WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT access, southwestern Montana, Morrison Lake--access road?

In the process of planning a vehicle borne driving/hiking/fishing vacation in the Rock Creek, Big Hole, and Red Rock River areas of west-central and southwestern Montana, I've come across some descriptions of Morrison Lake, up near the headwaters of Indian Creek, a tributary of Big Sheep Creek, a tributary of the Red Rock River west of Dell and Lima, MT. I see the CDT passes Morrison Lake and have read some hikers' descriptions of their hike through there.

We'll be up that way in late July and we'd enjoy the opportunity to overnight at the lake and perhaps spread some Trail Magic to any CDT hikers present. We would hope our presence would be welcomed, and we'd have fresh fruit, plenty of food, water, and some cold beers aboard. Could probably even work out a shower, as the camper has a water heater and a 12v pump feeding a pop-up outdoor shower. This sort of thing seems well-received back East along the AT, but I certainly understand the CDT is a totally different animal which attracts totally different hikers. By the way, we're 59 and 60 year-old grandparents from North Carolina and are certifiably low-impact folks.

On the morning after our 1-night stay, we'll be driving to Dell, Lima, and finally to Monida where we'll pick up the South Valley Road to Red Rock Pass. That being the case, we should be in position to give a lift to hikers headed that way for resupply.

It seems clear that the motel operators at Lima do shuttles to various CDT trailheads, so if there is contact info the those folks, or any other area shuttlers, they may know a lot about the Morrison Lake Road, which is really the basis for this post.

The question is the nature of the access road off of Medicine Lodge Road/Cabin Creek Road/Big Sheep Creek Road. I'm comfortable with my truck and off-road camper trailer on the main portion of the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway, but the nature of the in-and-out access road to Morrison Lake is an unknown. An image of an old USGS topo shows FS Road 3920 gaining about 500' from Medicine Lodge Road, mostly up the canyon of Indian Creek, but with perhaps 3 switchbacks which could be problematic. The Google Imagery satellite imagery, however, looks good--the switchbacks don't look too tight.

Have any regulars here been there and can you comment on a fullsize truck and single axle high clearance off-road camper trailer possibly accessing the CDT at Morrison Lake? In essence, if a rancher in a fullsize pickup towing a livestock trailer can get up there, we should be able to do so, as well.

Thanks for any inputs as to the Morrison Lake Road and as to what sort of welcome we may or may not have for a night up at Morrison Lake. Thanks also for any contact info for the folks at the motel in Lima and/or other shuttle services working the CDT out that way.

AO

When we went there was a big mudhole about 1-1/2 miles before the lake where the road crosses then follows Indian Creek. We made it in ok, but it was messy. We had a full sized 4X4 pickup. The switchbacks were not a problem but the mud was.

I stopped at Morrison Lake on a CDT 2010 SOBO thru to get water. It was still too early in the wind swept afternoon to stop to camp though. I remember noticing a 4x4 PU pulling away from the lake on a rather primitive access road. It was muddy close to the lake and some on the access road as it had been raining for several days. Medicine Lodge Rd should be no problem unless the one creek crossing, I think it's called Deadman Creek, is running deep. I was told that by locals. I wouldn't go out there with a huge heavy camper if it's been raining. I did something funky taking maybe an alternate on Leys maps. I remember Bannack and Lemhi Passes and walking some miles of dirt roads in the area around the lake while also following higher ridgelines at times. If I had my CDT maps in front of me maybe I could be of more help.

Unless, the numbers of CDTers has changed substantially since 2010 I can't see Morrison Lake being a hotbed of CDT activity. The CDT is not the AT with it's large number of hikers. Heck, if you offered me a shower in your camper back in 2010 I'd sure as heck take it before heading into a nearby town.

Default Thank you!

@bearcreek--I see the mudhole/crossing you speak of. Looks to be right where Indian Creek emerges from its canyon. Absent a culvert or other roadbuilding improvements, that's a crux move.

@Dogwood--There are some Interwebs pics of the Deadman Creek ford. That's clearly a no-go if it's up.

There's also a rougher segment of Medicine Lodge Road itself just south of the Morrison Lake Rd junction. I've been in touch with some locals and have some inquiries out to others, including BLM and NF officials about that pitch.

Thanks again for your help.

AO

++ New Posts ++