Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

It was a bad movie and like many of the movies about hiking, flawed. You always hear the same stories in all the long-distance hiking movies. They belabor the pains, the same gear and weight issues and tell a personal story about the main character.

For me it is like photographs of the mountains. I'm always disappointed on how little can little can be captured in a photo. It almost trivializes the experience. Some things just have to be lived to truly understand them.

Paid the small rental fee on Amazon Prime a couple weeks ago to watch it since it was a slow day. I only made it about halfway through and just couldn't watch any more. I was expecting a hiking movie, but it was more a dark personal story set on a backdrop of hiking.
    It is what it is.

Images

I was expecting a hiking movie, but it was more a dark personal story set on a backdrop of hiking.

yeah....

i had read the book-----but had seen/heard some reviews about it and knew what i was getting myself into before
    turning the pages....

i dont have any intention on watching movie------same with the walk in the woods movie.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

i dont have any intention on watching movie------same with the walk in the woods movie.....
    You aren't really missing anything....JMO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    You aren't really missing anything....JMO

that's why i havent watched it.....

and for that book-----i made it only about 20 ish pages in before i ditched it....

i liked bryson's other books but this one was not doing it for me...

and really havent read him since...

Journal Entries
    Images

I saw the movie when It was on HBO same with a walk in the woods...Your better off watching youtube... then a hollywierd production of hiking..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Next up, "Zombies of the Appalachian Trail".

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Next up, "Zombies of the Appalachian Trail".
    About a bunch of hikers ending up building a compound around a big hostel to live out the "zombie Apocalypse " .........

Read Cheryl's book and saw the movie. Just as with a 'Walk In The Woods.' 'Wild' is about a young woman finding herself navigating life's challenges within a setting of backpacking. It is about personal triumph and gaining closure transitioning to a new phase in her life. It is best approached from that perspective rather than picking it apart based backpacking differences. Same with 'Becoming Odyssa' which most of my tweener and early teen nieces enjoyed along with 'Wild' even though they don't or rarely hike. Basing books and movies loosely around factual accounts of woman navigating life becoming stronger having a measure of success is needed! Both Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern received Oscar nominations for Wild.

I think Robert Redford should have been cast as Cheryl
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    that's why i havent watched it.....

and for that book-----i made it only about 20 ish pages in before i ditched it....

i liked bryson's other books but this one was not doing it for me...

and really havent read him since...
    I had pretty much of the same reaction to Bryson's book, however I did read more of his writings to try to understand where he is coming from. Just served to re-enforce my initial thoughts of his writings and outlooks on certain groups of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    I think Robert Redford should have been cast as Cheryl

Oh, and Nick Nolte could have played the backpack.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Read both books and saw both movies. The books are, IMO, small masterpieces, each in its own way. As for the movies, it is more complicated. While "Wild" remains loyal to the narrative and spirit of the book, the "Walk in the Woods" movie takes great liberties with the storyline. Did not like it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    Oh, and Nick Nolte could have played the backpack.
    Now thats funny I don't care who you are.
    But I think they've already done this movie initials B.B.M..

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Paid the small rental fee on Amazon Prime a couple weeks ago to watch it since it was a slow day. I only made it about halfway through and just couldn't watch any more. I was expecting a hiking movie, but it was more a dark personal story set on a backdrop of hiking.
    I made it to the end of the movie based on the Witherspoon inertia.I'm all for personal triumph movies etc but found the whole thing to be pretty depressing.......

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    On the other hand I suspect most movie goers would say " I was expecting a story about a woman confronting personal issues with a back drop of hiking and instead all it was about was hiking." I watched the whole thing and agree with you, I wasn't impressed.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Some panned the Grapes of Wrath thinking it would be a buddy road trip movie.

Well said!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Of Mice and Men is the buddy road trip movie.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

I read the book "Wild" and found it an amazing piece of work, actually about the best books about hiking in the US I ever read. A perfect mix of personal drama, hiking experience and catharsis.
    Watched the film later and found it to be quite a reasonable good film, but then I didn't expect much from a film with regards to hiking - so I wasn't too disappointed by the numerous glitches and issues when it came down to the task of hiking.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++