WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gear Video-Advice Needed!

I am attempting a thru-hike on the AT (NOBO) starting the last week of February in 2015. Please, critique my gear! I am open to all ideas/opinions/options. I don't have exact weights on most things or a spreadsheet, but the total winter base pack weight is 19.8 lbs. I plan on sending things home and buying lighter gear as I see fit along the way. I would love to get it down to 12ish lbs. by May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctv...ature=youtu.be

I'd try and abuse that bear line a little before taking it out. I had that brand once and it seemed to go out of its way to knot itself up. Maybe soak it? I dunno. Mine did soften up, but I'm not sure how it happened.

If you're worried about weight, cut the guide in half and have the second half sent to you in Harpers.

That vest is insane. I'm sure I'd have more, but I can't seem to get past that vest. Every time I think I have something to add, I realize its just the vest I'm thinking about. Neat stuff.

If you've hiked the CT you'll be kosher on the AT. You know your stuff.

If you use the Smart water bottle and sport cap, you can back flush with that and don't need the syringe. Also, I love the vest

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Since you know they give you blisters, then, don't take the "Cascadias".

Just because you read about them, here, or see them on the trail doesn't mean they are good for you.

Obviously, they are not. Find something else.

Once I found out my "low volune" "narrow heel" and faurly straight from the metatarsal arch to the big toe somewhat wider "toe box" lace up after pulling the heel to the back of the hiking shoe then walk around awhile and then try an incline, or, with permission go outside and try a curb to see if your weight doesn't push your toes against the front of the hiking shoe, then, I never had a blister again. That said, I wear quite clean socks that will hold up longer than a day or two before washing. I have had Thorlo Lt. Hiker low quarter socks last four or five days before needing washing. Others like merino, Darn Tough, Wrights, or other socks.

Maybe see Poduatry College, San Francisco Dr. Valmassey about Morton's neuroma. But see him about foot supports, for sure. If "no way" you can get there (famous) then Good Feet insoles. Surprisingly, the Good Feet MAX are the most comfortable once your feet get acquainted.

That's all I have.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-09-2015 at 01:48.

Ditch the hand sanitizer and toothpaste (use Dr Bronners for both) and replace the sawyer squeeze with a bleach dropper bottle. Just recommendations of things that might simplify or lighten your load a bit based on the video thumbnail and previous comments. Of course, weight savings is not the end all be all of hiking so enjoy the experience!

Maybe you could write out a list? You don't have to weigh everything, but it will be easier to read a list and pick things out rather than have to remember everything from the video. (also my Internet connection is messing up so I can't watch the video!!) Seems like you are pretty experienced and I think 12 lbs is definitely doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    Ditch the hand sanitizer and toothpaste (use Dr Bronners for both) and replace the sawyer squeeze with a bleach dropper bottle.

Just a second friendly opinion here, I'd disagree with this. Bring hand sanitizer. I used it every day, a few times a day, from the tiny travel sizes. And a small tube of toothpaste doesn't kill anyone. I think they're both well worth the marginal weight. As far as the Squeeze, despite living in the woods for 3 months I can't imagine always having river/stream/stick/dirt/debris floating around in my water. The bleach will clean the bacterial elements of the water, but the Sawyer will make the water clean as a whole. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

