WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

You're a real hiker when the Super Bowl is coming but you plan a long backpacking trip the day before. It's a choice between television and being a couch potato---or hiking. ALWAYS and irrevocably be out hiking. Remember this time honored mantra---

If you're indoors you're a failure. If you're outside you're a success.

Where the hell is that like button

Images

I don't normally care much about watching overpaid prima donna thugs, regardless of what kind of ball they use.
    This year it just happens that I hate both teams equally.
    I have a doctor appointment on Friday and plan to head back to Citico on Saturday. By the time I get back to civilization it will be old news.
    It won't matter to me if I never learn the results of the game.

Default your a real hiker when

The 5 second dropped food rule doesn't apply anywhere.

You can smell approaching people's laundry detergent on their clothes long before you pass on the trail.

Images

Default You're a real hiker when....

....upon coming out of the woods you stop at your first restaurant and don't even bother to inspect your coffee cup for floating insect carcasses.
    (and if you were to find one there you wouldn't pay any attention to it.)

Strok'in it means getting your cook stove going

Your riding on the bus, and you check out each tree for food hang potential.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Your riding on the bus, and you check out each tree for food hang potential.

Yes, or hammock-hanging potential.

You know you're a hiker when you carry an extra pair of socks and some footpowder to work, in an air conditioned office.

Images

You know that you are a hiker when you can smell the "fresh, soapy scents" of town folk way before they can smell your hiker aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'll be on the forums for a while, I may be a real hiker, but I'm also a new parent...
    So...you never heard of a baby carrier pack?

Congratulations!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    So...you never heard of a baby carrier pack?

Congratulations!
    Using an Ergo front pack right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

You know your a real hiker after completing your first poop in the woods!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L8Hiker View Post
    Followed by your first post on WhiteBlaze?

Quote Originally Posted by L8Hiker View Post
    You're a real hiker after completing your 4th book on pooping in the woods and studying in detail Man's bout with his angry Turds.

In fact, on my last trip I had a near struggle to the death with a mean and angry Turtlehead and . . . . well . . . here's the journal entry---

January 15 2015 Day 16

8F DEGREE TURD PACKET
    Unfortunately just after eating oatmeal and being warm and satisfied a terrorist turtlehead wanted out in the worst way but a pot of tea was coming to a boil and it was dark and cold outside. I waited and felt impending splash down. Once the tea boiled I turned off the stove and grabbed 2 paper towels and unzipped the fly door and ran out to dig a hole. Before completing the head of the irritable stool poked out necessitating a quick strip down, squat and release. What came out had a human face and spoke clearly in Latin:

"Offal protestium exflange urgentsium fecallia. Ecce Effluvium." Translation: "This turd protests being held back by a sphincter skin-flap (flange?) and must come out. Behold the Turd."

It sat on the ground and wanted to be hand-carried to my next several campsites and wanted to stay with me but it could not be carried as it was more a melted ice cream pancake batter mix with no real hand-holds and so we talked and it was slowly buried as it cried. It's been my only companion on a long lonely trip and I now feel bad and miss Young William. Long gestation but a quick goodbye---the story of a man and his turd. I left the best part of me on the banks of the South Fork.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

When you are posting updates to WB from inside a shelter in 5* weather.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

When you give your hiking boots blisters

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You're a real hiker after completing your 4th book on pooping in the woods and studying in detail Man's bout with his angry Turds.

In fact, on my last trip I had a near struggle to the death with a mean and angry Turtlehead and . . . . well . . . here's the journal entry---

January 15 2015 Day 16

8F DEGREE TURD PACKET
    Unfortunately just after eating oatmeal and being warm and satisfied a terrorist turtlehead wanted out in the worst way but a pot of tea was coming to a boil and it was dark and cold outside. I waited and felt impending splash down. Once the tea boiled I turned off the stove and grabbed 2 paper towels and unzipped the fly door and ran out to dig a hole. Before completing the head of the irritable stool poked out necessitating a quick strip down, squat and release. What came out had a human face and spoke clearly in Latin:

"Offal protestium exflange urgentsium fecallia. Ecce Effluvium." Translation: "This turd protests being held back by a sphincter skin-flap (flange?) and must come out. Behold the Turd."

It sat on the ground and wanted to be hand-carried to my next several campsites and wanted to stay with me but it could not be carried as it was more a melted ice cream pancake batter mix with no real hand-holds and so we talked and it was slowly buried as it cried. It's been my only companion on a long lonely trip and I now feel bad and miss Young William. Long gestation but a quick goodbye---the story of a man and his turd. I left the best part of me on the banks of the South Fork.
    This...always this

Journal Entries
    Images

when you can recite the lines to "Southbounders"

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yeah, this! And you spend on average $600/month, that's 7-grand a year on gear and other outdoor supplies....
    Feeling wholly inadequate That's it, call off the thru-hike!!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++