WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheaper alternative to zpacks challenger rain pants?

Hey UL folk, title says it all -- I'm feeling a little poor at this point & hope to spend less than $165 on rain pants but still get close-ish to the 3.6oz & compressability of the zpacks pant.

The golite tumalo looked like a great options, but they don't seem to sell it anymore:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...tml#.VJ9HbLgfB

Ah, may have found something to try, 6oz @$30:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/whi...r-men~p~1074c/

... but please send me other recs!

I bought a pr of the, I think, 2013 version GoLite Tumalo rain pants at a GL outlet in CO, if I'm remembering correctly, for $32 in an out of season sale. They were a good price to me serving my long distance hiking needs adequately for that price pt.

In 2011 when Ray Estrella did his review GL was using 2.5 layer Pertex DS. GL shortly went to their Trinity membrane. That's what I have. They are still perfect after more than 2000 trail miles and a few off trail romps being worn in heavy prolonged rain, wind, cold and when sleeping. They get worn much more than just in the rain. You'll get some comments here from folks that despise mentioning rain pants.

I here you. For my UL needs too I'd rather drop bigger bucks on a jacket that will be worn more then pants that, for most hikers, aren't worn as often.

FWIW, I notice no specs given for breathabilty(MVTR) or hydrostatic head(WPness) for the White Sierra pants which might be something you would want to see for rain pants. STP has a decent return policy though.

Images

Marmot's Precip full zip rain pant are an option. I saw them on sale but can't remember where. I have some Go-Lite Tumalo full zip rain pants and they are a few ounces lighter. The full zip lets you open up and vent some heat when needed.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

The Cleaner noted it. The Tumalos came in a full zip and a short ankle type length zip. Since I was being a gram weenie when I bought mine I thought I could get away with the shorter zip and save some wt and overall still meet my needs for this piece. I thought if it's that hot and/or humid that I need full zips than I probably shouldn't be wearing rain pants.

I've been pondering the rain pant question as well. Finally went with Dri Ducks again. Durability is an issue but the price and weight is unbeatable IMO. I paid $15 for the rain suit. I don't use the Dri Ducks jacket. I actually have two brand new medium Dri Ducks jackets that I could send for free to anyone who wants it.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

coffee-----sent ya a PM regarding jacket...

thanks....

Perfect, Dri Ducks it is, thanks Coffee. Fyi for those still looking, I also found these, although tmp out of stock & no posted weight:

http://www.rei.com/product/869247/re...seam#tab-specs

Too bad the Marmot precepts are out of stock everywhere & golite went bankrupt, doh.

Images

Too bad the Marmot precepts are out of stock everywhere

are they outta stock?

i was just at an REI in maryland and saw some jackets........

and sierra trading post has em for around 75 bucks....

Ah cool, thnx. I just looked on the marmot website & rei -- I'll wait to see how the driDucks are @half the weight before "upgrading."

Images

although i just realized that you were wanting pants and i only looked at jackets...........

Both ZPacks and LightHeartGear have long cuben rain skirts, better to cover knees. If lower legs are crashing thru brush, long gaiters or rain chaps provide coverage. I doubt you need that on the AT. But don't "real men" wear a rain skirt, I mean cuben kilt, on the AT?

In my experience, wind pants may resist rain, but rain pants are not worth having, because rain pants are much too warm for hiking.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-28-2014 at 04:28.

I'm thinking of making wind jacket and pants out of Tyvek painter suits. $8 or so each, get a front zipper somewhere. Tyvek is 1.86 oz sq. yd. I believe.
    Is Tyvek water proof enough to count as rain wear, not just wind wear?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Both ZPacks and LightHeartGear have long cuben rain skirts, better to cover knees. If lower legs are crashing thru brush, long gaiters or rain chaps provide coverage. I doubt you need that on the AT. But don't "real men" wear a rain skirt, I mean cuben kilt, on the AT?

In my experience, wind pants may resist rain, but rain pants are not worth having, because rain pants are much too warm for hiking.
    LightHeart Gear does not have cuben rain skirts. The Rain Wrap is made from ripstop nylon, silicone coating on the outside, PU coating on the inside. They will not wet out (so you can sit on a wet log/rock and not get your bottom wet).

I'm about to put up some really unique rain pants on the website soon. I just need to get some photos taken. They will be the same material as the rain jackets, and rain wraps.

I quit working with cuben about a year ago. I had some problems with bad cuben - the stuff just delaminated,

My bad. I guess I was too enthusiastic about writing "cuben kilt".

Good to know about the fabric. Is the rain Hoodie that special fabric?

> In my experience, wind pants may resist rain, but rain pants are not worth having, because rain pants are much too warm for hiking.

Thnx again for offering your advice/experience, Connie. My thought was: since I'll only have lightweight shorts and merino leggings/longJohns to keep my legs warm, I would wear the rain pants on cold days for the extra warmth. But maybe I'll be warm enough without them? I like the idea of a kilt & will def switch to it in spring, but for March/April that was my idea. I guess perhaps what other folks do is hike in pants & not shorts in March? ... & add the kilt to that?

Wind pants are worn over layers, you mention, to keep warm. Many do just that.

Find out who likes wind pants, or, rain pants, used as you intend.

I keep seeing forum comments, either way. You become the expert for you.

I run warm. For me, wind pants are not over layers. Rain pants, no way. I wear chaps for wet brush, or, long gaiters for more snow than a little snow, or, hiking rain skirt wrap for a drenching rain, along with my tarp wrapped as a poncho secured with a simple dee ring "belt buckle".

I think I will go to the FireHeartGear Rain Hoodie, this year, worn with a "fresh" DWR windshirt and rain skirt wrap.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-28-2014 at 17:53.

+1 on the tyvek coverall suits. I recently picked one up for $10 at the depot. I haven't started surgery on it yet, but it is light and inexpensive. I will get a jacket with hood, pants, and likely some kinda rain gators. I got the suit with booties.

Another alternative is rain chaps. Chaps cover the legs, but there's no material covering the groin area to the waste. The benefit is they are cooler in summer, and easier to don and doff.
    I bought mine at gossamer gear 3 years ago for 45 bucks. 2 ounces for the pair. The pair I have are sil-nylon.

Last year before my BMT section hike I took an old pair of Sierra Designs microlight pants and cut them off at the knees to turn into shorts. The workmanship left a lot to be desired, but I was very pleased with the functionality. Kept rain off my hiking shorts and helped keep me a bit warmer. Also worked well as something to wear while doing laundry. Much better breathability than wearing full rain pants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++