WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 15

Does anybody have any experience with the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 15 bag? The specs look very good considering the weight, pack size, and temperature rating. However, I have seen a few reviews saying the bag is cold. Anybody know? Thanks!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was in an Ultralamina 15 Saturday Night. Based on the weather forecast, the temperatures should have been right at freezing. I was dressed in a thin shirt, shorts, wool socks and a wool cap. By body was plenty warm enough, but I had to add some light-weight fleece pants for my legs to feel warm. My feet stayed a bit cool all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I was in an Ultralamina 15 Saturday Night. Based on the weather forecast, the temperatures should have been right at freezing. I was dressed in a thin shirt, shorts, wool socks and a wool cap. By body was plenty warm enough, but I had to add some light-weight fleece pants for my legs to feel warm. My feet stayed a bit cool all night long.
    Which model do you have? The one with zippers on each side? Or the newest from their website back to the single 3/4 zipper. Thanks.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have the older model with zippers on each side.

I have the older model with zippers on each side.
    Well hopefully the newer version is a bit warmer

I have a model that's around 5 years old and the zipper snag drove me crazy. Worse than any other bag I've ever owned.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've used the bag before in temperatures that where pretty much right at freezing before and didn't experience the need to wear anything beyond my shirt, shorts, and wool hat (maybe I was wearing double hats that time). FWIW, I don't using it in "mummy" fashion with the opening pulled tight around my face. I'm mostly a side sleeping in the back country.

I've loved the bag... but I must say that I find I have to be careful with the zippers to prevent snags. So I can't refute the snag claims about problems with snags, but it doesn't "drive me crazy".

For anyone looking for a synthetic bag, I would still highly recommend it.

I also own the 32 degree version. It's done quite well for me. At only 2lbs, it's been my main go-to bag unless I know temperatures are going down to freezing. Again, wearing only shorts and tshirt with wool hat, I've slept in what I feel like for sure was a night time low of 40 degrees in the 32 degree model. I was ever so slightly chilly, but not enough to push me to get out of the bag to put on more cloths.

I've used the bag before in temperatures that where pretty much right at freezing before and didn't experience the need to wear anything beyond my shirt, shorts, and wool hat (maybe I was wearing double hats that time). FWIW, I don't using it in "mummy" fashion with the opening pulled tight around my face. I'm mostly a side sleeping in the back country.

I've loved the bag... but I must say that I find I have to be careful with the zippers to prevent snags. So I can't refute the snag claims about problems with snags, but it doesn't "drive me crazy".

For anyone looking for a synthetic bag, I would still highly recommend it.

I also own the 32 degree version. It's done quite well for me. At only 2lbs, it's been my main go-to bag unless I know temperatures are going down to freezing. Again, wearing only shorts and tshirt with wool hat, I've slept in what I feel like for sure was a night time low of 40 degrees in the 32 degree model. I was ever so slightly chilly, but not enough to push me to get out of the bag to put on more cloths.
    Thanks for the info. I just purchased the new 15 straight from MHW. Look forward to using it! Looks light a very light and packable bag. Seems like ALL sleeping bags have a zipper snag issue.

++ New Posts ++