Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I will throw in a link to my thoughts...in short I was not impressed.

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/night-movies-wild/

I liked the movie. Sure it could have been better but I enjoyed it. I do believe some of the humor in it many non-long distance hikers would not get. For example when Cheryl was trying out lipstick, a woman politely told her, no matter how much lipstick she applied it would not help if she did not keep up her personal hygiene. The movie really did not help the audience understand, hikers stink out there.
    The movie does touch on the different between hiking as single women compare to being a single guy. For example, Cheryl experience as she caught the ranger right when he was closing up shop. I think every guy was shaking his head yep that the way things often plays out as the ranger walked right past three male hikers and handed Cheryl a nice hot cup of coffee.
    On the other side, it also point out some of the crap/fears a single female hiker might experience. For example, Cheryl ran into the two male hunters. I like to believe the trails are normal pretty safe but still, there are those that don’t always do the right thing. Sad but true.
    The movie also reminded me of life when I first started hiking carrying a “Monster” of a pack and not having to dealing with cell phones everywhere. Part of me also misses that new feeling of doing things. Sometimes it is nice seeing things in the eyes of someone just starting out. It different for many of us that been doing this for a while.

Wolf

Images

I'm over 1/3 of the way through the book. I think it's really well written. From this reading, I'd say the movie plays up perhaps too much Cheryl's inexperience - she had hiked a lot and researched a lot, though she hadn't backpacked a lick. Her unpreparedness was not for lack of trying.

Also, at least so far in the book, she does not read as being so acutely angry and frustrated as the movie portrays her. This could be because she wrote the book so much later, from a more mature, happier, calmer perspective, and the movie is accurate. I'm reserving judgment for the time being. I'm enjoying the book more than the film, but both are good, I'd say.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

I like when the activity of backpacking pops it's head up into the mainstream for a bit. I get the chance to say, "See, I'm not the only one who likes/needs to ramble off into the woods alone"...lol

I have to admit, I find Reese Witherspoon much more attractive as a strong, independent long distance hiker then the "Legally Blonde" girl.

I think Cheryl Strayed is a good writer also. She tapped into that "zone" or feeling (or whatever you want to call it) that all hikers experience, that place that keeps us going back to the trails.

One paragraph from the book that stands out for me,

"stepping into the snow made me more alive to my senses than ever. Uncertain as I was as I pushed forward, I felt right in my pushing, as if the effort meant something.

That perhaps being amidst the undesecrated beauty of the wilderness meant I too could be undesecrated, regardless of what I'd lost or what had been taken from me, regardless of the regrettable things I'd done to others or myself or the regrettable things that had been done to me.

Of all the things I'd been skeptical about, I didn't feel skeptical about this: the wilderness had a clarity that included me."
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Meh...
    I rarely see anything in the theaters because I am cheap. But my wife and I went to a $5 matinee.

As a backpacker- it was fine, and not really about backpacking but with enough authenticity to not scream at the screen. As a non-PCT person- I was disappointed not to see more of the trail. But it's a good movie and I like disjointed storytelling like that. I would have liked it better if I waited for Redbox, I kinda wish I saw the Hobbit instead.

From my (mostly camping and not big on backpacking) wife- She likes Reese (It's her celebrity look alike) and thought the acting was great. She likes stories about women, especially strong women doing things to improve their life. It didn't really do anything one way or the other for her in terms of wanting to hike. But she was happy to see it.

Takeaway-
    I don't think any backpackers have anything to fear. It's still a relatively small movie, most will be excited they got to see Reeces Pieces more than they will be excited about the trail. At best, my wife may be looking forward to camping more this summer. But she was looking forward to that anyway now that she's not pregnant and/or dealing with a newborn.

What could be awesome- Women may find inspiration from this film/story. Women (and men) need more stories like this. The woods need more women. Women make most political and financial choices in households. All trails would greatly benefit from an increase in Women.

If there is any "teaming mass" headed to the PCT, it will likely be female. And that would make this the best film I have ever seen.

Does she throw her boot in the movie?

Yes, she throws her boot.

Images

OK, the Oscar nominations are in...

Wild received a 'Best Actress' nomination for Reese and a best supporting actress nomination to Laura Dern. Looking at the competition it is doubtful this picture will win an award. Still, the nominations should give it some additional buzz.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Yes, she throws her boot.
    OMG!!! YOU HAVE TO ****SPOILER ALERT****** THAT!

Just kidding
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

Reece is hot, the movie is not.

I just kept laughing about the gear. I lived that hiking life with the big heavy gear. Her first day hiking reminded me and my husband of our first hike. LOL. Running out of water. Yep, done that. big ass sleeping bags and tents and all that shiny new equipment. LOL.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1976 View Post
    Does she throw her boot in the movie?
    She throws her boot but, unless I missed something the reason for throwing it was different in the movie. They portrayed it like she was having a break down and never showed her other boot falling off the rocks beforehand. Weird.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    She throws her boot but, unless I missed something the reason for throwing it was different in the movie. They portrayed it like she was having a break down and never showed her other boot falling off the rocks beforehand. Weird.
    Treehugger, watch it again. They showed the other boot falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Treehugger, watch it again. They showed the other boot falling off.
    IIRC, the movie opens with one boot falling off. Later, once the movie doubles back to that point, she throws the other.
    --

Hike Safe.

Reeses breast pieces, a Grateful Dead song, a cute little creepy kid, and a fox. I enjoyed the movie.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    IIRC, the movie opens with one boot falling off. Later, once the movie doubles back to that point, she throws the other.
    Bingo. The movie opens as does the prologue of the book - with the loss of Boot 1.

I finished the book and went to rewatch the movie Thursday. I enjoyed the movie even more having read the book. I think they did a good job of squeezing absolutely as much as they could of the book into the movie's two hours. It is a shame, though, that they don't portray the boot loss as it actually happened, when her replacement boots were on the way.

One hiker question about Cheryl's experience with the boots: she continued to have foot trouble even after getting the new boots. Diagnosis? Boots and she, even properly sized, not a good match? Or were her feet so beaten up after 400+ miles pinched in the too-small size that this caused her trouble for the rest of the hike?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

That explains it, I was about 5 mins late for the start of the movie. Thanks guys!

Finally got to watch it this weekend. It wasn't as good as the book - I think they left out some really good parts. But they made Cheryl more likable I think. I HATED her in the book and they kind of just glossed over some of the stuff with her ex husband and all that. But as far as the backpacking portions of the movie I think they did a pretty good job. They certainly didn't glamorize it or make it seem easy or anything - the bruises on her back/hips for example. And I think they nailed the other backpackers and other people in the movie. I mean who hasn't seen that exact group of 3 guys out on the trail that she camped with? Overall it was good movie. I think its about as mainstream as a backpacking movie could be - no one (besides all of us) is going to watch 2 hours of someone just backpacking so they have to mix in the other stuff - and I enjoyed it.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by DandT40 View Post
    And I think they nailed the other backpackers and other people in the movie. I mean who hasn't seen that exact group of 3 guys out on the trail that she camped with?
    The biggest factual inaccuracy in the entire movie is that two of those guys take off SPRINTING after each other when they're goofing around in camp. That simply does not happen in real life, especially not 2,000 miles into the hike when the only thing your body remembers how to do is walk. To paraphrase the Geto Boys, real thru-hikers don't run for s***, 'cause real thru-hikers can't run fast.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Not impressed, to much energy wasted on portraying her as a ****. Not enough landscape shots. Very little trail community scenes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++