WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well done Alligator

Hiker Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    That the means (and the medians) are close does not mean that the thruhiker and non-completion distributions are the same. One could be flatter than the other or possibly skewed. Smoothing by week was helpful though. Plotting the two groups side by side in the same chart would potentially illustrate any differences if they exist.
    Very true. I’ll do this in another post (don’t want to poop up this one too much)
    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    You wouldn't care to add more years to the database would you?
    No way Jose! I’m an engineer and thought doing this would give me a night tidy answer of the completion percentage for TJ users, among other things. Definitely not the case. It also took forever and a day as I started the database before the thru-hiker season was over and kept finding things I missed or should have included and had to go through the entire list again and again(>400 journals).
    I’ve got to go over the data some more to illustrate exactly how I came up with my numbers before I make a post about it. Example: A hiker journals for 1865 miles and then stops cold. However, they’re on the ATC registry. Do you count them? (I did).

Default Nobos registered as of 2-28

Here is the latest chart of north bounders who have registered. This version starts with today, since at the moment I'm posting it for thru-hikers who haven't registered yet. And here's a pdf of that chart:

http://appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2015-northbound-thru-hikers-registered-as-of-2-28.pdf?sfvrsn=0.

The latest we have for other categories is 2-20; both jogs and pdfs are now posted on the thru-hiker voluntary registration page at www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://www.facebook.com/FreshGroundLeapfrogCafe - Might want to check this page to see the numbers he posts, as another source to compare usage at certain points.

Default Updated charts

We have updated the voluntary thru-hiker registration charts at www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration. The charts are now bigger and a little cleaner.

Here are the number of those who have registered so far:

Northbound 1023
    Southbound 34
    Flip Flop from HF northbound 42
    Other Flip Flop 42

On-the-ground reports indicate about half of people showing up have registered and that most of those who did not register hadn't heard about the registration.

Is that what others are observing?

Laurie P.
    ATC

Thanks Laurie! The number of NOBO's sure makes the SOBO's and flip floppers look pretty insignificant.

The numbers of flip-floppers is tiny compared to the nobos, but the growth in flip-floppers this year is phenomenal. As I've said before, it's hard to get a grasp on the number of flip-flop starters, even those who start in Harpers Ferry, but even without knowing the numbers I can say this could be the biggest single increase in any category of thru-hikers from one year to the next, ever.

Flip-floppers, please get your photos taken at ATC and fill out your photos as completely as possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++