WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which month for WY southbound starter?

Last year's CDT attempt was interrupted by a home emergency. I wasn't able to do more than montana. I'm going to start from Yellowstone I think this year but I'm not sure about an optimal date. Any advice?

Looks like there will be a lot of snow out that way this season. You'll have to wait until the Tetons are passable, maybe July?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In 2011 the trail was not passable through the Wind River range until mid July due to deep, rotten snow.

The CDT does not go through the Tetons at all so WADR they are irrelevant.

2011 was a historic year with essentially NO SPRING. Nonetheless I wouldn't start the Cascade Corner of YNP until at least July 1 and possibly later if we have a lingering snowpack. Upper Jade Lake just of the CDT had ice on it and snow on the approach July 5, 2008. Two Ocean could be tricky if you go to early. Be prepared for SERIOUS skeeters right off the bat and through the Winds.

STREAM FLOWS will be your biggest concern. I'd be prepared to go Northbound if necessary.

Images

I went nobo from S Pass City thru the Winds to Old Faithful the last half of July 2011. The fords of S and W Buffalo Forks and Soda Ck between them were pretty treacherous and definitely got the adrenaline flowing. The mosquitoes for the whole distance were very difficult to deal with and were everywhere (first hatch after snowmelt.). It required both DEET and my headnet to keep them at bay even when moving at a good clip. I killed 50 that came into my tent a coupler times. (Superfeet make good flyswatters.). It would be nice to delay start until a couple weeks after all the snow has melted, but that might make things problematic in CO if you plan to continue to Mexico. Are you free to start nobo around May 1? That might be a better option depending on snowpack in the San Juan's this winter. You'll also be more likely to have company.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++