Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

So far I cannot relate to any of this. I guess all my obsessing has paid off. I don't like surprises.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Tried to watch it but it was hard, fast forwarded through the city scenes to ease the pain, I kept seeing legally blonde, finally turned it off, IMO, they could not have done a worse job of casting, unrealistic, who would go on a hike without reading the directions to a stove and tent...give me a break!
    Sadly it's not unheard of, I have met a good number of people on the trail who came directly from their neighborhood REI/EMS outfitted with the latest gear still in the packaging and jammed into backpacks with the tags still attached. I've also packed some of this packaging out when it was discarded under a tent platform.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Just saw it.
    I'l say this:
    From a hiker's perspective, it was good, for what it showed of hiking.
    But, too much of the past life scenes that turned it into a "chick flick".

I imagine female heroin addicts thought the opposite.

And after reading the book, I was expecting more CA scenes. Not OR and finishing up at the Columbia river.
    Wondering why they couldn't follow the true story a little better in that regard???
    Maybe CA parks charge too much for shooting rights or something?
    Anyone know.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Just saw it.

And after reading the book, I was expecting more CA scenes. Not OR and finishing up at the Columbia river.
    Wondering why they couldn't follow the true story a little better in that regard???
    Maybe CA parks charge too much for shooting rights or something?
    Anyone know.
    I know that one of the problems they faced was that the Government Shutdown happened while they were filming. The National Parks were shut down so they had to find other locations. I think most of the desert scenes were actually shot in Oregon.

So far all I can relate to in this movie is the Simon & Garfunkel songs. I know there is this whole other world out there. I am so glad I left that soap opera behind back on 10/18/1980. The boring life is so much more rewarding. Hope this thing gets better. If you are thinking about renting it, so far I would say don't. Love the music though.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    A friend asked me if I wanted to see it and I replied "Let's see American sniper instead. I'd rather watch a story about a hero than one that glorifies an immoral heroin addict".
    Great response and choice.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I am struggling to recall a worse movie than this. There is nothing I can add that would be constructive. Final word: Don't waste your time.

Read the book first ... then saw the movie ... enjoyed both because they were just someone's story. I like to hear people's stories because there are usually a thought or two from which I can learn.

I'm guessing not many here have seen Requiem for a Dream

(much more stark depiction of heroin addiction). Again, Wild was an addiction movie, not a hiking movie.

Quote Originally Posted by teefal View Post
    Wild was an addiction movie, not a hiking movie.
    Yes. All of the non-hiking women in my life loved this movie but wished they spent more time on her personal issues and less on the hiking part. <shrug>

As a non-addict hiking woman I can say I enjoyed the book and the movie. I would definitely recommend it. I can't decide if Bill Bryson's a walk in the woods had more or less hiking than wild. Both are good at publicizing the trails we love and entertaining the reader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Watched the movie from netflix last night. While I might get inspired to hike the pct one day, the movie will not be the source of that inspiration.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I thought it was pretty good. It did include a Grateful Dead song.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Saw it.Some of the photography was nice.People in the hiking community need not be worried that it will cause a "trail rush",if anything,it would inspire people to stay home.Focus was on past issues and not hiking and/or love of the outdoors.Has the Robert Redford movie about the AT been released yet?

I thought it was a pretty good movie. How many of us have started off with packs that big and learned the true lessons of the trail along the way?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Saw it.Some of the photography was nice.People in the hiking community need not be worried that it will cause a "trail rush",if anything,it would inspire people to stay home.Focus was on past issues and not hiking and/or love of the outdoors.Has the Robert Redford movie about the AT been released yet?
    I think one could already make a strong argument that the Wild book and movie have already caused a huge upsurge in hikers on the PCT. There is now a daily limit set on starters at Campo and you need a reservation. And I have seen posts by people who follow the PCT closely which indicate that starters have doubled.

Following the Bryson books publication there was a large upsurge on the AT (I hiked in it) and many here on WB complained about it endlessly. I expect AT traffic will surge again following the movie release.

Journal Entries
    Images

I read the book, thru hiked the PCT in 2014 hearing about the making of the movie the whole way. Then finally saw the movie last winter. Im sure the movie brought the PCT more attention although not all of the book or the movie was focused on the trail.

looking forward to seeing it

Given the thread is 5-years old or so, you'll need to look backward to see it.

Just a troll, trolling!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++