WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite piece of gear?

I am starting to plan my first thru-hike and am looking for input about your favorite piece of gear, whether it be clothing, tent, shoes, pack, or stove. Just looking for favorites and reasons why to jump start my search for equipment. Thanks!

My down puffer. Great for early spring or fall. Other than that, my French press. Got to have good coffee

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

As much as I like fleece beanies. I love my smart wool cuffed beanie

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheErked1 View Post
    I am starting to plan my first thru-hike and am looking for input about your favorite piece of gear, whether it be clothing, tent, shoes, pack, or stove. Just looking for favorites and reasons why to jump start my search for equipment. Thanks!
    I suggest you do as much overnight backpacking as possible before investing too much in gear. If you have something to work with. Everyone is different. So what I like (lightweight) might not be good who likes to eat well or sleeps cold.

That said: (aside from my cell phone)
    - my zlite sleeping pad. I have used a billion blow up pads and they were great (when they didn't pop) but the zlite was simple and comfortable enough and I didn't have to blow it up. So I felt good about coming in after dark to camp or getting up early at camp as it was quick and quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

at night my favorite is my hammock, hiking my shoes and raining my Packa
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    at night my favorite is my hammock, hiking my shoes and raining my Packa
    What are the specifics of those items? Any particular brands or makes?

Svea stove, a classic. Mine is 45 years old and still roaring. Everything else is just stuff.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

a Packa is a Packa. my favorite hammock is a DIY. shoes Merrell. what season are you asking about. want specific gear, ask a specific question
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Svea stove, a classic. Mine is 45 years old and still roaring. Everything else is just stuff.
    I'm honestly tempted to buy a Svea for winter use. Never had one before, but I made itmall the way to Eagle scout with a Coleman Peak 1...that thing was scary after my patrol abused it too many times...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Lets see, my ULA pack, my Leatherman Micra and my microspikes are probably my favorites.

I like my Tarptent double rainbow, but if I had to buy it again, it'd be very tempted to try a Lightheart Gear SoLong tent.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Vargo 750 Sierra titanium. I can use it for any cooking method, with zelph alcohol stoves for hot or simmer plus Suluk46 titanium windscreen I intend to purchase, or, use it on a zelph folding wood stove fire.

I need no additional serving dish or bowl, or, cup or mug: I take my meals one item at a time.

Now, I have a Snow Peak spork and hybrid spatula: the handle on the spatula may be removed and added to the length of the handle on the spork for "reach" for FBC freezer bag cooking.

The mesh from purchasing vegetables is cut up for a "scrubbie".

I have never had a better "kitchen" for backpacking purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Vargo 750 Sierra titanium. I can use it for any cooking method, with zelph alcohol stoves for hot or simmer plus Suluk46 titanium windscreen I intend to purchase, or, use it on a zelph folding wood stove fire.

I need no additional serving dish or bowl, or, cup or mug: I take my meals one item at a time.

Now, I have a Snow Peak spork and hybrid spatula: the handle on the spatula may be removed and added to the length of the handle on the spork for "reach" for FBC freezer bag cooking.

The mesh from purchasing vegetables is cut up for a "scrubbie".

I have never had a better "kitchen" for backpacking purposes.
    Hey Connie,

How do you like your snow peak titanium spork? After using mine for two years, I just switched to a long lexan spoon. Cheaper, easier to clean (stuff doesn't stick as much), great for soups due to heat transfer properties, and well, I just never liked the feel of that titanium spoon in my mouth. Furthermore, I never felt the need for the prongs of the spork.

just curious.. it is only a spork

Salomon trailrunners and wool socks. As long as my feet are happy I'm happy. OK, really its my camera phone. I can call home every 5 days or so and it has all the pictures I've taken over the last three years.

There are pros and cons to all my gear but I chose the pieces based on my personal preference after reading reviews, going to stores to check them out and determining what is best for the hikes I am planning to do.

Got to say that mine is my pee-bottle I hate getting up in the middle of the night when it is 20 degrees out.

Did you have a RURP? It is a Realized Ultimate Reality Piton I wore on my mountaineering jacket, as a zipper pull.

It is a status symbol. I think the Sporks are a hiker status symbol.

I have had a Snow Peak Short Spork from the time I first saw it at REI. It has a better texture than some. This new-to-me Snow Peak Spork and Hybrid Spatula has more polish. I like it, but I like the Snow Peak Short Spork.

The "tines" are not a fork. These little not sharp "tines" help me get food chunks out of a serving dish.

My serving dish is my Vargo 750 Sierra titanium, or, a FBC freezer bag cooking 1-quart freezer bag.

There is a highly polished spork for sale, I found, in Europe. It has an excellent spoon shape. I put up a "post" about it, here, at White Blaze. I will look around to add an "edit".

Here it is in the "am I turning into a gram weenie" thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ighlight=Spork

I like my Snow Peak, but I like a lot of things Snow Peak.

edit: Every Lexan spoon I have had "snaps" broken in cold weather, just the time I want hot or warm food most.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-30-2014 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    a Packa is a Packa.
    Thanks for clearing that up KK.
    CT

Garlic
    Images

My favorite piece of gear is usually whatever I bought or made last. For a while it was my Pepsi can stove, then my Gossamer Gear pack, then my Tarptent Contrail, then my enLightened Equipment Quilt, then my New Balance trail runners...pretty much everything I carry has been a favorite at some point.

For a while, it was even my PCT bandanna with a list of trail towns and mileage and "HIKER TO TOWN" printed on one side and "HIKER TO TRAIL" printed on the other--multi-use hitchhiking/resupply planning tool, given out at the kick-off party. I still pack that bandanna from 2004.

Wilderness Logics LiteOwl. This hammock has consistently provided me my most comfortable night's sleep; in the woods or otherwise. From a cost perspective, the hammock itself it is no more than many inflatable pads however, to maximize comfort requires an investment in a set of quilts. Eventually the cost of accessories can get dizzying. I am approaching $3K invested in hammocks and accessories.

Good Luck

Can't really say since i completely reoutfitted myself a few months ago, i haven't used my new set up enough to really know what my favorite piece of gear is, However in 2011 i bought a "Mountain Hardwear Direttissima 46" and used it on my 2012 Thru-hike and loved it so far to date it's the best back pack i have ever bought, it holds a load well and very comfortable.

if i had to pick a item out of my new set up i would have to choose the stove " JetBoil SOL-TI ".

My favorite gear is my New Balance Minimus 1010v2. They changed how I hike and backpack. Ive never had a more comfortable pair of hiking shoes and switching from heavy boots, I now never get blisters and save tons of energy. Favorite. Period.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++