WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana What's Not Good For You Anymore

According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?

Images

i have never had Ramen noodles on the trail. just a snack with the kids.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

It's not the noodles which are bad for you, it's the seasoning packet. Get rid of that and flavor it with something better - like hot chocolate.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    ...We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either...
    Sez WHO???? Seriously, this is just downright false. Period. Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Salt is fine for you as long as you are in general good health. A couple of scientists theorized that it was bad, yet I can't find a single reputable study that actually backs this up.

5 BS Health Myths People Still Believe (Thanks to One Guy)

#5. Salt Causes High Blood Pressure

Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images
    The Misconception:
    If you ask your parents (or maybe your grandparents, depending on how much of a whippersnapper you happen to be), there was once a time when salt was a glorious thing, enjoyed by the masses in wondrous abandon. If you went out to a nice restaurant, your entree was salt with a side of steak, and your dessert was a pack of unfiltered Camels. It was truly a magical era.
    Minerva Studio/iStock/Getty Images

"And a double martini to drink. Diet, please."
    Then, sometime in the latter part of the 20th century, that all changed. Suddenly, science figured out that salt was a crystalline boogeyman stiffening our arteries and causing our blood pressure to rise to literally vein-popping levels. Dinner would never be the same, and it was all based on some pretty flimsy-ass science.
    The Guy You Can Thank for It:
    Lewis Dahl.
    The suggestion of a possible link between salt and high blood pressure had been floating around since 1904, but the theory didn't really hit the mainstream until the 1970s, when Dahl from Brookhaven National Laboratory announced that he had discovered "unequivocal" evidence that salt caused hypertension. What exactly was said unequivocal evidence? Pretty simple, really: by giving some rats a daily dose of salt, he had induced high blood pressure.
    Dmitry Maslov/iStock/Getty Images

His results were called into question when it was discovered the rats had also been participating in online political debates.
    By 1976, the president of Tufts University, Jean Mayer, was labeling salt "the most dangerous food additive of all." The U.S. Senate was recommending that Americans reduce the salt in their diets by as much as 85 percent. The New York Times was blaming salt for "high blood pressure, heart and kidney disease, and stroke." Salt apparently wasn't satisfied with some measly high blood pressure -- it had become food evil incarnate, haunting our entire freaking anatomy.
    There was just one slight problem. You see, in order to induce high blood pressure in those aforementioned rats, Dahl had pumped them full of ... hang on, let us grab our calculator real quick ... almost 15,000 percent more sodium than the average American's consumption. Countless more recent studies have utterly failed to back up the relationship between salt intake and high blood pressure. Not only that, but it turns out that we actually need salt to, you know, live. Mothers unnecessarily restricting the salt intake of their young children have even sent them into shock or, holy ****, outright killed them.
    Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images

"Please, just a Ramen seasoning packet. It can be my birthday and Christmas gift this year."
    The truth is that science is still trying to figure out what causes high blood pressure -- maybe it is salt for some people, or just certain types of salt. But there's a reason we get a new "stop eating ________!" warning every few years or so -- food science is complicated as ****. It's hard to figure out what problems are caused by diet versus genetics, or any of the billion other environmental factors that can slowly murder you behind your back. And the biggest mistake you can make is to declare one part of your diet to be The Bad Guy and just ignore everything else.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_21926...#ixzz3PJorTwir
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Sez WHO???? Seriously, this is just downright false. Period. Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Salt is fine for you as long as you are in general good health. A couple of scientists theorized that it was bad, yet I can't find a single reputable study that actually backs this up.
    Both correct. Too much of anything can be bad and this is true for both salt and alcohol. Both will kill you if you consume too much. But in moderate amounts, they are fine. There has been lots of studies that show moderate amounts of alcohol are very good for you. And the bit about red wine is probably a myth. When they look at all the studies, it seems that the key ingredient is in fact the alcohol. Agree too about the salt myth. Not really something to worry about.

Journal Entries
    Images

Somebody has to say it - "I'll drink to that." 17 January 1920 was the start of Prohibition - I don't remember it for that but to remember that a bad law can be changed - 5 December 1933 it ended.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

How about Milk? Is milk good or bad for you?

WARNING: LOTS OF BAD LANGUAGE

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's not the noodles which are bad for you, it's the seasoning packet. Get rid of that and flavor it with something better - like hot chocolate.
    i knew a guy that said all the flavors taste the same. reason was he thought it was a stay-fresh packet and just threw the packet out
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Both correct. Too much of anything can be bad and this is true for both salt and alcohol. Both will kill you if you consume too much. But in moderate amounts, they are fine. There has been lots of studies that show moderate amounts of alcohol are very good for you. And the bit about red wine is probably a myth. When they look at all the studies, it seems that the key ingredient is in fact the alcohol. Agree too about the salt myth. Not really something to worry about.
    Yep, also genetic predisposition plays a large role. People's personal opinions are sometimes formed without taking this into account, thinking if it has a negative impact on them, it's that way across the board. Not so, but the old adage "everything within moderation" still holds true.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

When I was diagnosed with chronic acid reflux, my doctor gave me a list of things I needed to stop consuming, the list was:

Alcohol
    Caffeine
    Tobacco (fortunately not applicable to me)
    Fried food
    Spicy food
    Chocolate

I looked at the list and told him that he could have saved some time by just handing me a paper that said "Everything you enjoy"

Images

When I was diagnosed with chronic acid reflux, my doctor gave me a list of things I needed to stop consuming, the list was:

Alcohol
    Caffeine
    Fried food
    Spicy food
    Chocolate

I looked at the list and told him that he could have saved some time by just handing me a paper that said "Everything you enjoy"
    Elf, that a hot list for not only reflux, but also sleep apnea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    According to a local study, Ramen isn't good for you. (Too much Sodium.) We all know that Alcohol isn't good for you either. So what is a hiker to do? Drink warm water and eat Rice Cakes all day?
    Actually rice cakes are now bad for you, they'll spike your sugar. Crazy world we live in ain't it.

Alcohol
    Caffeine
    Fried food
    Spicy food
    Chocolate

I had 4 outta 6 tonight...gonna be a bad night, have to sleep sittin' up again

...sucks when I fall outta my chair.

Images

Are you on that Bud card Socks?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Elf, that a hot list for not only reflux, but also sleep apnea.
    Good to know. It took me a while to realize that alcohol made it easy to fall asleep, it wrecked the quality of the sleep I got.

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Are you on that Bud card Socks?
    I'm not sure what it is...but I'm fairly certain i'm not...anymore.

Journal Entries

Moderate amounts of Alcohol are beneficial, search around.
    Sorry, no.
    Alcohol is major risk factor for many kinds of cancer. The World Health Organization has stated that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.
    While it has anecdotal evidence in lowering risk of heart disease in some groups, this is not proven by any study , and is largely quackery. I can attest to many drinkers i know that had heart attacks, some dead. In fact, i would say most everyone i know that had heart disease was a drinker.

The drawbacks far outweigh any minor benefit.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-20-2015 at 01:52.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm not sure what it is...but I'm fairly certain i'm not...anymore.
    Yep, federal decriminalization of medical green bud in all states...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I had 4 outta 6 tonight...gonna be a bad night, have to sleep sittin' up again

...sucks when I fall outta my chair.
    Socks you can always strap yourself in with a piece of rope, if truly dedicated, one can install a five point harness and roll cage on the living room recliner,,,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++