As KC said though- weight isn't the end of the world on the trail. I carried a 2 lb dSLR camera because I knew it'd make me happy. Do what suits you best.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Thank you all for taking the time to watch the video and give me advice!
    Frye-I will cut the guide in half! I really don't like that cord either, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it either. I am hoping that most nights I will only be using it for a clothesline. I'll send the vest home when I reach the end of the Smokies if I don't use it!
    Damn Yankee-You rock! I've never used a Sawyer, actually, so I hope someone can show me this trick along the way. Goodbye, syringe thingy! My favorite feature of that vest is that it hides dirt and is invincible!
    Connie-Big help! Thank you for being my Gemini Cricket with the Cascadias. I'll go trade them in at REI for some more Salomons. I'm in Denver, so I can't make it to SF easily. Perhaps, I should go weigh in with a Podiatrist before my hike. I'll look into the Good Feet insoles. Thank you!
    KC Fiedler-I'll try the bleach at some point before Virginia when I'm looking to shed pounds off the pack. I've only had to use it one time in my life, and it's not my fav. I might actually save the hand sanitizer and get rid of the Bronner's. I can use hotel soap bars to wash clothes, and I usually don't use soap for cooking utensils. I use that hand sani, though. No Norovirus for me! I might also get rid of a couple of other things in the med kit. Thanks!
    Quasaar-I'm really trying to avoid a list/spreadsheet. I've had to do so many of those for work in my life, and this is supposed to be FUN! Thanks, anyway, though.

The reason I encourage people to use DR B's is because you can wash your hands, hair, and clothing effectively with it. You can clean wounds with it. You can brush your teeth with it. One ounce of DR B's replaced a tube of toothpaste, bottle of sanitizer, alcohol wipes from the med kit as well as various often carried personal hygiene items. It is, of course, up to your personal preference! Enjoy.

I think my sound was messed up but I watched the video. If your carabiner is for bear bagging, it's mega overkill. No need for a locking climbing rated carabiner just for bear bagging. I'd recommend the smallest nite ize "s" carabiner you can find and learn the PCT bear hang method. Again it is, of course, your choice and simply my suggestion. I'd also recommend 40' of Dynaglide line for your bear rope, but that's a bit nit picky. Dynaglide is crazy light and crazy strong, I fell in love with the stuff when I started experimenting with it.

If you're not comfortable with a few floaters in your water, try straining particularly gross water through a bandana or a micro-towel if you carry one. Bleach is much lighter and more compact than even the sawyer mini, eliminating the need for the squeeze bag, filter body, and large back flush syringe (and eliminating their weight). Of course you may not be comfortable without filtering your water through a mechanical device so don't let me stop you!

Lastly it doesn't seem you're very likely to ever find a situation on the trail, within reasonably expectable weather boundaries, where you will need a base layer, two puffy jackets, and a rain shell. If you wear all that while hiking you will be sweating so hard, you'll soak through. In camp you've got that giant warm looking mummy bag, all those layers plus the bag would most likely keep you warm even in Canada in January (warning, speculative statement). If I were you, I'd leave the white hooded puffy vest at home. But, of course, it's about what you're comfortable with and you can always send stuff back.

Good luck, have fun, and take whatever you like!

Isn't it ZPacks that has a tangle-free cord he sells? Does someone know?

Is DynaGlide tangle-free?

Sprout78, you are welcome. I think a referral might get you into a program. I had a referral. I paid a $90-$110 fee for an orthopedic experimental program referred by the orthopedist Dr. Roberts. That was years past. It was reference rehab for a disability for walking. I'd had to relearn to walk. We dealt with improvement.

The podiatrist could find out, if they have a program for that.

Public Health uses the Part A and Part B "bleach". It is better than bleach. Bleach has nasty additives. For that reason, household bleach is not recommended. But the Part A and Part B stuff must not leak on your backpacking gear.

Didn't someone in this forum recently point out the brand bottled water "spout" may be used to shove on the tubing to backflush the Sawyer?

Edit: flip-cap from a Smart Water bottle.

Edit: Z-Line Spectra Cord is tangle resistant.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-09-2015 at 12:31.

ZPacks sells spectra/Dacron cord which they advertise as "tangle resistant". Just cherry-bomb your guy lines and cords and you'll never have a tangle again, regardless of cord type.

KC-Yeah, my bear bag set up definitely leaves something to be desired. There's this ZPacks (blue) one that everyone is raving about that is light. Maybe I should try that? Approximately, how many nights am I looking at for bear-bagging? Is it worth the money to buy a whole new set up?
    I can let go of the biner
    I'll decide on the changes with water filtration when I get there and take a look at the sources, etc. Good advice on another option, though!!
    Thank you!!

