WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I am a Liar.

I'll be your #2
    look forward to the read, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bendback View Post
    I'll be your #2
    look forward to the read, thanks
    WHOO- First post too

You'll remember this moment for the rest of your life!

Or at least until something more memorable happens.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 02-14-2015 at 21:44.

I'm confused by all the lies.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

I'm your huckleberry.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This may sound odd, but I don't need a free copy. When I finally get time to do so, I will be getting the kindle edition and reading it on the trail, just like I did with your Long trail writeup a while back.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Oooo. Can I be #3??? Every post of yours that I have read makes me smile and /or laugh and that may come in handy on my thru-hike this year.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I already bought the book, so no need to send me another!

But here's a review, in the grand tradition of "better late than never:" Tall Tales Under Tall Trees.

If you like it, think of it as partial and inadequate repayment for the loan of a spoon back in January! I seem to forget something critical for a hike about once a year. It's embarrassing. It makes me look like a clueless weekender. But, on skimming through the book again to write the review, I realized that the loan of the spoon makes me a small part of the grand chain of trail magic you describe. The first travelogue in the book, your minimalist trek through the Hundred-Mile Wilderness, is bookended by borrowing and returning a spoon from Keith Shaw. I now know I've eaten my chicken and dumplings with Sai Shaw's spoon, in spirit if not in fact. I'm sure that I can manage to spin that into a better lie if I have a mind to. And I'm betting - the World being as strange as it is - that the day will come when I will lend a spoon to someone in need of one, and the tale will continue to grow in the telling.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I already bought the book, so no need to send me another!

But here's a review, in the grand tradition of "better late than never:" Tall Tales Under Tall Trees.

If you like it, think of it as partial and inadequate repayment for the loan of a spoon back in January! I seem to forget something critical for a hike about once a year. It's embarrassing. It makes me look like a clueless weekender. But, on skimming through the book again to write the review, I realized that the loan of the spoon makes me a small part of the grand chain of trail magic you describe. The first travelogue in the book, your minimalist trek through the Hundred-Mile Wilderness, is bookended by borrowing and returning a spoon from Keith Shaw. I now know I've eaten my chicken and dumplings with Sai Shaw's spoon, in spirit if not in fact. I'm sure that I can manage to spin that into a better lie if I have a mind to. And I'm betting - the World being as strange as it is - that the day will come when I will lend a spoon to someone in need of one, and the tale will continue to grow in the telling.
    ......Ayuh

Thus far-
    WB give-a-way

1-Old Hiker

2-Kayak Karl

3-Bendback

4-RHJanes

5-Tuckahoe

6-2015 Lady Thru-hiker

Not sure how the sneaky Sinterklass snuck in there, but he clearly slipped his yak into the harbor there.
    I'll save a spot for Deacon if'n he wants it and take a few backups too just in case.

But a few slots left fer a bit.

Journal Entries

I just asked my library to buy a copy to share with the uninitiated folks of my town, but I'd be interested in skipping the amazon middle man and buying a copy direct from the source next time I'm in Chicago if it's possible. I'll be flying out from there to start my thru in April, but should be there once or twice before then to visit family.

Put me in the mix. Is it for sale on Amazon? Would love to read. Thanks

Images

You know it will always be a love/hate relationship. you just need to accept it
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Posted on the wrong thread. Anyway, if you add me to your list, I'll make a donation to the ATC. Win-win, right?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Not sure how the sneaky Sinterklass snuck in there, but he clearly slipped his yak into the harbor there.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's a compliment, an insult, or just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    You know it will always be a love/hate relationship. you just need to accept it
    Seriously, are you a computer guy- woulda sworn that your post wasn't there last night, got Bendback to back me up as he thought he was clearly in the two spot. Check in this morning and bam- there you are, lol.

And yar-IMG_2451.jpg

My old canoe keeps my firewood dry. My new (20 year old) canoe stays in the garage.
    The kayak serves as low income housing for a squirrel family this time of year.

Guess you can tell which I like more...

But no reason not feel a little love for the kayak too.

Quote Originally Posted by gillian View Post
    I just asked my library to buy a copy to share with the uninitiated folks of my town, but I'd be interested in skipping the amazon middle man and buying a copy direct from the source next time I'm in Chicago if it's possible. I'll be flying out from there to start my thru in April, but should be there once or twice before then to visit family.
    I'm not sure if you can...
    Officially- The book is available to library buyers through Baker and Taylor distribution and the ISBN-13 # is 978-1503193871.
    I think they are legally supposed to obtain books this way- kinda like a video store has to have a special copy of a DVD (non-retail) for rental.

Un-Officially- As far as I know if you donate a book to a library they can put it on the shelf. Course I don't think the library police are likely to get involved, but if you wanted to donate a book to a library I can get one for you at cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's a compliment, an insult, or just an observation.
    Your last post was too sincerely kind- glad to see you're back on track.

Awesome! Going to check it out!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Your last post was too sincerely kind- glad to see you're back on track.
    Always happy to help. Sorry I missed meeting you on the Harriman trip. I try to go every year but I was on the other side of the country.

PM's sent-
    WB give-a-way
    1-Old Hiker
    2-Kayak Karl
    3-Bendback
    4-RHJanes
    5-Tuckahoe
    6-2015 Lady Thru-hiker
    7-Deacon
    8-Grumps
    9-Tprunty8
    10-Sailing Faith

The link to my book is in my signature- or just search for Lying on the trail on Amazon an it'll pop up.

It might even be on the first page- and if you missed it- Kevin's review is pretty durn nice and helpful-
    http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2015/0...-on-trail.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++