WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Luxury items"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MarkCevoli View Post
    I see a lot of people talking about pack weight and stressing about it all.

I dont know what my pack weighs, I have most of my essential gear, nothing extra, real bare bones with the essentials. That will weigh what it weighs.

Then I need a few extra things to document what I need to document for this thru hike.
    A camera, a tape recorder, journal, and two books. This will certainly add another 5??ish pounds.

Ill pack my bag and then unpack it, shake myself down, twice, and repack it. None of those "extra" items are leaving though, they presuppose the hike.

After all of that I will weigh my bag, it will be in the redder zones, hopefully not above 40lbs.

So my question for you,

What is you essential non-essential, or rather, luxury items in your bag this 2015 thru?

Samsung 5 with 4 extra batteries, and a book. The batteries don't hardly weigh much, and it will ensure I have plenty of time to call my kids at night, listen to music, or whatever , without worrying about battery life

Quote Originally Posted by MarkCevoli View Post
    I see a lot of people talking about pack weight and stressing about it all.

I dont know what my pack weighs, I have most of my essential gear, nothing extra, real bare bones with the essentials. That will weigh what it weighs.

Then I need a few extra things to document what I need to document for this thru hike.
    A camera, a tape recorder, journal, and two books. This will certainly add another 5??ish pounds.

Ill pack my bag and then unpack it, shake myself down, twice, and repack it. None of those "extra" items are leaving though, they presuppose the hike.

After all of that I will weigh my bag, it will be in the redder zones, hopefully not above 40lbs.

So my question for you,

What is you essential non-essential, or rather, luxury items in your bag this 2015 thru?
    So you think you'll be carrying 40lbs before food and water? I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound "bare bones" to me, that sounds like a world of hurt.

You'll soon realize that food is your ultimate luxury item. Save room for it.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

A dog.......

40 lb pack?

painyo.png
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    40 lb pack?

painyo.png
    Not that I recommend it, but a 40-50lb pack was the norm in the 1980's and 1990's...

...Then again measles was the norm back in the 1940's, maybe progress isn't such a bad thing.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I carry a "SPOT Connect" (satellite transmitter), Cell Phone, and ONE of several options to keep it charged ... makes my wife feel better.

(If I left these items at home I'd have my base weight down to 10.5# so not much else that I would consider a luxury item)

I find the term "luxury item" and the discussions and explanations that follow very interesting.

At some level, almost everything in my pack could be considered a luxury item. I mean, a tent, a pack and a sleeping bag would be luxury items to Grandma Gatewood. We all make a decision about what we want to carry (and what we don't) based on the safety, utility or comfort that that item gives us. I bet for every item in my pack someone could make an argument for not carrying it. In the end, the decision is your own. And, that decision is always based on your personal comfort, or in other words , your luxury.
    my 2cents.

There are a few folks that hike barefoot. To them socks and shoes are a luxury. And then there's the no TP , no underwear folks. no shelter.
    Bring what you think you need, and when you realize you don't need it send it home.Try to trim your wt. but don't be uncomfortable.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ny breakfast View Post
    biodegradable toilet paper and wet wipes and qiwiz trowel
    Totally not luxury items in my book!! Especially the TP and wipes. I am partial to a well-cleaned bum
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

The long xtherm pad (it's wider and more comfy to me)
    My nemo pillow (came highly recommended by a 2012 thru-hiker. Thanks Matt)
    The mini pump for my xtherm and nemo pillow.
    A leather bound journal
    My mascot "Bear"
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

In 07 I hiked Maine in around 25 days at the tail end of 4 months on the trail. A couple years later I took 40 days to hike only Maine, and added a collapsable fishing rod, a glow in the dark star chart, a pillow, a 2 man tent (instead of solo), and a flask to my pack. To me that's trail life at it's finest.

Phone and solar charger/battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by comanche8f View Post
    Samsung 5 with 4 extra batteries, and a book. The batteries don't hardly weigh much, and it will ensure I have plenty of time to call my kids at night, listen to music, or whatever , without worrying about battery life
    Dont bring a book or a kindle !!! You will not have time to read. I brought a kindle and trying to get rid of it. Just started and now on mile 30 at Neel Gap with some good people.

Erez

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++