WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Silkies,
    I retired from the Marine Corps in 2008. I am heading north from Springer in early to mid-March depending on how the weather is here in Northern Michigan - can't leave my wife until the winter starts to break up. Hope to see you on the trail.
    Semper fi,
    Forester Gump

Journal Entries

US Army Special Forces, retired. Starting AT Thru 1st week in April. See you on the trail.

Retired US Coast Guard with start date 20 March 2016, NOBO from Springer Mountain with trail name, Hobbler. Good luck to everyone and can't wait to meet all of you.

Semper FI! YATYAS. Going in 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by Nukids2 View Post
    Retired US Coast Guard with start date 20 March 2016, NOBO from Springer Mountain with trail name, Hobbler. Good luck to everyone and can't wait to meet all of you.
    I'm retired CG as well (2014) starting May 15 NoBo.

Army vet. starting my hike in first week of March. No service dog though

Navy vet starting on March 8th. Was going to do my thru hike in 96' when I got out, but things didn't work out. Here I am 20 years later and ready to go. Better late than never! Hope to see you folks out there!

Journal Entries

Hi Silkies -

Congrats on your retirement! I've only done a few years in uniform myself (8 is plenty), but I'm out on 1 May and rearing to start my hike. I'm hiking to work the Army toxins out of my system and reconnect with America - haven't spent more than 10 days there since September 2012.

Perhaps I'll see you on the trail... starting in Harper's Ferry and going north, then flip flopping to make it down to Springer - gotta drop off some Snickers bars in the woods for my boys in Dahlonega.

Jay

Journal Entries

You're in Riga? I know a few people up there... what brings you that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Silkies View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new here on White Blaze and I want to say thank you to the people who put the work in to make this site. So here is the deal, I will be retiring from the Marine Corps at the end of this year and I am planing to thru-hike with my service dog to bring awareness to disabled vets and raise money so another vet may get a service dog of there own. So are there any Vets out there planing on hiking the trail next year. If so hit me up, I would like to get to know some people before I start the trail. SEMPER FI.

Silkies
    I will be starting Nobo March 25th, I'm a disabled combat vet ( SeaBee) its been a few years since the injury so I'm going to walk till I fall or finish. Hope to see you out on the trail and If I see ya Ill donate some funds and share some stories.
    Semper Fortis

Default Thru- Hike 2016 Military Vets

Quote Originally Posted by Notsurejoe View Post
    I will be starting Nobo March 25th, I'm a disabled combat vet ( SeaBee) its been a few years since the injury so I'm going to walk till I fall or finish. Hope to see you out on the trail and If I see ya Ill donate some funds and share some stories.
    Semper Fortis
    March 1st for me, disabled combat vet as well. Probably won't see you out there but I wish you the very best!

Just remember it's about the journey, so take it at a pace you can maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Just remember it's about the journey, so take it at a pace you can maintain.
    Oh for sure! I'm in no rush, I plan on taking 6months

US Army medically retired combat vet. March 10th from Springer. Can't wait to hit the trail and get some clarity in my life. Hope to see some of my brothers out there!

I am still anticipating leaving the weekend of March 18th. Hopefully on the 18th to get a day ahead of the weekend crowd, we will see how the weather goes.

Update, I am heading north from Springer on March 10th. Forester Gump

Quote Originally Posted by ajcajonel View Post
    You're in Riga? I know a few people up there... what brings you that way?
    I moved to Riga because I was divorced and retired and tired of living in the US and wanted some thing new.

Silkies...I'm retired Air Force as of 2 years ago. Been preparing for and planning a flip-flop hike starting late July 2016 at Harpers Ferry going south. I'll be looking for you out there on the trail as well as any other vets.

Best to you on your journey!

Denny
    "Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better." --Albert Einstein

Silkies hasn't been on since June of 2015.

Retired homeless Navy vet. See you up the trail! Trail name: Tippytoes...Heading out March 16ish, NOBO.

Retired Air Force. Starting NOBO from Springer on 3 March. See you on the trail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++