WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Staying warm this winter?

Hello,
    This winter I am planning to camp in temps about 15 degrees. I currently have a down 32 degree sleeping bag. what can I do to stay warm? I will be camping, so weight will not be an issue and I do not plan on buying another sleeping bag. I will have plenty of insulation under me and I will be sleeping in a tent with friends. I do have many synthetic bags rated to 30 degrees too that I can pair with my sleeping bag and also fleece blankets. How can I layer them so I stay the warmest?
    Thank You

Garlic
    Images

One trick is maintaining your insulation loft. You don't want to cram a bag inside yours and compress all the loft out of it--that might be worse than doing nothing. Some see the same adverse effect when wearing a heavy jacket inside the bag. Also, you need some room to be able to move a little to generate some heat, and you don't want limbs restricted.

If you can add something like a large, lightweight down comforter over the bag (and maybe the buddies' bags), that might help. Again, excess weight will compress the lower bag's insulation.

You can try making a fleece liner, custom fit to your bag, with the blankets you have. Some can't use liners, especially if you're restless and toss and turn.

Sleeping with a good quality water bottle filled with hot water is a good winter camping trick. Keep a thermos filled with hot water in the tent for drinking through the night.

Moisture control is pretty important, though less so with synthetics. Made sure you don't get your bag wet by contacting wet tent walls. With several people in a tent, you might see frozen condensation problems if you don't ventilate enough. One group of guys I know got so much icing inside the tent, they couldn't open the zipper to get out and pee. They were about the slit it open but the tent's owner required a $500 payment for that. That was a long wait for the sun.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

If I understand you correctly, you're not hiking a significant distance to a backcountry campsite. Sounds like you have what you need to stay warm. As you suggested, just layer a second bag on top of the one you sleep in. You can also bring a down or fleece jacket inside the bag with you to use like a blanket. Also, depending on your relationship with your friends, body heat is a great thing to share.

I choose bibs, to have no restriction of the skin surface.

I have layered sleeping bags, only over the top. I used adequate insulation pads and R-value airmats under me.

I also pulled everything in a pulk. It is not for sale: I would only be persuaded to sell it at full price. I like winter camping.

I suggest, if you like winter camping, consider a portable wood stove like Ti-Goat in a small tipi tent like Lil' Bug Out. I suggest this, because it is difficult to carry enough insulation, plus warming food, plus keep water from freezing. I suggest small containers of water inside clothing, and, inside the sleeping bag system with you.

If you don't mind doggy odor (there are odorless dogs) have you heard of Four Dog Night?

Sleep with one or more dogs, if they will.

Get a good bag Liner and a Air Pad and some good down pants or bibs and maybe a down jacket with a hood and you should be fine. and if you cant afford down, Synthetic will work just fine, I have been using synthetic sleeping bag and clothes for many years with no regrets or complaints in temps Well below what you will experience.

Just layer the bags, with the top opened out as a quilt. Maybe put the down bag on top and sleep in the other. Enjoy
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

A good, light liner will buy you about 10 degrees from my experience. Therma rest has a new pad that is light and super warm. Balaclava to me is mandatory in cold weather. Food right before bed and hydrate. PS. Pee bottle mandatory so you don't have to get cold to take care of biz

I'm not a believer of wearing a lot of clothes while sleeping. I strip down to the minimum and put my clothing in my bag. I prefer this method because you tend to have to wear more clothes when you get up so, acclimation is best. Also, maybe unzipping your bag and use it like a quilt. I can't stand being confined in a bag, place some of your blankets or another bag under you and sleep close to buddies.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

++ New Posts ++