WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

LOLOLOL.....sounds like the flip-flop bubble may be as big as the normal nobo bubble!. Fact is, there are a lot of hikers that want to thru hike the AT. Don't blame such lame excuses as the movie WILD. I saw nothing in the movie that would make someone want to hike the AT. There are simply more people who want to spend a chunk of time in the outdoors and an AT thru hike fits into that idea quite easily w/o much commitment.

I'll save the AT by hiking the PCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake27 View Post
    I already saved the AT a hundred times over by backpacking in Cohutta and Big Frog and Citico and Bald River and Slickrock Creek and Lewis Fork and Harper Creek and Upper Creek and Linville Gorge and Lost Cove Creek and the Pinoti.

It's good to see the number of people here willing to do their part, by default or otherwise.

I'm still up in the air on my choice. A flip is certainly becoming more attractive in the face of the ongoing debate.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I'll head for Springer mid April and then decide if I want to be adventurous and do the BMT or stick to the AT depending on conditions at the time. Since I've done the AT through GA/NC nearly half a dozen times now, I suppose I should try the alternative route for a change of scenery.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jake27 View Post
    That is an alternative idea. Here is another (not directed at you Jake27 given your location). If folks want to help preserve the AT and they live near the AT.... Join a trail maintaining club, step away from the keyboard, grab a pulaski, mccleod, saw, pruning shears, swing blade or shovel, pack along some trash bags and get out and do your part. A little volunteerism can go a long way. And a day of maintaining beats the h3ll out of a day of cyber complaining any day.

Thank you for all you do to all the maintainers out there.

Furlough

P.S. Yes I am a trail maintainer for PATC - The Flying McLeods in South SNP and work with the ACME Treadway Company when I can.
    Last edited by Furlough; 12-26-2014 at 12:49.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Just start at the southern park border and hike to Springer. The extra few miles means nothing in the larger picture, hike the approach trail to Amicalola Falls SP to make up the distance if you must. You will still hike Maine to Georga, and avoid all the hassle and not contribute to the devastation (manufactured to my mind) to Katadin.

The idea of crowds is actually what caused me to change from NOBO to SOBO. Not that I want to be alone or anti social, just the idea of packed trails and full shelters stressed me out.
    I figure I'll get to see fall instead of spring.

I wish flip flopping were an option at this point, but now that my boss is pregnant and I have to cover for her maternity leave, I'm stuck.

Doing the same, starting at Mohican Outdoor ctr, Blairstown, NJ Apr 7th. Also doing a "warm up" hike from Bear Mtn to Mohican Mar 23, should take 8 days. Your welcome to come to see how this works.

Images

I'm hiking south from Harpers Ferry to Springer starting around June 1st. I might do a flip if my funds/spirit holds. This was always my plan because of the convenience of Amtrak stopping in my town and HF. Plus, it will feel like I'm walking home. I'm trying to have as "green" of a hike as possible though--I'm actually working on a blog documenting my efforts to be an eco-friendly tourist."

I'm looking forward to meeting the NOBO bubble.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Journal Entries

I can only speak for myself, but I will be at the end? very tail? of the NOBO bubble since I will be starting from GA on May 1st. Does anyone happen to know if this date will still be flush with hikers, or will it be more of a solitary hike?

Just re-read this thread. Thank you Danger Dave, Carbo, and all the rest of you who were willing to change your plans and adjust your dreams for the good of the A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Just re-read this thread. Thank you Danger Dave, Carbo, and all the rest of you who were willing to change your plans and adjust your dreams for the good of the A.T.
    Did you nominate them to the Hall of Fame yet, or do they have to actually finish 2,000 miles?

Did they get their pics taken at headquarters for starting a hike or do they do that when the >20% of them return to Harpers Ferry?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Did you nominate them to the Hall of Fame yet, or do they have to actually finish 2,000 miles?

Did they get their pics taken at headquarters for starting a hike or do they do that when the >20% of them return to Harpers Ferry?
    What's up with this?

Images

The times they are a changing... How long before Alaska is no longer the last frontier? 220,000 new human beings on planet earth a day. On many parts of the AT, if you listen hard, the buzz of lawn mowers are not too far away.

Thunder

due to my idea for my hike and the timing I cant start anywhere but in the bubble, however I plan on starting with 20m days so hopefully ill spring ahead of it quickly
    Last edited by salsi; 05-10-2015 at 01:25.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++