Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    Not impressed, to much energy wasted on portraying her as a ****. Not enough landscape shots. Very little trail community scenes.
    Toon,

As you said, the movie would have been better if it had more landscape. I was a disappointed too there wasn't more landscape of the trail - were she ended her trip was right by one of the best parts of the trail and they show nothing of the trail. The trail community back in 1995 was not the same as it is today. When I did the trail in 1993, there were a total of 17 thru-hikers who finished (I was the last one to finish that year).

Wolf

I was disappointed, use the natural beauty to draw people in. Not the trashy sex scenes. I understand they were a good part of the book but it could have been done much better. I don't remember any Arial or drone shots. I was expecting some good timelapse work, maybe some speeded up trail walking. Fail in the photography department

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    The biggest factual inaccuracy in the entire movie is that two of those guys take off SPRINTING after each other when they're goofing around in camp. That simply does not happen in real life, especially not 2,000 miles into the hike when the only thing your body remembers how to do is walk. To paraphrase the Geto Boys, real thru-hikers don't run for s***, 'cause real thru-hikers can't run fast.
    lol Ah.... I didn't even catch that one! But you are right on that!!! Now way in hell anyone is running anywhere.

I saw it over the weekend and quite enjoyed it. I thought the acting was great, the cinematography was great, and the story was good. I also think it captured the misery and joy that is hiking. All in all, I'd like to watch it again.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Just saw the movie last night, enjoyed it, I thought it gave a good impression of solo hiking. Interesting to see it from female POV. I didn't read the book, but I had no problem understanding the flashbacks.

I've never been on the PCT, but it sure looks more varied in terrain & climate than the AT

I have two questions; how much did REI pay for the best positive placement I've ever seen in a movie?

Did Cheryl really begin her hike without figuring how to setting up her tent or figuring out the correct fuel for the stove!?

Due to it's glowing reviews, I've decided to wait for it to show up on a after school special. I'm usually pretty open mined about theater, preferring to form my own opinion, and being unbias about subject matter, and giving artistic lic. liberally, but I pretty sure the body got this one right.

My wife and I liked the movie, and it did get us hiking again.

I personally saw this as an *addiction* movie. Transformation can be quicker and more profound for an addict separated from their life than you might expect, which is why a month in rehab often works. It's the separation more than the talking. I saw the flashbacks as the first time she even let herself remember those scenes ... an opportunity given her by the long stretches of silence on the trail. An addict does everything possible to avoid remembering such scenes ... allowing yourself to think things through in a safe place helps diffuse the time bombs.

Anyway, any discussion on this movie has to include addiction ... it's central to situation and resolve.

Rented this movie at RedBox this past weekend- $1.50 and 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    ...I didn't read the book...
    ...how much did REI pay for the best positive placement I've ever seen in a movie?...
    Read the book. The boots were one of her major issues and there was a whole sub-story about them the movie glossed over.
    Simply put, she bought her boots from REI, and when they turned out to be the wrong size, she took advantage of REI's guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Rented this movie at RedBox this past weekend- $1.50 and 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.
    That pretty much summarizes my take on it too.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Due to it's glowing reviews, I've decided to wait for it to show up on a after school special. I'm usually pretty open mined about theater, preferring to form my own opinion, and being unbias about subject matter, and giving artistic lic. liberally, but I pretty sure the body got this one right.
    If it is shown as an after school special they will need to cut at least a half hour, if not more out of it.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    If it is shown as an after school special they will need to cut at least a half hour, if not more out of it.
    Perhaps I outta rethink this

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

as said previously...as the book was joke of an excuses upon excuses for the mistakes made in her life, some of which we can relate to and haven't made the same excuses.....we wont be seeing the movie.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Excellent response. Thanks for the morning laugh.

A friend asked me if I wanted to see it and I replied "Let's see American sniper instead. I'd rather watch a story about a hero than one that glorifies an immoral heroin addict".

Journal Entries

Yall are harsh for a movie that finished 2014 in 83rd place amongst money makers, among dozens of movies that , at least I, have never heard of.

wild.png

Tried to watch it but it was hard, fast forwarded through the city scenes to ease the pain, I kept seeing legally blonde, finally turned it off, IMO, they could not have done a worse job of casting, unrealistic, who would go on a hike without reading the directions to a stove and tent...give me a break!

Journal Entries
    Images

I liked it. Made me think that a woman's experience on the trail is different, too.

Okay. Just rented it. I feel left out. Time to flush 2 hours.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    ...... who would go on a hike without reading the directions to a stove and tent...give me a break!
    Actually, quite a few people unfortunately.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++