WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Section 14b

Default Section 14b

I completed section 14B

It was close to home and goes by the gate to my hunting club, is there anyone who would like to see this section blazed?

Who do I see about allowing some friends and myself to blaze this section of trail?

This is section 14b of the coastal cressent trail, I'm sorry, I guess it is a temporary part of the MST.

Quote Originally Posted by big deal View Post
    I completed section 14B

It was close to home and goes by the gate to my hunting club, is there anyone who would like to see this section blazed?

Who do I see about allowing some friends and myself to blaze this section of trail?
    Be careful blazing sections of trail without checking with the trail maintenance or managing group first. If this is the MST, that managing authority would be Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail (http://www.ncmst.org). They may have some need for volunteers or may not take up your offer to help if the trail is temporary or other issues you would not know of. More often than not, when people take on these kinds of projects without coordination with the managing group they end up having to undo the work for any number of reasons.

I checked and this is part of the MST. That is why I asked about who to talk to about blazing it, I wouldn't do it on my own. I just joined the FMST and ordered my new license plate. This section is all along roads except for the part through Burgaw. I'll try contacting FMST to see who we can get together to mark this section, I you don't have the guide you can easily walk right off the trail on the wrong road.

Bringing a old thread back to life - it is my understanding that it has taken some time to get permission from all the agencies involved in order to get the trail blazed. In the meantime, there are 80+ more miles about to move off-road to dirt tread, a good chunk of that in the Bladen/Pender County areas. I think that will bring the remaining road walking close to about 350 (of 1175 total miles.)

Signs are now posted in Sampson, Pender & Bladen Counties (mainly for drivers and to help raise awareness of the MST among the general public) and blazing is in progress and will continue for some time. (Need to be reasonably sure it's not going to rain for 24 hours to give the paint adequate time to dry.) I know some work has been done in the Jacksonville-New Bern areas, but I don't have any details.

Next is Cumberland County.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by big deal View Post
    I completed section 14B

Great to sea another MSTer on here.

I am actually a maintainer for the MST; formerly of the Falls Lake area and now in the mountains.

Surprisingly that you brought up the subject right now. There is actually a blazing initiative currently in progress for the Mountain to Sea Trail right now, the "Big Screw". Within the last year, NC approved the blazing of the MST road routes. Within the last few months, MST volunteers have been attaching MST blazing signs to existing road signs at turns and major intersections starting from Stone Mtn SP and moving eastward.

As for the coastal sections from around Smithfield, there should be some signage already blazed within the last week. Other areas awaiting finalization in places after the route is GPSed for NCDOT.

Here's the signage
    https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...2b&oe=5BE85E10

If you are interested in volunteering for the trail, give the FMST office in Raleigh a call and they can direct you to a Task Force leader near you. The Falls Lake task force is one of the largest groups. And usually has public work days once a month during the spring and fall. I am not familiar with the eastern leaders, but I know there is an active group around Sneads Ferry. They cut new trail through Stones Creek Gamelands.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Great to sea another MSTer on here.
    I am actually a maintainer for the MST; formerly of the Falls Lake area and now in the mountains.
    Surprisingly that you brought up the subject right now. There is actually a blazing initiative currently in progress for the Mountain to Sea Trail right now, the "Big Screw". Within the last year, NC approved the blazing of the MST road routes. Within the last few months, MST volunteers have been attaching MST blazing signs to existing road signs at turns and major intersections starting from Stone Mtn SP and moving eastward.
    As for the coastal sections from around Smithfield, there should be some signage already blazed within the last week. Other areas awaiting finalization in places after the route is GPSed for NCDOT.
    If you are interested in volunteering for the trail, give the FMST office in Raleigh a call and they can direct you to a Task Force leader near you. The Falls Lake task force is one of the largest groups. And usually has public work days once a month during the spring and fall. I am not familiar with the eastern leaders, but I know there is an active group around Sneads Ferry. They cut new trail through Stones Creek Gamelands.
    Cool, thanks for the info! I've done some day hikes out here on parts of the Falls Lake section. Very nice work you all have done.

Do you have any current info on the status of the mountains part of the trail? Specifically the FMST website says there's one section around Maggie Valley that still has a considerably long road walk and I was wondering if there are plans in place to re-route off of the roads.

Reason I'm asking is I'm considering taking a break from section hiking the AT next year (not crazy about PA) and hiking the "mountains" part of the MST, from Stone Mountain state park westward. If that road walk is going to be re-routed soon I'd rather hold off until it's complete, but if it's not I can just skip it.
    It's all good in the woods.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

LittleRock sent you a PM.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++