WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Lodging at Camp Merrill

Has anybody ever stayed at the Overhang Club lodging at Camp Merrill? Looks like $50/night, 2 night minimum. Last time that I was there, I didn't have time to enjoy it.

http://militaryliving.com/camp-frank...-(ga23r1).html
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

haven't stayed there but I'm sure it's a great place for active duty or retired military to stay. I wonder how close we came to being at Camp Merill at same time? I was a student there in late October 1976, with Ranger Class 1-7T. The Mountain phase was by far my favorite phase of Ranger school. The Florida phase really, really sucked in Nov-76. Never since have I been that wet, cold and miserable as being out in the Yellow River swamp at that time. Hoo-yah!

Congrats to both of you, I was asked at the out briefing after jump school. "anybody want to continue to ranger pre?" Should have. Got on the bus to Bragg instead.

Would have been class of '84 Dec.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    haven't stayed there but I'm sure it's a great place for active duty or retired military to stay. I wonder how close we came to being at Camp Merill at same time? I was a student there in late October 1976, with Ranger Class 1-7T. The Mountain phase was by far my favorite phase of Ranger school. The Florida phase really, really sucked in Nov-76. Never since have I been that wet, cold and miserable as being out in the Yellow River swamp at that time. Hoo-yah!
    I was in 9-76, Apr May Jun 76. Wasn't the worst weather.

I'd like to see it again, the years have softened the memory some. At least I could not fear getting dropped by a RI. I went to Bragg after the course. RLTW.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I was in 9-76, Apr May Jun 76. Wasn't the worst weather.

I'd like to see it again, the years have softened the memory some. At least I could not fear getting dropped by a RI. I went to Bragg after the course. RLTW.
    I'm the good looking kid with glasses on the right side, 4th row, 3rd one in.

9-76.jpg
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I did'nt think there was such a thing as a good looking ranger.

Images

ouch! but after the lobotomy they don't care...
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

camp_merrill.jpg Nov 76 view of Camp Merrill, from a Marine huey, while ferrying Praha4 and the rest of you Dog Faces around the Georgia back country!

Journal Entries
    Images

My Mom and Dad stayed there years ago for a Reunion of Rudder's Rangers. As I recall Dad said it was plush. Mom a little rugged. Pretty sure all they had to pick up was travel expenses. The thinking being if one survived being in the 2nd Ranger Battalion, living thru WWII and then making it to your 80's that some time together with your brothers should be free. If I recall correctly Ranger School back then was conducted for the most part in England with British instructors. There was a pretty good turnover because all most all of the WW2 Rangers were wounded in Battle sooner or later. Than recovered and went back to the Unit when able. Rudder was also a front line commander known to show up where the actual lines were not established on a regular basis.

I got to rappel off the 30 foot tower at Frank D. Merrill when I was in the fifth grade in 1977. My teacher was the commandant's wife. She pulled some strings and we go a field trip to tour the camp. We even got to eat C rations for lunch. That was the best field trip I had in all twelve years of school. I bet that trip would not be allowed today.

only john

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyJohn View Post
    I got to rappel off the 30 foot tower at Frank D. Merrill when I was in the fifth grade in 1977. My teacher was the commandant's wife. She pulled some strings and we go a field trip to tour the camp. We even got to eat C rations for lunch. That was the best field trip I had in all twelve years of school. I bet that trip would not be allowed today.

only john
    I got to rappel off the 30’ tower at Camp Merrill and Mt Yonah. And I ate many C rations (actually MCI – Meal, Combat, Individual).Never met the commandant’s wife, tho.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

That was 38 years ago, but I still remember it well. Sergeant DeBartolo led our group. Hearding 30 eleven year olds for a day must have been punishment for something.

onlyjohn

Journal Entries

Has anyone investigated approaching Springer Mtn from Camp Merrill - rather than from Amicalola?

Default you could, but I don't think they'll let you

Quote Originally Posted by MadRanger View Post
    Has anyone investigated approaching Springer Mtn from Camp Merrill - rather than from Amicalola?
    getting into Merrill then walking around in Merrill is probably going to be difficult. that being said, you'll cross Winding Stair Gap road or Cooper Gap road depending on how west or north you leave the camp. you can take either one of those roads to the Springer parking lot.

I did this once back in 1981. I was at a camp at the ranger camp that was a Boy Scout/Ranger camp experience. One of our tasks was to bushwhack cross country from Merrill to Springer. The problem was that the camp is completely circled by a network of trails and narrow roads and once you got to a ridge there was a trail which generally led toward Hawk Mountain. At that time the AT was about a ridge north of where the trail is now and some groups followed the trails to the AT at this point and then to Springer. Our group found a trail that paralleled the road to about Winding Stair Gap then we followed the road to the AT up to Springer.

I think they dropped this adventure from the camp after just a couple of years because it was too rough on the adults.

++ New Posts ++