When I'm looking at changing gear I will do a price per ounce saved calculation. Anything under $30 an ounce or so, is usually a no brainier for me. When stuff starts getting over $50 per saved ounce... Makes the decision a little harder. Really depends on the size of your paychecks hahaha!

Wow, this is getting complicated.

I'm in the same boat as you Sprout, I don't do spreadsheets. I leave that to the paper pushers. Although Kc makes some decent suggestions (Some not so much? No disrespect meant =D) I don't do all of that and still manage to stay under 10.

Really I just take issue with the Clorox suggestion. If you want to brush your teeth with the same stuff you're scrubbing your butt with that's fine with me. Bleach though is not meant for purifying your water on a daily basis, it's meant for emergency situations only. It's also not the same chemical as Aquamira (some believe it is.) It's effectiveness is not up to par imo. You'll hear people say they've always used it and they've never been sick, but you'll also hear people say they've done the majority of the AT without using anything and never got sick. Some people don't get a bullet in the head either playing Russian Roulette. I'm not going to play Russian Roulette.

I will admit though, that at some extra purty springs I don't treat.

As for Purel. I'd bring it. You have a much greater chance of becoming ill due to poor hygiene then you do drinking the water.

(Not shaking the hand of anyone sporting patchouli oil will go a long way in preventing illness)

I also wouldn't ditch the vest, it's mind blowing. If I could I'd have my down jacket looking like a Hawaiian shirt and wear it even in 90 degree heat hiking while sipping frozen drinks (KC is probably right though, it might be to much. I'd have a hard time leaving it behind though)

@Connie, the zpacks cord is pretty nice. There's a few other shops that sell good cord also. I'm pretty sure Dutchware sells everything.

My main concern with my gear is warmth and weight. I can trade things like water filtration out later if I want to start to fly.
    If I start sometime the first week of February, here are my main questions:

1. Will I need a 0 or 15 degree bag?

2. If I do decide to go with a 15, should I bring down booties? Will the socks be okay?

3. Do I need thicker gloves?

4. Should I bring a synthetic jacket instead of down layers?

5. Should I add something like a fleece Balaclava?

6. Can I survive without gaiters?

7. Do I need a tent if I'm going that early, or should I just get a warmer bag and hang in the shelters?

I really do appreciate the comments about some of the smaller/hygiene items.
    I feel like my main concern is hypothermia/comfort at night and would love someone who has been in Georgia and GSNP to weigh in on what they needed between February 22nd and April 1st.

I have spent two seasons camping in temps under 20 and snowstorms for two weeks at a time, days with gusts up to 35 miles an hour, but not in the SE part of the country. It was relatively dry where I was. Many evenings of drying wet boots and socks by a fire, boiling water to keep hands from freezing while breaking down camp in the morning, and sit ups in my sleeping bag (which was a Never Summer 0 back then). I did wear down booties, also. I'm not saying it was fun all the time, but I prefer it over the heat/humidity combo.

Anybody have anything on these questions? I've been reading the Feb. start threads, and many people are recommending more clothes than I'm bringing and a warmer bag! Thoughts?

Opps, forgot you're an early start.
    1 & 2. I'd go with a 15 bag and supplement with a down jacket and decent lower base. Down booties couldn't hurt, but I doubt you'll need them. They are ultra comfortable. I think socks will do.

3.What gloves were you using? I didn't notice them in the video and don't want to eat my bandwidth up by watching it again

4.Down all the way.

5. I'd go with wool. They're great though, I use mine in all seasons but summer.

6.Yes. You won't be getting that much crud in your shoes and no matter what you wear your feet will get wet. Gaiters = overrated.

7. Wish I could help you. I don't trust hammock users.

In the end, the amount of clothing you will need is totally based on you. I can't tell you if you'd need to bring more than I would. You've done the CT, you should have an idea.

