WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Looking for THAT appalachain trail poster

I'm sure many people know what poster I'm talking about, the one with a hiker on top of Katahdin in a fog collapsed against the sign. Honestly I can't even find a picture of it on the internet, I'm at a loss about what to put into the search bar on Google Images. I've only seen it in two places, at the ATC in Harper's Ferry and in a restaurant in Hot Springs, NC. Was it put out by the ATC? Any idea what the poster is actually called so I can find a picture of it? Thanks in advance.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Kat14.jpg
    meant to post image too

Well this popped up- Laurie P- http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=13

I think the one you are thinking of is closer to this- http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=8

If I am thinking of the right one- it was an ATC poster at one point that I believe is no longer available.

Let's see if this is the one your looking for. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=27041&c=574 It's the one I seem to remember put out by the ATC, I think.

Twilight

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    I'm sure many people know what poster I'm talking about, the one with a hiker on top of Katahdin in a fog collapsed against the sign. Honestly I can't even find a picture of it on the internet, I'm at a loss about what to put into the search bar on Google Images. I've only seen it in two places, at the ATC in Harper's Ferry and in a restaurant in Hot Springs, NC. Was it put out by the ATC? Any idea what the poster is actually called so I can find a picture of it? Thanks in advance.
    I think I know this painting, (not a photo) but cannot recall where I saw it. Its a lone hiker, no one else around, foggy summit, hanging off the Katahdin sign weeping. Is that the one? Very captivating.

If so, did AWOL use the image in his book? I can't find the book here but I think thats where I saw it.

This one has credit to Tom Vannoy as the photographer: http://www.followingredbeard.com/upl...1411506111.jpg

The poster is called The End of the Journey. i saw it in several places along the way and it was a very powerful image. If you use the search feature, this was a thread on this in the fall of 2010 (I remember it because it was the year of my hike). The gist of the thread was where to find it as it was out of print. Someone linked to an outfitter up in Rangely (I believe it was) Maine who, at the time, had a few left in stock. By the time I called, i got their last one. I am looking at it in my home office as I type. Reminds me a lot of the day I summitted - very gray,gloomy and foggy. Of all the AT prints/posters out there, this one by far is my favorite.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Yep..that is the one ( http://www.followingredbeard.com/upl...1411506111.jpg )

I have it hanging up in our spare bedroom/office/gear room.

It is indeed a powerful poster. Glad I have it.

I've said it before, of all the US hiking trails, I think Katahdin is the most beautiful and awe inspiring ending.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

I've said it before, of all the US hiking trails, I think Katahdin is the most beautiful and awe inspiring ending.
    I've seen pictures of the view. I've never seen the view because every time I go there, its in the fog. Frustrating. I have another couple trips planned this Summer in BSP, maybe I will finally see that famous view.

I get the following from your link:

We couldn't find the page you were looking for. This is either because:

• There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
    • The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted.

You can return to our homepage by clicking here, or you can try searching for the content you are seeking by clicking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    I get the following from your link:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Same for me.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Miles of nothing but woods from the summit view on an impressive peak. Many years ago, I had Katahdin in winter as my wallpaper. I was asked which CO 14er it was.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Miles of nothing but woods from the summit view on an impressive peak. Many years ago, I had Katahdin in winter as my wallpaper. I was asked which CO 14er it was.
    We Easterners suffer from altitude envy, but the best of our views stack up against anything in the West. And they're all the more appreciated for the slogging in the Green Tunnel that it takes to arrive at them. In the West, as I understand it, you're looking at the views all day long, rather than being graciously granted one every once in a while.

I have a number of hiking pictures on my office wall and on my screensaver. A Utahn colleague once saw one of them and exclaimed, "I didn't know you hiked out West!" I had to explain that the picture in question was taken less than a two-hour drive from Manhattan. People don't get how remote even the East can be once you're off the I-95 corridor.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    I've seen that at the Smoky Mtn Diner in Hot Springs. I would call the folks there to find out. It's not any if the ones I see on this thread but that one link didn't work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

We first saw the image on a 4" x 6" slightly crumpled photo that was sent into ATC and we had it on our 2,000-miler photo bulletin board. We then put it on the back of our magazine. It got such a positive reaction we made it into a poster. Unfortunately, it has been out of print for a number of years. Others have tried to replicate the pose, but nothing is quite as powerful as that original unposed image.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    We first saw the image on a 4" x 6" slightly crumpled photo that was sent into ATC and we had it on our 2,000-miler photo bulletin board. We then put it on the back of our magazine. It got such a positive reaction we made it into a poster. Unfortunately, it has been out of print for a number of years. Others have tried to replicate the pose, but nothing is quite as powerful as that original unposed image.
    Any chance of putting it back into print, perhaps a limited edition? Certainly a great fund raising product.

Laurie is correct. I took the picture (Tom Vannoy/Brother Angus) of Backpackin’ Fool on September 6, 1998. Unfortunately the negative was lost somehow between me and the ATC after the poster was made.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherangus View Post
    Laurie is correct. I took the picture (Tom Vannoy/Brother Angus) of Backpackin’ Fool on September 6, 1998. Unfortunately the negative was lost somehow between me and the ATC after the poster was made.
    Well, you did good. Sorry they lost your negative.

I have that poster, got it when hikes chair for a past ATC biennial. It is called The End of the Journey and the photographer is Tom Vannoy.

++ New Posts ++