WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ending on the far side of Katahdin.

I was wondering if any of the class of 2006 has considered ending thier NOBO on the far side of Katahdin?

In the past I can see why it made the most sense to come down the way you went up-- in part because you were assured of a place to stay at (the now closed) Daicy Pond Campsite the evening you came down. But now, thru hikers don't have that guarantee, right? As I understand things, you are supposed to stay just one night at the Birches. And that one night would most assuredly be the one before your summit. I think, anyway.

The big down side to my idea is that you would have to carry a pack up Katahdin. Still, your pack will never be lighter. On your last day, you will hardly feel it!

I think the upside couild be huge, however. If the weather is good you can cross the Knife Edge. Its about a mile with drop offs on either side. There is absolutely nothing like it in the East. If the weather is bad, or if you get a bit of vertigo, you can alway decend by another route, which will take you by a beautiful pond to the "North"-- and on a short spur by another pond with a magnificent view of Katahdin that most thru hikers never see. I think TJ has posted some good moose shots from it.

Another thing is that the campground you would end up at is Roaring Brook. Among other facilities it has a bunkhouse. Things may have changed, but it used to be that the bunkhouses often had cancellations. You could check into this before you cimb Katahdin, or just take a chance. Well, not sure about the taking a chance part. YMMV. Or shoul I say your style may vary.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that this is the best idea for everyone. It most certainly isn't the norm. I just think that it would be an option that some NOBOs might well consider.

Even if most won't!
    Last edited by rickb; 10-28-2005 at 16:09.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

Of the 20+ hikers that summited with me about half took the Knife Edge down. Not so much as a long-ago plan but just that they felt like taking it down that day. You've got to take a pack with some food and extra clothes up Katahdin regardless, whichever way you come down. And the KE isn't any longer of a trip then going back down the AT. Only hard part of taking the KE is it gets you to a road that's hard to hitch from, but often other hikers have rides waiting for them, so you can just jump on there if you talk to them beforehand.

Yeah, the Birches is one night only, but there are campsites right there for $9 a person if you wanted to stay right there after your summit.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I have summited K a couple of times now. I would like to take the knife edge down one of these times but I can never get the person I am hiking with to do so... Someday.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Last year we summited on a beautiful sunny day and just had to go down via the Knife Edge and the Helon Taylor trail. No prior planning. Decision was made on the top.

At the Roaring Brook parking lot we just pestered a few hikers who were finishing up their day hikes and getting into their cars. The second group (two Canadians) gave us a ride. We had actually seen them on the top as they were looping the other direction.

Our car was at Abol Bridge, so we said we wanted to get dropped at the Abol Pond picknick area which they graciously agreed to, going a few miles out of their way past the south gate. Then we walked across to our car, drove around and into the park and picked up our stuff.

Just do it!

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear
    Just do it!
    Sounds like a gorgeous hike down! If conditions are right when I get up there I'll be sure to take the scenic route down.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    I was wondering if any of the class of 2006 has considered ending thier NOBO on the far side of Katahdin?

In the past I can see why it made the most sense to come down the way you went up-- in part because you were assured of a place to stay at (the now closed) Daicy Pond Campsite the evening you came down. But now, thru hikers don't have that guarantee, right? As I understand things, you are supposed to stay just one night at the Birches. And that one night would most assuredly be the one before your summit. I think, anyway.

The big down side to my idea is that you would have to carry a pack up Katahdin. Still, your pack will never be lighter. On your last day, you will hardly feel it!

I think the upside couild be huge, however. If the weather is good you can cross the Knife Edge. Its about a mile with drop offs on either side. There is absolutely nothing like it in the East. If the weather is bad, or if you get a bit of vertigo, you can alway decend by another route, which will take you by a beautiful pond to the "North"-- and on a short spur by another pond with a magnificent view of Katahdin that most thru hikers never see. I think TJ has posted some good moose shots from it.

Another thing is that the campground you would end up at is Roaring Brook. Among other facilities it has a bunkhouse. Things may have changed, but it used to be that the bunkhouses often had cancellations. You could check into this before you cimb Katahdin, or just take a chance. Well, not sure about the taking a chance part. YMMV. Or shoul I say your style may vary.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that this is the best idea for everyone. It most certainly isn't the norm. I just think that it would be an option that some NOBOs might well consider.

Even if most won't!
    Even better would be to do the knife Edge and then take the Dudley Trail to Chimney Pond for a final trail night. Chimney Pond is probably the most spectacular campsite anywhere within a couple of miles of the AT.

Either seek Chimney Pond reservations in advance, or gamble that space will be available. If you gamble and lose you still will enjoy the visit to Chimney Pond at a cost of only an extra couple of final day trail miles. Chimney Pond to the auto road at Roaring Brook is a relatively easy and fast 3+ miles. I know of at least one three-year-old who made the trip up and back and all on his own feet.

Weary

BTW. Chimney Pond fills up fast. Your best chance is mid week after Labor Day.

++ New Posts ++