WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Peakbagger, Maine Coon cats also have a long growth period. Most Cats are pretty much full grown at one year. A Maine Coon Cat can take up to Four years to reach maturity. I'll have to check with my sister who used to have one before she became a totally dog person, but one has to wonder how much they consume in the food department.
    The couple Maine Coons we had ate just like regular cats. They were only a couple pounds heavier than normal cats get (so think maybe 18 pounds instead of 11-15 or so for a good size male cat). BUT, there are Maine Coons who are 20-25 pounds and not fat at all, and their caloric intake should be based at how many pounds they weigh, so they will eat a bit more.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    The couple Maine Coons we had ate just like regular cats. They were only a couple pounds heavier than normal cats get (so think maybe 18 pounds instead of 11-15 or so for a good size male cat). BUT, there are Maine Coons who are 20-25 pounds and not fat at all, and their caloric intake should be based at how many pounds they weigh, so they will eat a bit more.
    My Maine Coon isn't the biggest but she's compact, sturdy. Doesn't mind the cold, she's down laying on the cold basement floor while our domestic short hair is laying on the radiators. Doesn't eat a real lot but definitely has a good appetite.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Ferrets are considered pests and illegal in many states, because if they escape and breed, they can seriously upset a wild habitat. They're also noxious, stinky little buggers who like to bite and chew and steal things. Please, no ferrets on the trail.
    This dummy obviously has no idea what he is talking about. Most of the ferret population today are from pet farms that neuter them at a ungodly early time. These places are the cause of diseases late in a ferrets death. The ferrets that are not from pet farms are ether spayed, or used in breeding to try to wean out the adrenal, insulinoma, and lymphoma that most pets get by the time they at 3. Ferret's are so far from the wild that they can't even protect themselves in the wild.

Obnoxious, and stinky they are. But seriously, do your homework before you start providing lies to a already hurt species. How about we talk about the human's on these trails, and how they disrupt the wild habitat by their loud music, disruptive walking, and habits to destroy nature?

Sincerely...A Former Host Of A Domestic Ferret Rescue.
    Cara

Cats in woods = coyote food!

Originally Posted by Hot Flash
    Ferrets are considered pests and illegal in many states, because if they escape and breed, they can seriously upset a wild habitat. They're also noxious, stinky little buggers who like to bite and chew and steal things. Please, no ferrets on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    This dummy obviously has no idea what he is talking about. Most of the ferret population today are from pet farms that neuter them at a ungodly early time. These places are the cause of diseases late in a ferrets death. The ferrets that are not from pet farms are ether spayed, or used in breeding to try to wean out the adrenal, insulinoma, and lymphoma that most pets get by the time they at 3. Ferret's are so far from the wild that they can't even protect themselves in the wild.

Obnoxious, and stinky they are. But seriously, do your homework before you start providing lies to a already hurt species. How about we talk about the human's on these trails, and how they disrupt the wild habitat by their loud music, disruptive walking, and habits to destroy nature?

Sincerely...A Former Host Of A Domestic Ferret Rescue.
    Cara
    I would be careful in assigning intellectual characteristics here. Note the use of two words in the passages post, "IF they escape", and "they CAN upset a wild habitat". Overall, the comment as written is accurate.

Your defensive claim "most" are neutered, does not mean all, which makes Hot Flash correct in the comment that IF a breeding pair of non-neutered animals gets into the wild they CAN create a problem. Feral ferrets have been found in New Mexico, Alaska, and Washington (Jurek, 2001). Among issues associated with feral ferrets is Bovine Tuberculosis, which in countries like New Zealand is a very serious issue, for both dummies and very smart people who do not particularly want to see domestic cattle exposed to.

These considerations were exactly why ferrets have been regulated in the US over the years. A good example is in the following excerpted section from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website.

