WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

If they don't, I have enough for all of us.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Or a paperback. They still make them?
    Sly, the method to the madness is to have a paperback "of the thickness" to properly supplement your individual pillow (sleep) system. If using such material for fire starter, one must upgrade every town or so to sustain proper mental and sleeping (physical)alignment.

Would never consider leaving my Kindle behind on a lengthy hike. The idea that only camp junkies are bringing things like a Kindle is a myth as well. Not sure why it is perpetuated, but most of the people saying it only have their first hand experience. I have mine as well, and it is disagrees. It doesn't take me a long time to set up camp, and I usually eat dinner before getting to camp. Averaging around 18 miles per day on the BMT I was still able to get in an hour of reading just about every night. It's all about priorities and what makes you happy in life as well as hiking.

Registered User Teresa&Lisa2016's Avatar

Dude, no need to be rude about it. I don't think bringing a Kindle on the trail makes me any less of a hiker than you. Maybe just a more well read one.

Registered User Teresa&Lisa2016's Avatar

Agreed! Thank you!

Journal Entries

Just received my Kindle Paperwhite. It is COOL! Not sure why I waited so long to get this. No more carrying multiple books on trips. I think I'm just going to keep the box it came in, drop it in a Ziploc, and go.

Just got mine (Paperwhite) too! Wished I hadn't waited so long. I've been reading 1 hour per night for three weeks and it stills shows over 1/2 charge.

I'm looking for recommendations of Kindle books to load into it relating to backpacking. ie Survival,(not zombie), Land Nav, plant identification, traps, ropemaking, etc. if anyone has recommendations. Something to read out on the trail besides the fiction I seem to devour.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    It seems to me it would not be easy to protect the display screen, as well as other damage. ...
    I bought a screen protector for my Kindle PaperWhite. There are many available for a few $$$ on EBay. The one I bought, (the first one listed in the link), went on easily and is very rugged. The only thing about the screen protecter is that it has a smooth, shiny surface, unlike the anti-glare finish of the Kindle screen. This allows for some glare but not enough to matter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...eader&_sacat=0
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 07-20-2015 at 17:18.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post

I'm looking for recommendations of Kindle books to load into it relating to backpacking. ie Survival,(not zombie), Land Nav, plant identification, traps, ropemaking, etc. if anyone has recommendations. Something to read out on the trail besides the fiction I seem to devour.
    I find tons of them by going to Amazon's Kindle books page, search for your topic (hiking, camping, whatever), then sort by price low to high. The free ones will be listed first. They're usually only free for a limited time, and beware, some of them are overpriced at free. Keep doing it once or twice a week, and like me, you'll have more books than you can read! (I just went over 800!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    It seems to me it would not be easy to protect the display screen, as well as other damage.
    I encased mine in this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00 Very happy with it, since my Kindle is now armored against almost anything. Not sure of the actual weight, but shipping weight is only 6.4 oz.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have my iphone and blackberry in otter cases. I've cut a thin cardboard to fit the screen, slide them into small bubble wrap bags and a zip lock. They would ride in the inside zippered pocket of the lid of my pack. Very much belt and suspenders but I've neverr had a problem.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Paperbacks would burn better than a kindle (or your clothes, to resurrect that thread) if you need to start a fire.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I like the PaperWhite. It causes less eye strain than a smartphone, the battery literally will last a month, and you can adjust the backlight from nil to very bright.

It is a bit of extra weight, but I find reading is a good way to pass the time or distract yourself when sitting in your tent, and a good sleep aid at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post

You can also keep an eye on the Books forum (under Gear Reviews). Perrymk posts a lot of hiking/outdoors related free books there.

-FA

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Paperbacks would burn better than a kindle (or your clothes, to resurrect that thread) if you need to start a fire.
    I don't know about that. Smartphones burn pretty well.

I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Boy, do I stand corrected. Paperbacks will still burn better than clothes, though I'm sure.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I don't know about that. Smartphones burn pretty well.

Is there an app for that?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I've thought about getting a Paperwhite to replace my Gen 2 Kindle. My only concern is that AWOL's guide isn't on Kindle. His memoirs are but not the guide itself. If AWOL's guide was on Kindle, it would be a no-brainer for me. I thought if I could take the guide and have some books all in one device (that weighs about as much as a book in the first place), then why not take one. Maybe by the time I get ready to go, the guide will be on Kindle.
    Rare Breed

You can put PDFs on the kindle. I have AWOLs guide on my voyage. It's not as easy to use as on my ipad but between my iphone and the kindle I will be fine without a hard copy.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ... Play with the settings, I like white letters on black background, no light required to read and you can adjust the letter light way way down for reading in the dark, further saving battery life.
    I have the Kindle Paper White. How did you get it to display white letters on a dark background?
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-28-2015 at 13:03.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++