WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Recommend stakes for frozen ground

I often use a tarp-type setup with my trekking poles (assuming I get them fixed) and that means lots of stakes. It is finally getting cold enough here in CT where the ground will start to freeze soon. In the absence of any meaningful snow, any suggestions on stakes that can be used in hard / frozen ground?

Thanks!

Don't use any. If the ground is solid, a T (or L shaped) stick will easily freeze to it with a small amount of water poured over it. Then tie off to the stick.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    Don't use any. If the ground is solid, a T (or L shaped) stick will easily freeze to it with a small amount of water poured over it. Then tie off to the stick.
    does this work well? about to use my new tarp with way more tie outs than i am used to and am stressing out over frozen snow free ground. on a lighter note but still seriously, has it worked for you with urine?
    Lazarus

That seems like it would take a while with all the tie-outs I have on mine. Time to locate and trim 8 to 10 branches, plus time for each to set...seems like a overkill for a fairly mild-weather state.

In general I tie off to other things first. If the ground is frozen solid, then no stakes are going to work anyway. But yes it does work and doesnt take very long. Though tying off to other things is still faster. Choose a spot next to a downed tree and you have an entire length if tree to tie to on one side. Benn stake less for a few years now. Once I got used to it, it goes very fast. Never tried urine.

Images

If there's snow suitable for snowballs, then a stick through a loop of cord buried in a small trench and packed in with more snow works surprisingly well.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Gutter spikes work well. cheap too.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

They're getting hard to find! They're actually terrible for hanging gutters because they're great at splitting 3/4" fascia.

Images

I've used MSR Needle Stakes for frozen ground before. They're tough, narrow, and they're a single solid piece. Use a rock to hammer them two inches into frozen ground. Beware tent stakes in these conditions that are two pieces glued/adhered together (Easton Nano Stakes, or the ones that came with my Tarptent a while back), I've had them pull apart when removing them from frozen ground. Another possibility is to used nearby stones (15-20 lbs) as anchor points. Just put the stake through the loop on the guyline and lay that on the ground so that the stake is lying flat and perpendicular to the guyline, then put the stone on top of that.

The lightest option I've found is to bring one heavier stake that I can really hammer with a rock or piece of wood and use this to make "pilot holes" for my titanium skewer stakes. There are also aluminum gutter nails (as already mentioned), titanium "nail" stakes and stakes made from aluminum arrow shafts that work pretty well.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

A long aluminum knitting needle makes for a great snow stake...comes in multiple colors as well

Also multi purpose for all you knitters out there.

The problem with snow isn't setting the stake, it's removing them from the frozen-tight snow in the morning.

That's why you use the stick in the trench method mentioned above and set the knot for your buntline hitch above the snow (any length adjusters should be made from the tarp side).
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

wood screws, no really, bring an easy way to screw them in or out like a ratchet with a phillips head socket, especially if your tent has lots of guyot points and also if you have friends who probably have crappy stakes, because you will be staking down their tent as well. I wouldn't do this on a thruhike, but if I'm going out for a weekend not too far in and I know the ground will be frozen I use screws. I busted enough expensive stakes in frozen ground.

"Beware tent stakes in these conditions that are two pieces glued/adhered together (Easton Nano Stakes, or the ones that came with my Tarptent a while back), I've had them pull apart when removing them from frozen ground"
    It helps if you tap them in before giving them a bit of a nudge with your boot and then pull them out.

++ New Posts ++