WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by yonderway View Post
    I would have posted in Straight forward, but thought Dog would avoid that heat... I can return fire with the best of them.

Why would I want to stay in a shelter anyway? Thats where the entitled, drunk, party, tourists are at. Isn't that the party line here?

Yeah, I lurked for a long enough to know the waters here before I joined, and kept lurking before I posted.

Whiteblaze has a well deserved reputation. But I have found value here, so thanks all.
    You posted in the correct forum, unfortunately some folks don't check the forum the thread is in before they post. Thank you for your honesty and consideration in looking for a solution around GSMNP. You may have an easier time when you get to Baxter as your need for a dog sitter would be shorter. You may even have some hiker friends by then that could watch the dog while you summit.

Please read the sticky Peepsinc, it is quoted above. If you are of the opinion that you have a limited view of when dogs should be on the trail, you do have the option to ignore the Dogs forum completely. Any of WB's subforums can be put on ignore by the user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peepsinc View Post
    To be honest, from experience. Unless your dog is use to traveling 15 miles a day. carrying a pack with his own food supplies, & sleeping in the cold, consider leaving it home. It will be a lot happier there.... Not to mention all of the distractions for a dog like Wild Hogs,Bear, Other dogs, & lots of hikers that may or may not be particular to sharing quarters with a wet dog.(It will rain on you & your gear) Even if you tent camp, @ some point you & your gear will be soaked & you'll want to sleep in a shelter.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Well, the OP did say he was only *thinking* about bringing his dog and that he probably wouldn't so I would think besides explaining the difficulties of getting around the Smokies, pointing out the additional problems and burdens a dog imposes on a thru hike (which are significant) aren't completely out of line.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would have posted in Straight forward, but thought Dog would avoid that heat... I can return fire with the best of them.

Why would I want to stay in a shelter anyway? Thats where the entitled, drunk, party, tourists are at. Isn't that the party line here?

Yeah, I lurked for a long enough to know the waters here before I joined, and kept lurking before I posted.

Whiteblaze has a well deserved reputation. But I have found value here, so thanks all.
    I LOVE HEAT, personally I don't care if you hike with a dog or not its your hike, hike it the way you want to. HYOH.

Journal Entries

Ah! Bring the bitch!

Sorry if my comment was misread to sound insulting in some way. Hope Ya'll have a great hike. ...Peace!

Are there options to avoid the Smokies? Trails that go around, or would it be yellow blazing? I realize she can't be with me at the end, but thats a long way off still. The closer my start date gets, the more I want to take my very well trained and well behaved yellow labrador. I wasn't planning on it originally, and probably won't, but the thought is there.
    You can get your dog certified as a wilderness therapy dog for 75 bucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++