Restrictions on the Importation and Possession of Domestic Ferrets
    Importation and possession of domestic ferrets have been restricted California since 1933, when the first State law restricting the importing of animals into the California was passed. The animals restricted under that law are included on a list that the Legislature originally called the "Wild Bird and Animal" list, which was later changed to the "Wild Animal" list. The law and regulations together list animals, or groups of animals, representing thousands of species, including those that are taken from the wild, as well as captive-bred animals and many kinds of domesticated animals. The Department of Fish and Wildlife does not have the authority to remove an animal from the list of restricted species. The Fish and Game Commission has authority to authorize the Department to issue permits for possessing restricted species for specific purposes, such as public exhibition, research, and sheltering.
    For more detailed information on the history of ferret restrictions and legalization efforts in California, see "Potential risks associated with the legalization of exotic predators such as the ferret (Mustela putorius furo) in California." - Moore, T.G., and D.A. Whisson, 1998. Proc. 18th Vertebr. Pest Conf.
    California has Agriculture inspection stations at state borders to detect illegally imported plant and animal products before they can get into the State. Persons attempting to import ferrets, or any other restricted animals, without the appropriate permits will be turned back, or they must relinquish the animals to California Department of Food and Agriculture inspectors before entering the State. The owners may authorize the Department to give relinquished ferrets to the California Domestic Ferret Association for adoption outside California.
    Return to top
    The 1933 California Law Prohibiting Importation of Ferrets
    The sections of the original 1933 statute and regulation relating to prohibiting importation of animals, including the domestic ferret, are as follows:
    Excerpts:

"Chapter 76, Statutes of 1933, Section 1, provides as follows:Section 1. it is unlawful to import or transport alive into this State, except as provided in Section 2, any wild bird or animal of the following species or groups:... weasel, Mustela nivalis; stoat, Mustela erminea; ferret, Mustela furio (sic); mongoose, Herpestes mungo, and all other species of the genus Herpestes... "

"REGULATION 1. TOTALLY EXCLUDED SPECIESThe Fish and Game Commission absolutely prohibits the importation of the following wild birds and animals, and permits for their importation will not be issued under any circumstances: . . . weasel, stoat, ferret and fitch; mongoose of any kind . . ."

Notes:
    Section 2 described the process for applying to the Fish and Game Commission for permits to import any species listed in Section 1 and not specifically excluded in Regulation 1. The excluded animals in Regulation 1 were domestic rabbits, if importers provided evidence of domesticity, and tree squirrels, flying squirrels, and chipmunks for zoological gardens.
    These sections were accompanied in the 1933 rules by a guide, "Descriptions of Some Birds and Animals Covered by this Act," which identified the ferret as, "FERRET Mustela furo," referred to it as ". . . the domestic ferret", and included "Other names: Polecat; polecat ferret; fitch."
    It is clear that the domestic ferret was explicitely included in these sections, yet groups promoting pet ferret legalization in California have claimed that the domestic ferret was mistakenly included in this original 1933 list of restricted wild animals.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    More like this.....Attachment 29468I don't know why but I love this pic.
    I like it too. - Its hard to get a good shower!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Traveler, I was about to post something similar...Hot Flash was right as she lives in California, It just doesn't compute to other states. & Foo Foo could have worded the post nicer. I have had a Ferret as a pet years ago... they are a lot of training and work, sleep too many hours and require a big appetite. I don't think taking them on the trail is a good idea. Just an opinion.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Thanks Traveler, I was about to post something similar...Hot Flash was right as she lives in California, It just doesn't compute to other states.
    Not much from Kalifornia does

I have known of three people that hiked an appreciable amount of the Trail with a cat. I hiked for sometime with one of them. It is my considered opinion, and I love cats more than anyone I know, that when one considers the risk from assorted predators, birds of prey especially owls, coyotes, the chance of cats getting lost while chasing other animals, and most of all, the risk of harm from improperly controlled or trained Trail dogs belonging to other hikers that one will meet (and this absolutely describes MOST Trail dogs), it is my considered opinion that taking your kitty on an extended hike on the A.T. is a really lousy idea. It's a really good way to get your cat hurt or more likely, dead. Don't do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++