Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemontheat View Post
    Good Day Folks,

I plan to start a flip flop on April 1, 2016 starting south of Shenandoah and hike to the Flip Flop Festival in Harpers Ferry on April 16th to hook up with other hikers heading out to Maine. If anyone hasn’t considered starting on April 16th in Harpers Ferry going north...think about it! Crowd avoidance, milder weather, good acclimatization time before hitting PA (I see people say MD is rocky and I will respectfully disagree, MD is a piece of cake! I am a Marylander and have been across our lil 40ish miles more times than I can count) and a festival to kick it off.

The ATC has a great web page for alternative hikes – check out their revamped website.

I hope to meet other flip floppers so don’t be shy – trail name is Mayhem, email is [email protected]
    See you out there!
    Hi Mayhem, thanks! Food for thought...

I posted ages ago, but after much negotiation with my husband, I am now just doing a month or so section hike, Harper's Ferry SOBO to Erwin.

Not sure when I'll start, but probably between mid March and mid May.

Anyone else section or flip flopping SOBO?

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemontheat View Post
    Good Day Folks,

I plan to start a flip flop on April 1, 2016 starting south of Shenandoah and hike to the Flip Flop Festival in Harpers Ferry on April 16th to hook up with other hikers heading out to Maine. If anyone hasn’t considered starting on April 16th in Harpers Ferry going north...think about it! Crowd avoidance, milder weather, good acclimatization time before hitting PA (I see people say MD is rocky and I will respectfully disagree, MD is a piece of cake! I am a Marylander and have been across our lil 40ish miles more times than I can count) and a festival to kick it off.

The ATC has a great web page for alternative hikes – check out their revamped website.

I hope to meet other flip floppers so don’t be shy – trail name is Mayhem, email is [email protected]
    See you out there!
    This is actually the same basic Flip/Flop plan that I wrote to my hiking partner about. He is retiring from the Navy in March and we are shooting for bagging the AT. My border collie and I will be driving out from Montana to meet him in VA. I figured the Shenandoah's would be a good shake down and gear tweak while we are still close to where he lives in VA. The other thought was that this would give us time to put miles beneath our feet for conditioning and at the same time allowing VT to pass the "mud" season. Good to hear about MD. I have watched some vids of the Whites and Maine and it looks like it could be challenging for my BC. I have spent most of my career hiking so I think my main challenge will be to cheerfully enjoy the east coast monsoons. Got to love the arid American West!

I was also reading in AWOL that some folks canoe around the Shenandoah to Harper's Ferry. Now that sounds interesting too! Anyone know mo' info about that option?

Default Flip-flopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis1948 View Post
    I plan to start on May 1, 2016. I plan to do a flip flop from Harpers Ferry, W.Va., north to Katahdin; Harpers Ferry, W.Va., south to Springer Mountain. I know of at least two more who will start about the same time.
    I plan exact same flip-flop on May 1, 2016. Hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew by planning to average 15 miles per day...ish. what about you?

I plan exact same flip-flop on May 1, 2016. Hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew by planning to average 15 miles per day...ish. what about you?

It's a little later than I would like, but I'll be leaving NOBO Mid April. I need to average 15ish miles a day in order to make it back by my goal time so I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew as well!

I will be at Springer Tuesday March 22nd! Can hardly wait!

I'm planning a NOBO mid-March, I'm going to be hiking with my father and my best friend may be hiking some of the trail with us also.

I would very much like to thru hike in 2016, but need to raise the funds to do it. I spent 6 1/2 months making this quilt. It has 2,024 two-inch squares, each individually hand quilted. If you know of anybody who might be interested in purchasing it, I would be grateful for your referal. It is on display at a library right now for $4500.quilt at mckee library.jpg

Yep! I'm a 35 yo female planning to hike in mid March to early April. Hopefully I'll see you there

from MD too, living in SC now. Will be starting on May 15th from the NOBO approach trail. maybe see you out there

I am a 45 year old (turning 46 on the trail) first timer to long distance section hiking. plenty of day hiking but going solo leaving on May 15th. can't wait, but was thinking the same thing. see you out there. when are planning on starting?

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi! I'm 34 y o starting off from Springer on 4/9. Looks like I'll run in to some of you!
    And i started a "hey ladies" thread in the Class of 2016 forum to connect there too

I'm heading out March 28th. Nervously excited.

Planning on taking a semester off from college and starting in May, NOBO

Journal Entries

I'm leaving the military, doing a flip flop hike starting in early May out of Harper's Ferry, going northbound first. Super excited!

Greetings,

I am a 43 year old female, and will be section hiking NOBO (Georgia to Pennsylvania) this summer. I am hoping to find a hiking buddy or group to hike with. My departure date is flexible anytime after April 12. What section are you hiking this summer?

I am starting in Pawling NY on 6/28 and going to Katahdin. Pawling is about 450 miles from Harpers Ferry so not sure that the timing works. Also I live in Panama City so if you'd like to get together and discuss the trail let me know.

Going NOBO mid March.

April 1st....Im going to go 30 days. Thats all I can get away from work.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++