Also posted some info on your video page...

- The NeoAir shown looks like the original one. Unsure if the R-Value would support a Feb start. Consider Xlite or XTherm. Much warmer.
    - Feb start = possible frigid temps. 15-deg bag might or might not work early on. May cost you extra money if you have to seek refuge in a town for warmth over a later start.
    - Hanging socks never dried for me. Consider an extra pair or always hike in one pair & sleep in the other.
    - Consider lighter weight stuff sacks (Sylnylon version Sea to Summit)
    - Carabiner is overly stout. Small mini caribiner or S-biner would work to hang your food.
    - Mini Squeeze vs regular Squeeze: better flow w/ the regular with only a 1-oz penalty
    - Divy up your AT Guide into 4ths; mail drop each new section (save wt)
    - That's a big wallet. ID, CC's, Debit Card, Med Ins Card, a rubber band, and a zip-lock baggie will suffice. Consider a neck wallet so it is always on your person.
    - BlisterShield foot powder really works well. Only had 1 blister on AT (but, I rarely get blisters).
    - Keep your journal on your Kindle. Nice WP case.

Good luck on your hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

If you are postholing snow, knee-high gaiters can keep your pants from wetting out, chilling you excessively.

If not, low stretch gaiters keep dirt and debris off your ankles, if you wear hiking shoes. If boots, short gaiters perform the same function. However, stretch gaiters perform better in warmer weather.

That is my experience of gaiters.

Open shelters are very cold; warmer only by many warm bodies present, that, or a fireplace. Open shelters do protect from wind, if the wind is at your back. Open shelters protect from rain, if the rain is not blowing in. Then, there is the necessity of protecting your food and your gear from mice, spiders, whatever. I would think a ground cloth is minimum, a bivy better. Tents or tarp shelter gives you a choice.

I hike in an artificial insulation vest, if I need a vest for hiking. It handles a little perspiration better, a vest of course is better for ventilation. I have natural fiber and natural source insulation, except only my "silkweights" because artificial insulation clothing does not feel "warm" except only in the mildest weather.

Other people have described their artificial insulation and natural insulation layering system, in detail, for winter conditions (cold and snow) elsewhere in the forum recently.
    Last edited by Connie; 01-10-2015 at 11:19.

Loved ur video. As a future thru hiker, I have watched and will continue to disect video's and gear list to hone my own gear. However, i don't just sit and wait on my date to hike... I continuely take weekly short "hikes" (walks of 5 miles) and backpack trips throughout the year. I have learned one important cold weather combination: a fleece vest and a beanie head covering (instead of of a hood on a jacket). Ur vest is comparable to my fleece. However, I would suggest a fleece beanie or Black Rock down hat (both have been suggested by some for starts prior to April) to be added to ur system for both hiking and surprisingly enought, sleeping. I am still amazed how I can control chill and or cause sweating by what I place or remove from my head more than adding or taking off heavier layers or outwear. Hammock users really have learned this due to getting rid of the mummy sleeping bag and going to top quilts. I don't like the confinement of a mummy bag and now sleep in a hat or have one close by. That hat now fills day and nighttime purposes for light ounces. I know you are not taking an "offiial hat" but you may want to rethink that with ur start date. You specifically asked about a balaclava and I would say, no, if you make sure u take ur merino wool buff. You will probably have one or more day's u need face protection from "stinging cold". Thanks for sharing, you have a very sound system of gear! Enjoy the hike.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I am a beanie hat person for the same reasons. I only considered a balaclava to keep my sleeping gear clean, because I have long hair. It is almost always too warm to hike in and not as easily adjusted for warmth or cooling off as a beanie, at lease that is my experience. I have seen a balaclava "sides" rolled up. I wear mock turtleneck tops with either 1/4 or 1/2 zip for ventilation, but my neck is always protected from a chill. The only time I want a hood is for cold and blowing snow, and, when snow is falling off tree branches a hood becomes essential, as far as I am concerned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++