WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Cats on the Appalachian Trail

I know of one kitty that was credit as a thru hiker, although she was born along the way and adopted by a thru, completing the hike but not starting it.

But my Q is how would a influx of people hiking with there cats influence, if at all, those hiking with their dogs.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/thr...ur-cat-hiking/

I kinda doubt there would be an influx of people hiking with cats as you'd have to carry them. However, unlike dogs, cats would no doubt be welcome in shelters to catch mice. Cats are real territorial so they don't take well to traveling, but I guess if you started with a kitten it might work.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As previously mentioned, cats would have to be carried most of the time, and most hikers aren't going to add pounds to their pack that way.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

On a section hike in the Smokeys in Oct 2011, I saw a sobo hiker with a cat perched on top of his external frame pack. Amusing. Said the cat caught several mice every night in the shelters.

I like cats. Wouldn't want to carry one, though.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Journal Entries
    Images

I have two. Never brought either hiking. Two reasons the weight and they just do not listen like a dog. Be afraid of him going off and not being able to find him.

I can remember seeing a owl carry off a cat in my neighborhood years ago. It was something you never forget.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Odd as it may seem, I did see someone with a Siamese cat on a leash working their way up the Hunt Trail on Katahdin in August of 2007 as I was working my way down. It was the most bizarre thing I have seen in regard to pets on the trail.

The Rangers at Katahdin Stream said they had seen that before, but only a few times and proceeded up the hill to make the arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    I can remember seeing a owl carry off a cat in my neighborhood years ago. It was something you never forget.
    Like this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    I have two. Never brought either hiking. Two reasons the weight and they just do not listen like a dog. Be afraid of him going off and not being able to find him.

Exactly. One of mine got out and spent the night outside and cried about it all the next day. My Maine Coon Cat would like the cool temps but not the heat. Neither are real good mousers but they don't get much practice. Last time a mouse got in the house they were both sitting there just looking at it, I had to catch it. The one is death on toilet paper rolls though.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Exactly. One of mine got out and spent the night outside and cried about it all the next day. My Maine Coon Cat would like the cool temps but not the heat. Neither are real good mousers but they don't get much practice. Last time a mouse got in the house they were both sitting there just looking at it, I had to catch it. The one is death on toilet paper rolls though.
    And I'm not carrying either one for 2200 miles.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I'm sure my Pot Bellied Pig would follow me up the trail. I just don't think the mileage would that great and he snores when he sleeps.

I wouldn't have to worry about owls though.

cat's the perfect solution to the mice problem. Now how to get them to the shelters...

I hiked Georgia to Maine in 1990 with my cat Ziggy. He was about 7 months old and still small when I started at Springer and he walked the first 35 miles of the trail. He was slow. I put him on top of my pack and he never hiked another step! LOL. I carried 1 pound of dry cat food with me and he supplimented that with TONS of mice in the shelters. Every time I got into a town he was given a can of moist cat food but he only liked seafood flavors. You did have to watch large areas of bright sun because he could over heat but it never became a problem. He was 14 pounds when I got to Abol Bridge. The rangers had heard about him coming up the trail with me and "stamped" the Smokeys permits with the word pets over the word dog so he did all of the trail except the Smokeys and Baxter. He was definitely into the outdoors as I got him in Manchester, Ohio on the Ohio River while paddling from Confluence, Pa to New Orleans. Once at New Orleans we got onto the A.T., did Georgia to Maine and then he rode on the back of my mt. bike from Maine to Confluence, Pa. The entire trip was 5091 miles long and he did about 4900 miles of the trip. He had been in 25 states by the time he was a year old. He also thought he was a dog and would come when called and sit on command. He was an incredible animal!
    geek

More like this.....owl.jpgI don't know why but I love this pic.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Journal Entries
    Images

Heard about Ziggy. Thanks for posting. He had some interesting teenage years to say the least. 17 pounds seems like he had more than a few mice!!

Haa that great horned owl looks pissed!! My favorite raptors

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I hiked Georgia to Maine in 1990 with my cat Ziggy. He was about 7 months old and still small when I started at Springer and he walked the first 35 miles of the trail. He was slow. I put him on top of my pack and he never hiked another step! LOL. I carried 1 pound of dry cat food with me and he supplimented that with TONS of mice in the shelters. Every time I got into a town he was given a can of moist cat food but he only liked seafood flavors. You did have to watch large areas of bright sun because he could over heat but it never became a problem. He was 14 pounds when I got to Abol Bridge. The rangers had heard about him coming up the trail with me and "stamped" the Smokeys permits with the word pets over the word dog so he did all of the trail except the Smokeys and Baxter. He was definitely into the outdoors as I got him in Manchester, Ohio on the Ohio River while paddling from Confluence, Pa to New Orleans. Once at New Orleans we got onto the A.T., did Georgia to Maine and then he rode on the back of my mt. bike from Maine to Confluence, Pa. The entire trip was 5091 miles long and he did about 4900 miles of the trip. He had been in 25 states by the time he was a year old. He also thought he was a dog and would come when called and sit on command. He was an incredible animal!
    geek
    That's the neatest animal story ever! I thought my jack Russell could kill shelter mice.....nothing like a cat...too cool!

Images

Hmmm, why not a Ferret?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    Great Horned owls weight around 3 lbs and are capable of flying carrying about 1/4th of their body weight. Musta been a very small cat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++