WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?
    As pointed out, moderation is the cure for all things "not good for you". Drinking too much water can kill you, not drinking enough can kill you.

Hiking 14 miles in July heat and humidity, you will lose a lot of electrolytes (salt in various forms), which have to be replaced. Sodium is a critical component of electrolytes, controlling the amount of water in the body and important to regulate blood volume and maintainng muscle and nerve functions. if you don't replace this salt in your body you can develop serious health issues stemming from hyponatremia (too little sodium) that has among other symptoms headaches, weakness, lethargy, hallucinations, and muscle spasms. So some fast ingestion of sodium can be beneficial through Raman Soup. If, however, you are sedentary, each meal being Raman Soup, you can develop some serious sodium related health problems.

frankly I wouldn't worry about Ramen noodles or even their seasoning packets. What is going to put manythru hikers into an early grave is the chain smoking of cigarettes and the guzzling of beer and harder liquor that they seem keen on doing every chance they get.
    they will have no sympathy from me when the s* hits the fan. Y'all deserve what's comin to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    frankly I wouldn't worry about Ramen noodles or even their seasoning packets. What is going to put manythru hikers into an early grave is the chain smoking of cigarettes and the guzzling of beer and harder liquor that they seem keen on doing every chance they get.
    they will have no sympathy from me when the s* hits the fan. Y'all deserve what's comin to ya!
    And good morning to you too, David!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sorry, no.
    Alcohol is major risk factor for many kinds of cancer. The World Health Organization has stated that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.
    While it has anecdotal evidence in lowering risk of heart disease in some groups, this is not proven by any study , and is largely quackery. I can attest to many drinkers i know that had heart attacks, some dead. In fact, i would say most everyone i know that had heart disease was a drinker.

The drawbacks far outweigh any minor benefit.
    Sorry MW, but to say that the lowering of heart disease by 1 drink per day is not proven in any study and largely anecdotal and quackery is a bit of a stretch. First, no scientific study technically "proves" anything - true for cancer research, heart research, any research. The best you can have is a large number of valid, peer reviewed studies that are in agreement, in which case we can be can be confident of the results. As long as the data matches the theory, the theory is valid. There are oodles of valid, reviewed research published in the top medical journals consistent with the heart benefits of 1 drink per day or less.

But then you go on to point out that most everyone you know who has had heart disease was a drinker, which is in fact a completely non-scientific, anecdotal statement that you previously dismissed. While it is true that 1 drink per day is associated with in increased cancer risk, to call it a "major risk factor" is a qualitative statement that is only significant if balanced against the relative heart benefits of 1 drink per day and the relative risk of cancer vs heart disease (and because heart disease is a much greater risk, especially for older people, a small benefit will have a disproportionately greater benefit).

I know sodium is a "good for me" electrolyte, along with Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium as electrolytes.

I have wondered about the Chloride of NaCl "salt".

I am not a swimming pool.

;-)
    Last edited by Connie; 01-20-2015 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Yep, federal decriminalization of medical green bud in all states...
    aaaah...Nope, we parted years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Socks you can always strap yourself in with a piece of rope, if truly dedicated, one can install a five point harness and roll cage on the living room recliner,,,
    prolly end up hangin' me self.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I know sodium is a "good for me" electrolyte, along with Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium as electrolytes.

I have wondered about the Chloride of NaCl "salt". I am not a swimming pool.

;-)
    When I got out of the hospital a few years ago, the doc warned me that I might feel weak due to low sodium and potassium. I was driving, got weak, and pulled up to a roadside news stand that also sold snacks. I got an apple juice and a bag of potato chips, (both are loaded with potassium). I ate the goodies and ten minutes later I felt wonderful!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I have wondered about the Chloride of NaCl "salt".

I am not a swimming pool.

;-)
    The good news is that the chloride of salt has nothing to do with the chlorine in your swimming pool.

I am on my iPod Touch. I have difficulty getting a smiley. But you did see the winky, right?

Here it is, again. ;-)

So no margaritas [alcohol and salt]......bummer.

RUNT ''13''

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?
    Alcohol in moderation is good for you. Moderate alcohol drinkers (1 drink a day) are healthier than either heavy drinkers or tee-totalers.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The good news is that the chloride of salt has nothing to do with the chlorine in your swimming pool.
    Well, it's a stretch to say nothing to do with it. The Chloride in salt contains the same Chlorine that is in the pool. The difference is what it's combined with.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Well, it's a stretch to say nothing to do with it. The Chloride in salt contains the same Chlorine that is in the pool. The difference is what it's combined with.
    And you could say the water in the pool is rocket fuel but with the atoms arranged differently. True, but pointless.

FWIW regarding sodium in your diet and hypertension, from the Mayo Clinic (see risk factor #4) : http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...e/art-20046974
    "In proportion as [man] ...simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." – Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    FWIW regarding sodium in your diet and hypertension, from the Mayo Clinic (see risk factor #4) : http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...e/art-20046974

Thanks for this information from a reliable source.

For a long time I ignored the stuff about salt, but it is true, eating less lowers your blood pressure.

Another perspective to consider is that of a hiker on the trail. Here, you are burning calories like crazy, and I think that some of the equations start to shift a bit.

For example, I am a runner and after a 10-20 mile run, a can of Coke goes down really well. I don't drink the stuff otherwise (too much sugar), and for a sedentary person, too much sugar is problematic.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Journal Entries
    Images

I am on my iPod Touch. I have difficulty getting a smiley. But you did see the winky, right?

Here it is, again. ;-)
    Does anyone else remember Winkys? Better than McD.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    And you could say the water in the pool is rocket fuel but with the atoms arranged differently. True, but pointless.
    My favorite quote!

What's Not Good For You Anymore?

Aspartame, hydrogenated oil, MSG, and betting against the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Yes, Yes, Yes, I have no clue

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Now see, that right there is funny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++