WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Missing Persons Cold Cases

I saw another news article yesterday about Gerry "Inchworm" Largay, who we all know went missing off the AT in Maine back in 2013. I think at this point, she may be the most well known missing persons cold case on the trail. I was curious to know if she was the only one, though, or if there are other hikers who are still missing that maybe are getting forgotten. A Google search only showed another female hiker, Jesse Hoover, who went missing in 1983 also presumably in Maine. So, my question is, does anyone know the total number of missing persons cold cases on the AT? Or does anyone know of other missing hikers who have never been found?

Images

In the smokies---the Dennis Martin case if probably the most "famous"...

a couple pled of rangers have written a book "Lost" that explains search and rescue cases in the park...

and a couple of years ago---there was a guy who parked at newfound gap and his body has not been found yet....

Images

Thanks TNhiker. Dennis Martin wasn't really a missing hiker case, per say, though you're right it's probably the most "famous" given the size of the S&R effort.

Images

Well---they were hiking to Gregory's bald and he hasn't been found but yes, he was not an AT hiker...

and if one happens to want to read more by googling his story----don't believe anything that the bigfoot hunter (I forget his name) writes....

Images

Ok. I saw what looks to be a pretty nice write-up about him at WBIR.com (http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local...years/9405607/). The guy at Newfound Gap was named Derek Leuking. I'm thinking of writing a blog post about those who are still missing, but it's hard to find anything other than stories about Inchworm.

Images

Yeah.....Derek is the one I was talking about.....

(disclosure---I work for WBIR)....

Images

Two of the people who disappeared in the 'Bennington Triangle' would meet the definition of hikers. Middle Rivers (1945) and Paula Welden (1946) disappeared along the Long Trail and were never found.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Not on the A-T, but my stepgrandfather disappeared while hiking in the Catskills. They never found a body, or any of his gear.

I blogged a story about how he disappeared, and how I climbed the mountain that he was hiking to sign him in at the summit log.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 01-06-2015 at 16:25.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Thank you imscotty and Another Kevin! I will read your blog post Kevin. That had to have been a somewhat interesting/difficult trip up the mountain.

Images

Hey Another Kevin--------the blog link doesnt seem to be working...........

Images

Interesting topic--a lot of my nonhiker friends tend to think that people disappear without a trace all the time in the woods but it's always strange when someone actually does disappear. I got to thinking about it so much that I actually wrote a story about a missing hiking, not on the AT though, but I was surprised--I didn't expect the story to get published but not only did it get published but it was nominated to appear in a fiction anthology.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Original post edited with correct link, which is http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2014/1...rimage-or.html.

Old_man,
    Any chance to get a link or copy of your story for a voracious reader?
    Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Interesting topic--a lot of my nonhiker friends tend to think that people disappear without a trace all the time in the woods but it's always strange when someone actually does disappear. I got to thinking about it so much that I actually wrote a story about a missing hiking, not on the AT though, but I was surprised--I didn't expect the story to get published but not only did it get published but it was nominated to appear in a fiction anthology.

Journal Entries
    Images

Guess it happens every year in Alaska. So much area, so much weather, so many animals. Alaska is the one place I would carry the extra weight of a wheelgun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Old_man,
    Any chance to get a link or copy of your story for a voracious reader?
    Rolex
    My bad, I meant to include the link in the original post--here

Thanks for reading

Great blog post Another Kevin, those old newspaper articles and your connection to the history is fascinating.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Great blog post Another Kevin, those old newspaper articles and your connection to the history is fascinating.
    Thanks! It meant a lot to my stepfather that I remembered his father when I went there. (At 84, he's not about to be climbing up there himself!)

My bad, I meant to include the link in the original post--here

Thanks for reading

Creepily good story. Hm, maybe I won't hike alone. 0_0

Journal Entries
    Images

Becca - please do not dwell on this... a few thing happen on the trail to good people. Its a shame... For the folks that hike the trail is something that might make you loose sleep.

I hope your family is doing better,,, I read the "about you" on your profile and wish you the best outcome.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++