WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default water sources near West Mtn Shelter in NY?

Safe to assume to the water sources near West Mtn Shelter near Bear Mountain, NY will be in good shape this time of year? I was specifically eyeing Beechy Bottom Brook about .8 miles south on the AT before the shelter. Any reports on the current conditions on this stretch of the AT? Thanks in advance for any tips!

As I remember it, there is no water source at the shelter. If you are hiking southbound, water up at Beechy Bottom Brook. Shelter is 0.6 miles off the AT. I remember seeing the Meadowlands Stadium from up at that shelter.

Twilight

Images

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    As I remember it, there is no water source at the shelter. If you are hiking southbound, water up at Beechy Bottom Brook. Shelter is 0.6 miles off the AT. I remember seeing the Meadowlands Stadium from up at that shelter.

Twilight
    I was in Harriman Park today and there seemed to be plenty of water, at least on the west side of the park anyway.
    If Beechy Bottom is dry you can go down into Doodletown and get water from the reservoir. It's not close but it's wet.

Haven't been out that way since September. Last fill up before West Mountain was the rest stop on the Pallisades. It was super dry. Hopefully better with the weather we've had.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Thanks all for the tips. We filled up at the brook (just after Pallisades Pkwy crossing) hiked up West Mtn and camped right next to the West Mtn Shelter. I know it's considered far off the AT as it is about 1/2 mile down a blue blazed side trail but I think it's well worth it for the view of the NYC skyline right from your campsite. Shelter also has a new roof and floor and fireplace. Trail overall was in great shape, thank you all NY-NJ trail maintainers and volunteers!

++ New Posts ++