I just saw "Wild" last night and very much enjoyed it. I thought it captured and portrayed the hiking experience very well and told an interesting and compelling hiker's unique story. Personally, as one who is motivated by the beauty of the outdoors and who feels drawn to this trail for its beauty, I'd have loved a few more shots portraying that beauty. But the filmmakers' purposes probably were 1) to tell Cheryl Strayed's inner story, to convey the hike from her perspective, and 2) not to make a long distance hike look too attractive, as the AT, PCT and other trails have been getting a bit crowded in recent years.

What do you think? Any favorite moments or themes? I loved how Reese Witherspoon, as Cheryl, starts out clearly very determined and, to her relatively ignorant level of understanding, super-prepared but due to her ignorance actually poorly prepared in many respects. That is such a common theme with through hikers. The film lets the experienced hiker/viewer discern much about Cheryl's mental state and strength of mind based on how she goes about her hike, even the manner of her gait. Very well done in that respect.