WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm starting 1st week of July!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I'm going SOBO...but not until September..
    Dang man. Respect. I left Aug 21 a few years ago and dealt with snow and ice the whole way. Can't imagine leaving any later but if winter's your thing, you'll have a great time! Best of luck to you!

Images

RiffRaffSam and other SoBo's, please call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket - I can help with getting you to the trail, food drops in the 100 mile wilderness, last minute gear needs, etc.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
    I'm planning to start the 3rd week of July. It's good to see that others have similar plans! I'm sure we'll all bump into each other at some point!
    Maybe I'll see you out there Tom V. I'm planning on starting the 3rd week of July too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a 68 year old female hiker, and I will be summitting Katahdin on 01Jul, and starting my SoBo 02Jul. Perhaps I will see you out there.
    TicTac

Hi All,

I am planning on beginning in July as well, most likely mid month. I do not feel confident/ comfortable enough to begin my SOBO hike solo through the 100 miles due to all I've read warning how difficult it is to start in the North. I'd either like to hike with someone through most of the Maine portion, or am alternatively thinking of starting in northern VA and hiking north and then flip-flopping to finish. Any advice or recommendations are welcome!
    Thanks and good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Hi All,

I am planning on beginning in July as well, most likely mid month. I do not feel confident/ comfortable enough to begin my SOBO hike solo through the 100 miles due to all I've read warning how difficult it is to start in the North. I'd either like to hike with someone through most of the Maine portion, or am alternatively thinking of starting in northern VA and hiking north and then flip-flopping to finish. Any advice or recommendations are welcome!
    Thanks and good luck to all!
    Taylor,
    I'm hiking Katahdin on 16July and starting the 100 mile wilderness on the 17th. I am also apprehensive about the 100 mile wilderness. If you are leaving approx the same time, I would be happy to hike the 100 miles with you.

Quote Originally Posted by namaste7 View Post
    Taylor,
    I'm hiking Katahdin on 16July and starting the 100 mile wilderness on the 17th. I am also apprehensive about the 100 mile wilderness. If you are leaving approx the same time, I would be happy to hike the 100 miles with you.
    Hi Namaste,
    I like the idea of Floridians sticking together! I was hoping to start a little earlier around the 10th or so but am open to talking about it more! I am still in the research phase and trying to buy all of my equipment. While I consider myself physically fit and have some long distance hiking experience, I'll admit I don't know the first thing about tying my food up in a tree...
    I'd love to talk further about your plans, equipment and packing list etc. I can PM you my number. I'm not sure how much you've already acquired but I am going to plan a day trip to the REI store in Jacksonville either next week or late in June when I get back from a trip.
    Thanks and hope to talk soon!

Hi Namaste,
    I like the idea of Floridians sticking together! I was hoping to start a little earlier around the 10th or so but am open to talking about it more! I am still in the research phase and trying to buy all of my equipment. While I consider myself physically fit and have some long distance hiking experience, I'll admit I don't know the first thing about tying my food up in a tree...
    I'd love to talk further about your plans, equipment and packing list etc. I can PM you my number. I'm not sure how much you've already acquired but I am going to plan a day trip to the REI store in Jacksonville either next week or late in June when I get back from a trip.
    Thanks and hope to talk soon!
    If your driving all the way to Jax....go to black creek outfitters down the street from rei...much more knowledgeable staff...they are directly across street from Costco behind bono's bbq....good place to eat also...I love rei but most bco staff actually use the gear they sell...check out both stores....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the tip Salty, I definitely will stop in! I'm wondering if I can't find reputable sources closer to where I am. We have a Bill Jackson's but prices are crazy, there's also a large Bass Pro not too far but the staff knowledge base is very different. However, I know getting the right gear is essential so I don't mind making a day trip to consult with people who really know what they are talking about. Thanks again for sharing.

