WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy I stank up my sleeping bag, any cure?

Slept out two nights with a group of scouts this past weekend with a mix of snow and rain. My down sleeping bag got a little damp. Some from my breath near the head (which is unavoidable, and some just from a bit of condensation. No big deal, par for the course. But then I did the exact opposite of what I tell the scouts to do. I literally told a few nearby scouts that I would normally hang the bag because it will dry out even in the cold (it was clear and cold on Sunday morning), but since we were heading home I was taking a shortcut and I packed up my bag damp. I should have practiced what I preached. My mistake really comes that I toss my backpack into the front seat of my car, start the engine to warm it up and defrost, and then promptly forgot it was running while us adults made and ate breakfast. By the time I realized it, the car was nice and toasty and smelled like a locker room. My fear was confirmed when I unpacked at home and the bag was the source of the smell.

So my question now is, aside from the obvious of drying the bag out (I've got it hanging with a fan blowing on it and I turn it inside out every now and then), is there anything else I should be doing. I've got at least two more snow campouts before i would put the bag up for the season. Am I forced to wash this thing now, and again at the end of the season? I generally try to avoid washing sleeping bags as much as possible, and always use a liner to keep them clean. Will the odor fade as it dries? Have I permanently infected my bag with mildew, or does down just stink when wet? Any advise, pointers, and smacks to the back of the head appreciated.

Images

It should not have mildewed in less than 24 hours. Down is not THAT delicate. We often have to pack up a wet or damp sleeping bag. Just remember to dry it out at the first opportunity. Eating breakfast, then driving home will not do any harm.

I've had my most used down bag for about 6 years now, been slept in for a minimum of 250 - 300 nights and I have never laundered it. I also use a silk liner and wash the liner frequently. Some lasting odor will be inevitable, but it should not reek.

Toss it into the dryer on "warm" (add a tennis ball or relatively clean running shoe) for several minutes, then switch to "fluff", and let it run for an hour or so without heat. After that store it either hanging or in it's storage sack and you should be good to go. Do not add any dryer sheets or the like, you want the static electricity to properly fluff the down. Just check the temp periodically during the "warm" cycle to make sure it doesn't overheat - it's possible to melt the nylon if your dryer gets too hot.

Images

Just wanted to add, wet down is kinda like a wet dog - has an unpleasant odor that disappears when it dries out.

Images

Images

That probably is a good video, I did't watch it, but I highly doubt the bag needs washing after just two night's use. It's best to wash down only when needed, not after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    It should not have mildewed in less than 24 hours. Down is not THAT delicate. We often have to pack up a wet or damp sleeping bag. Just remember to dry it out at the first opportunity. Eating breakfast, then driving home will not do any harm.
    I wouldn't have thought so, but the bag did get the sauna treatment with the heat blasting.

For anything requiring washing or drying I'd have to take it to a laundromat, my dryer is so old it basically has two settings...on and off. (Washer is equally antiquated).

Thanks everyone for the tips so far.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    That probably is a good video, I did't watch it, but I highly doubt the bag needs washing after just two night's use. It's best to wash down only when needed, not after every use.
    The video illustrates the complete cleaning process, perhaps one need only implement the "drying" segment on given occasion...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    The video illustrates the complete cleaning process, perhaps one need only implement the "drying" segment on given occasion...
    Good Point.

Coincidentally, the bag in that video is my exact sleeping bag!

I've got the bag hanging with a fan on it for now, I hope that is adequate for now. We are prepping for a blizzard here, so I won't have an opportunity to visit a laundromat for a few days (depending on how many feet of snow we get).

f I used a laundromat, I would choose the biggest dryer (front loading only) and put my hand on the window to check the temperature throughout the drying cycle. Those laundromat dryers can build up heat.

I asked at a quilting store where they send out laundry. Now, I let them send out my down gear.

Living in the city, I asked the manufacturer what laundry they recommended. Like that.

Big 20" fan at home sounds good to me!

Images

you can purchase a down wash and wash it use a commercial washing machine not an agitator type machine dry on medium heat and throw a couple of tennis balls in the dryer with the bag-it would be rare to have down develop an odor like you describe in such a short period of time especially from the small amount of condensation you mentoned- I dont know what type bag you have- I bought a cheap down jacket from wally world a couple of years ago and when it got wet it had a really bad funky odor which finally went away after i washed it several times- i examined the tag which indicated that it had 20%f fowl feathers if your bag is an inexpensive one it could be that there are fowl feathers mixed in with the down and that is where the odor is coming from. down when wet will develop a little funky odor but not a roll down the car windows type of odor

These tips are for washing / drying a down jacket so they will work just as well for a down sleeping bag.

Journal Entries

My dryer at home works fine with my down bags. Its large, not as big as commercial, but works fine. Maybe better.

Down will lose noticeable loft in as little as 7 night of use. Dont be afraid to wash down.

That said, you dont need to probably. Dont let it sit wet though, or it may mildew. Put in a dryer pronto.

Images

JustTom

You can also add a lightweight bivy sack to help protect your down bag from condensation, splash, etc...

Just curious, what type of liners are you using for down bags?

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    JustTom

You can also add a lightweight bivy sack to help protect your down bag from condensation, splash, etc...
    I do have a sleeping bag cover (not really a full bivy) that has a water proof bottom and is supposed to have a breathable top, but I didn't use it since it wasn't going to be cold enough.

I attribute the moisture to the weather conditions. Friday was a below freezing and it snowed a wet heavy snow over night. This pressed in the walls of my single wall range tarp to the point it contacted my sleeping bag. (It collapsed one of the tents actually, it was some heavy stuff). So that plus condensation from my breath around the opening had the bag a little damp. On the shell only, mind you, the bag never got wet inside. Then on Saturday it turnined into sleet and rain and was all around sloppy all day so I had no opportunity to dry it out. I zipped up the storm flaps on my shelter with a few inches of venting on each end to keep the weather out. Saturday night the precipitation stopped and the temperature dropped again just below freezing. All that moisture in the air from the day then just drops out and frosts onto eberything. This kind of weather drives me crazy, and we get it alot in coastal CT. I wish it would just get below freezing and stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Just curious, what type of liners are you using for down bags?
    100% polyester sleeping bag liner. I cannot say I enjoy using a sleeping liner, I always feel like I'm getting tangled up. I know some people use silk, but I've also heard people complain about it not drying well?

If the sleeping bag bivy is too heavy or bulky to carry every time, look around for a replacement. Instructions are available how to sew these fabrics: YouTube has instructions. TiGoat has lightweight bivies for sale.

I tried liners. I settled on sleeping clothing silkweights bottoms, merino top and because I read about it here I will have a merino top with hood. That will be easier to use than a beanie or a full head cover balaclava to keep my hair off the sleeping bag, as well.

How is it going? When I found out where to send my "home" down quilt, it was better than new.

Lay your stinky bag out in the sun. After a while turn it inside out and fluff it up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++