WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default workshops at shelters

Not everyone who starts a NOBO in Mar. or Apr is a complete fool. But yes some are. So here is my idea. The experienced hikers could do a workshop every evening at the shelter they are at, say at 6:00/ 6:30 /7:00, pick a time so people know what to expect. Just a short little lecture/ workshop on stuff like LNT, digging a cathole with a stick, setting up/ taking down your tent in the rain, other general rain issues, cooking, generic Q&A period, staying warm, etc, etc. after a while these "workshops" would drift away, but just might save some newbies from a lot of pain and trouble. Yes and me being a newbie I'ld appreciate the info.
    Nothing very formal or organized, just sitting around sharing info, experience.

Journal Entries

I've seen a little bit of this kind of thing. I remember being at a shelter in Georgia. Some of the other folks were part of a trail club and knew each other. One of them demonstrated a PCT-style bear bag hang, and others learned from watching and trying it out themselves.

There's a lot of informal learning that happens just by observing others. If I see somebody with a clever solution to a problem I've been dealing with, I'm gonna ask them about it. If somebody asks me, I'll share. From the context of your post, it sounds like you're suggesting this for the thru-hiker crowd as they start out. It's probably not a bad idea to be a little proactive about teaching one another, and who knows, it could save someone's life, or at least make their day bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Not everyone who starts a NOBO in Mar. or Apr is a complete fool. But yes some are. So here is my idea. The experienced hikers could do a workshop every evening at the shelter they are at, say at 6:00/ 6:30 /7:00, pick a time so people know what to expect. Just a short little lecture/ workshop on stuff like LNT, digging a cathole with a stick, setting up/ taking down your tent in the rain, other general rain issues, cooking, generic Q&A period, staying warm, etc, etc. after a while these "workshops" would drift away, but just might save some newbies from a lot of pain and trouble. Yes and me being a newbie I'ld appreciate the info.
    that's what a caretaker is for

One of the reasons that the southern section is beat to death now is because "experienced hikers" want to be there to give advice to the newbies.

"Experienced hikers" should avoid the trail when it's already crowded.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

There is usually a bit of it, sometimes by previous thru hikers. Some come across poorly, and arent well recieved.

Its hard to criticize someones gear, and everything they are doing, without basically telling them they are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    One of the reasons that the southern section is beat to death now is because "experienced hikers" want to be there to give advice to the newbies.

"Experienced hikers" should avoid the trail when it's already crowded.
    i'll be on springer 21 march. i'll use no shelters or privies. i will give no advice

I know I'm probably a horrible person, but as long as it's not going to kill em, I like watching people make mistakes. Entertainment is important to me.

Besides, I feel as if I gained more respect for doing things the proper way by mucking it up a few times and paying the consequences.

Making Mistakes is how we as humans learn if their was a experienced hiker giving Lectures I really don't think people would learn anything and they probably wouldn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'll be on springer 21 march. i'll use no shelters or privies. i will give no advice

Putting on another hiker feed?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Learn by doing.

never put on one before, ain't about to start. i will try to get folks to blue-blaze with me from hightower gap to gooch gap on FS42. great views and water on the road

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Does a bottle of moonshine really count as a "feed?"
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I definitely think this idea has potential. I would think that it's the sort of thing that might best be done by or coordinated with the ridgerunners.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I'm just wondering how the workshop would be received. I think a lot of hikers would regard it as Hike MY Hike, Dammit ! type of mentality.

http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

I don't use the shelters, so I wouldn't be able to listen in. I still don't feel comfortable with my own level of expertise to offer it to someone else; however, if I see someone struggling with whatever, I would probably ask, "Would you allow me to show you something about that?" This puts the option on them to accept or decline.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

just announce a Yellow Blazing workshop, you'll have a packed house

It's fun to go down to Springer during prime time and mingle with all the wannabe's starting out. It's always fun to show up at Woods Hole shelter and announce "Congratulations, you've just competed 1.2% of AT" and listen to all the groans.

But seriously, if there was a full time caretaker at one of the early shelters, putting on an evening workshop might not be too bad an idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I listened to an interesting podcast, "Invisibilia", this week about a blind man and how he developed his echo-location skills so acutely that on MRI his brain fired as if he were sighted. He attributes his superior development of this skill to the fact that his mother was extremely permissive and allowed him to explore the world for himself, fall, fail and figure things out. He has no eyes yet, he has learned to ride a bicycle. He feels strongly that as a society, when we "Help" blind kids, rather than protecting them we are stifiling their opportunity to expand. In effect, we cripple them by not allowing them to find how far they can go by themselves.

Want someone to rob you of the opportunity to expand fully? Just my thought for the day.

Good Luck on your hike

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

Want someone to rob you of the opportunity to expand fully? Just my thought for the day.

Good Luck on your hike
    Sure, but one of the reasons humans dominate the Earth is we can pass our knowledge and experiences to others and then to build on that knowledge.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sure, but one of the reasons humans dominate the Earth is we can pass our knowledge and experiences to others and then to build on that knowledge.
    Shoulder's of giants, so to speak. Sounds like a worthy perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    You're such a nice fella.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++