Thank you for the tip Salty, I definitely will stop in! I'm wondering if I can't find reputable sources closer to where I am. We have a Bill Jackson's but prices are crazy, there's also a large Bass Pro not too far but the staff knowledge base is very different. However, I know getting the right gear is essential so I don't mind making a day trip to consult with people who really know what they are talking about. Thanks again for sharing.
    I would highly rec going to an outfitter that mainly deals with hikers.....I would also consider heading up to mountain crossings in Ga or outdoor 76..you could buy and try immediately ...these folks know the AT as many are past thru hikers...don't go to bass pro as they will sell u heavy crap u don't need! Less is better. Knowing what I know now I would get most of my gear offline mainly from cottage gear companies..esp the big 4...just my $ .02.
    Just to name a few that come to mind..

Pack companies
    Ula has an amazing support and products.
    Zpacks
    Gossamer gear

Shelter
    Lightheart gear
    Zpacks
    Mld
    Many more.....

Bag/quilt
    Western mountaineering
    JRB quilts
    Enlightened equipment

Sleep pad
    Neoair is tough to beat for wt and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah THANK YOU! I've been compiling a gear list from everything from clothing, to stoves, to footwear and everything in between. It has been a daunting task but exciting. I very much appreciate your input and brand guide. I actually found an outdoor store in Tampa that is smaller but seems to be very good, and one of their sales associates has hiked the AT so I am going to touch base with her as well.

Thanks again, you rock!

Quote Originally Posted by snowpiercer View Post
    I'm starting 1st week of July!
    Do you have a definitive start date yet? I also want to begin early July but haven't finalized dates yet.

July 1 for me! lets go SOBO's!!!

Hello! I'm also planning on Starting early July! Do you have a start date? I'm hoping for a buddy for at least three 100 mile wilderness/maybe to summit Katahdin with. I've done some of the southern part of the trail already this year, but life made a NOBO hike for me impossible, so I'm going to flip. Looking for people to hike with! Super glad that other people are starting around the same time =] Feel free to private message!

-Marietta
    "I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am." - Sylvia Plath

Quote Originally Posted by alegria7 View Post
    Hello! I'm also planning on Starting early July! Do you have a start date? I'm hoping for a buddy for at least three 100 mile wilderness/maybe to summit Katahdin with. I've done some of the southern part of the trail already this year, but life made a NOBO hike for me impossible, so I'm going to flip. Looking for people to hike with! Super glad that other people are starting around the same time =] Feel free to private message!

-Marietta
    Wow, identical situation for me, identical follow up plan.

Starting my SOBO early July. I live in Bangor, ME if that helps with your planning and interest in hiking together for the first bit of the trail!

Hey guys! Wow, looks like everybody's got their own individual method of proceeding, and I guess that makes the most sense as we all have different levels of abilities/time frames/preferences.

Speaking of Florida, I'll be heading out to the mid-way point at Harpers Ferry on July 1 and leaving there the 5th for Springer. From there, I'll be heading southeast to Pensacola and continuing on the Florida Trail down to the Everglades! Hoo-yah! Hahaha. Anyway, looking for a hiking partner to at the least start off with from WV on the 5th, so if anyone is interested, hit me up at vtruebelieverv at yahoo, and we'll chat about it!

Happy Motorin' ya'll!

Fyre

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Wow, identical situation for me, identical follow up plan.

Starting my SOBO early July. I live in Bangor, ME if that helps with your planning and interest in hiking together for the first bit of the trail!
    So sorry! I just saw this! Unfortunately the prognosis for my obnoxious knee is a month of strength training. Which lands me starting back up in mid July. I'm not super happy about that, but there's only so much I can do =( I'm hoping there will still be people starting then! Extra stressed now.
    "I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but please, don't ask me who I am." - Sylvia Plath

Images

There will be people starting then.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I've finalized dates and will be summiting Katahdin on July 2nd and heading south on the 3rd. Hope to see people out there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++