WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Worst place(s) for resupply

Other than the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine what is the worst area for resupply along the AT? Why does it suck? Distance from AT? Prices? Accomodations? Choices of supplies?

In other words, if you could set up your own resupply/hostel/etc, where would you do it?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Parts of SOVA, from Pearisburg to Marion, are a resupply pain in the neck. Much of VA is tricky, as only Front Royal, Daleville and Damascus (as well as Pearisburg and Damascus) are convenient. I'd build and run a hostel anywhere there.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Journal Entries

Sorry...Marion is a great re-supply town, given the shuttle from Partnership shelter.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Port Clinton, PA unless you like candy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

any "bad" sections in NH for resupply? Might just bring a little trail magic for now.

any dream of building/running a hostel are a few years off. but I like to dream
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Other than the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine what is the worst area for resupply along the AT? Why does it suck? Distance from AT? Prices? Accomodations? Choices of supplies?

In other words, if you could set up your own resupply/hostel/etc, where would you do it?
    Resupply in central Virginia from north of Pearisburg to 4 Pines Hostel (Rt.624) can be really tricky. The caretaker there Joe will shuttle hikers to a convience store nearby.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    any "bad" sections in NH for resupply? Might just bring a little trail magic for now.

any dream of building/running a hostel are a few years off. but I like to dream
    Resupply in the white mountains at Crawford Notch is bad and hitching is tough there. Otherwise NH is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Or peanuts.

Port Clinton really isn't that bad, there's a side trail off the AT that goes into Hamburg. I can't remember how long it is, but less then 3 miles.

Images

i love how you are thinking!!! I've had the same thoughts, but for now I'm working on finishing the AT. my current plan is to finish CT and MA before Black Fly season and then go from VT through ME starting in mid June.

Glasgow VA needs a hostel bad, if i was going to start a hostel it woulkd be in the Glasgow area, however i always thought the worst place for resupply is Monson Me and Hampton TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    Parts of SOVA, from Pearisburg to Marion, are a resupply pain in the neck. Much of VA is tricky, as only Front Royal, Daleville and Damascus (as well as Pearisburg and Damascus) are convenient. I'd build and run a hostel anywhere there.
    Okay whats SOVA ?

Southern VA

Journal Entries

Fontana Dam I was not happy with, somewhat limited and $$$$. That would not be so bad if it was not the start of a long way till the next resupply (assuming planning to skip G-burg)

Clingman's Dome store - nothing practical for thru hikers to buy.

For that matter Gatlingburg has to get a nod also as they put the supermarket outside of the town.

Minor resupplies can also be such a crapshoot, can be good, or useless, can't really know till you get there.

Not that it is a bad resupply, but Damascus also has the supermarket a wee too far from the trail. For a town that likes to say it's the more hiker friendly trail on the AT, I think they could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I have always either carried enough food from Duncannon or hitched into Hamburg ( a very easy hitch ), the only time i stop in Port Clinton is when i want to stay at the Pavillion.

Journal Entries

Also AMC Mohegian center, mail drop went MIA, and they offered to sell me sandwiches while I waited for them to check 'today's mail', and only after I got tracking info and found it was delivered the day before and was going to report this to the USPS did my package appear to have been there all along.

Trent's Grocery (SW Virginia) was very depleted when I was there last spring. The hamburgers were fine, but the food offerings were meager.

++ New Posts ++