WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hi Jolham, I'm a fellow Brit should be flying out around the 6th July for an immediate start Southbound. Gonna be moving fast but shouid be able to catch up for a few days. Walkie-Talkie (PCT class of 2013).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jolham View Post
    Hello ladies and gentlemen , I'm looking to start the trail in July 2015. I am currently residing in London but will be flying over nearer the time to catch up with friends and acclimatise to the USAs fine food - (I will be bringing British chocolate with me however).
    The idea of doing this alone is slightly daunting but not impractical as I have done various long distance hikes before. Is anyone else is planing to start the trail south bound around this time as it would be nice to start the long journey with someone else .

H
    Hi fellow Brit(transplanted Floridian here)..
    chocolate is good but what about the Marmite? In a plastic jar to save weight.
    Also, don't forget the tea, Yankee tee sucks!
    And of course a ill' Colmans is always welcome....though a luxury item.

I'm thinking of starting SOBO from mid-late July! Probably the 19th or thereabouts - anxious about the 100 mile wilderness but it seems like there's going to be a few others about which is reassuring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrossy View Post
    I'm thinking of starting SOBO from mid-late July! Probably the 19th or thereabouts - anxious about the 100 mile wilderness but it seems like there's going to be a few others about which is reassuring!
    There is no need to be anxious about the 100 Mile Wilderness. It is gorgeous and an amazing section of trail! As long as you take your time and listen to your body (seriously - stop when your body tells you to stop. You are just starting your journey and have a long way to go!) and use common sense and you will be fine. You will come across plenty of people (thru hikers, section hikers) during those 100 miles. The trail is clearly defined.

Have a wonderful hike! Be sure to look around you and take in the sights! Oh, and to White Blaze!

Thank you so much! I'm definitely feeling a lot of excitement too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    There is no need to be anxious about the 100 Mile Wilderness. It is gorgeous and an amazing section of trail! As long as you take your time and listen to your body (seriously - stop when your body tells you to stop. You are just starting your journey and have a long way to go!) and use common sense and you will be fine. You will come across plenty of people (thru hikers, section hikers) during those 100 miles. The trail is clearly defined.

Have a wonderful hike! Be sure to look around you and take in the sights! Oh, and to White Blaze!
    Love this. Helped calm my anxiousness a bit too!

Starting my Sobo on July 24th, anyone else starting then?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrossy View Post
    Thank you so much! I'm definitely feeling a lot of excitement too!!
    Awesome! It's a gorgeous stretch of trail! Anything can seem daunting when you look at the whole, big picture. Sometimes it helps to look at a smaller piece of the puzzle. Can the 100 Mile Wilderness be difficult? Absolutely! But, so can trying to cross a busy road during rush hour. It is all about the perspective you choose. Set the smaller goals for yourself and they will add up! Or, if it helps... When the trail gets tough, just think to yourself, "I could be stuck in an office/classroom right now."

Just be sure to bring the Deet and the head net and life will be good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++