WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I have several pairs of Inov8's. My favs are the Roclite 400 GTX and then the Roclite 286 GTX. Since I only use them for the trail, I think I'm good for another year or two. I don't think they are made anymore so I'm not sure what I will do when they're worn out...
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

I love my Brook Cascadia 9 trail runners. They are so light and comfy! I am not a AT thru-hike graduate, but I have backpacked and hiked in all weather with these. I just purchased 2 pairs of the Brooks Cascadia 10s and they are close to the same feel as the 9s. I also use the green Superfeet instead of the factory insoles.

Check out this Survey done in 2014 about what shoes people on the AT were wearing http://appalachiantrials.com/footwea...lachian-trail/

Almost forgot, wear Darn Tough micro-crew wool socks with these shoes. Haven't had a single blister!

Keen shoes and Smart Wool socks have always treated me well!

Kulliman: I'm seriously considering the Brooks Cascadia 10's. I also use Green Superfeet in my hiking shoes (currently Merrill Moab Ventilators). All of my running shoes are 9.5, so do I need to size up on the new TRs, and assuming so, 10 or 10.5. What is your experience with Brooks?
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I like non-waterproof breatheable trail shoes, and, slip-on self-draining water shoes for water-crossings and for the campsite.

I use Good Feet MAX inside the trail shoes, because I put in long miles over rocky ground.

Journal Entries

A friend of mine recommended Merrill to me and that is all I have ever worn for hiking. Their customer support is the best! I also took advice and bought boots at least a half size to a full size bigger than normal to make room for foot swelling an expansion. Try this...hope it helps.

I found Merrill Proterra Vim Sport Hiking Shoe "on sale". It has the good forefoot shape I mentioned.

I didn't say, I find a "good fit" and I look for sales. I also like the more conservative colors for footwear.

These have mesh for good draining and walk-dry, or, for drying overnight for spring and early summer hiking.

No Gortex, Gortex clogs. I would rather rinse out socks and have another dry pair of socks for the next morning. I also carry another pair of clean sleeping socks that help keep the expensive down sleep system clean.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-08-2015 at 08:49.

Chaos! Good for at least the whole trail before a resole and they're great for helping/preventing plantar fasciitis!

Quote Originally Posted by Brup Bup View Post
    Chaos! Good for at least the whole trail before a resole and they're great for helping/preventing plantar fasciitis!
    I don't believe I have heard of a boot or shoe making the full thru hike in a season. Even the Limmer boots seem to need a resoling around 1800 miles. I would think sandals are less robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    La Sportiva wildcats
    Scarpa Kailash GTX
    Salewa Pro Gaiter Boots
    Sorel Conquests pac boots

That about covers it...
    How did you like the La Sportive Wildcats? I just bought them for my thru.... going to test them out. They felt good in the store.

I bought a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors this week. Be careful if you buy them online. They run small. I had to go up to a size 10 from my usual size 9 1/2. I will give them a workout in Colorado this summer. If they work for me, I will buy more before they are changed or discontinued.
    I have 3 pairs of Merrill Radius shoes as backup.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Altra trail shoes. Currently Superior 2.0, Lone Peak 2.5 are in the mail.

This is an excellent article on what AT hikers wore in 2015, both at the beginning and at the end of their hikes. Hile 50% started their hikes with boots, the number dropped to 28% at the end with 60% using trail runners. Beware of Cascadias, apparently they were universally disliked due to quality issues.

http://appalachiantrials.com/footwea...lachian-trail/

brooks cascadias paired with smartwool PhD socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    This is an excellent article on what AT hikers wore in 2015, both at the beginning and at the end of their hikes. Hile 50% started their hikes with boots, the number dropped to 28% at the end with 60% using trail runners. Beware of Cascadias, apparently they were universally disliked due to quality issues.

http://appalachiantrials.com/footwea...lachian-trail/

Yes, the last generation of cascadias has a design flaw. Mine have 500 + miles on mine and somehow show no signs of wear. I did hear that Brooks has addressed the problem for the new generation of cascadias

I'm kind of an oddball. I hike in light-weight LE duty boots...they are close to the same weight as trail runners but provide more foot support and cushioning. I never do them all the way up for the ankle support as I don't feel I need it. They just work for me. I come from a LE background and wore them all day, every day and my feet never hurt if I was standing or walking on concrete all day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++