WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NJ section

Default NJ section

Hey all,
    A buddy of mine, as well as myself, plan on hiking the NJ section over a span of 7 days this coming summer and just wanted advice on a couple of things.
    1. Where would be the best place to send a food drop, since the total mileage is about 72 miles?
    2. How should I prepare for the water quality/ how much water should I carry? I plan on using sawyer mini, and carrying about 2-3L, and I plan on cooking with a lot of water.
    3. Any other advice specific to New Jersey? Is 7 days reasonable for this hike?

Journal Entries

AMC Mohican center, Branchville, High Point, Unionville (NY), Vernon. With only 72 miles, you should be able to load up in DWG and then again in Branchville and that should do it. The NJ portion of the AT isn't real hard. Also, you can eat at various restaurants and deli's at any of the listed locations.
    Treat all water. 2-3L of water should be okay if you both carry that much. Availability will depend on the weather and what part of the summer you're hiking. There are ponds along the way.
    7 days should make for a fairly easy hike as long as you don't push in the beginning. You're young. Have a great hike.
    Last edited by sfdoc; 12-11-2014 at 10:17.

I would say consider getting the ATC NY-NJ trail guide. I have the 2007 edition and it says that the High Point State Park will hold packages for hikers. High Point is about the mid-point so if you are doing one mail drop that would appear to be a good choice assuming they still do so. I don't recall there being any long sections without a water source, if you get the guidebook you can have more exact information. I think 7 days is absolutely reasonable, you'll probably be able to do it in less if you like. I love the AT in NJ, some nice views and the "boardwalks" are interesting too. I would encourage you to take the short but steep side trail up to the High Point monument. Have a great time and report back how it goes!

Journal Entries

On our SOBO section hike through NJ earlier this year, we resupplied at a small grocery in Unionville. The store (which didn't have great supplies, btw) and a post office across the street were only 0.7 off the AT. From what I could learn in advance, this was the closest resupply to the trail. According to my guidebook, even the High Point State Park facilities are further away.
    I can't be sure, but I think it was the Mashipacong Shelter where a very kind person hauls fresh water in 5-gallon containers for hikers to refill their bottles.
    The thing that surprised us about NJ was all the swamps. I had no idea they were there before planning this trip.
    We saw no bears, despite all the hype.

I did NJ last year, resupply in Unionville was fine, as Illabelle said not a great selection buy adequate, plus you can get Pizza at the restaurant next door yum. I went in June and water was no problem. Lots of places to stop and eat along the way.

Journal Entries

Just to point out the southern section of NJ is geologically similar to the northern section of PA - expect rocks, uneven, ankle twisting rocks for IIRC 20 miles Northern section is very flat and easy. If you want to built into it go SoBo if you want to get the hard stuff over first then NoBo.

Also 2-3 qts of water seem like a lot to carry to me, and not really needed (perhaps in the summer if it's dry). 1 pint or less should get you thru if you also pay attention to your guide book. Yes carry the ability to carry more but most of the time you will not need to carry that much. Sawyer squeeze would be fine for this.

Images

Be prepared for mosquitos!

I hope when he said only carry a pint the water he was mistaken with a quart of water. A pint of water is only one cup that is not enough water to hike with.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freightliner View Post
    I hope when he said only carry a pint the water he was mistaken with a quart of water. A pint of water is only one cup that is not enough water to hike with.
    No I meant a pint, which is actually 2 cups (not one) or 1/2 quart. And it is plenty to hike with for most of the AT if you pay attention to the guide book.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    No I meant a pint, which is actually 2 cups (not one) or 1/2 quart. And it is plenty to hike with for most of the AT if you pay attention to the guide book.
    You're kidding right? You might be able to get away with that if you thru hiking, had your trail legs, and spent the entire spring gaining experience and learning what your body needs, however that is terrible advice to give a beginner who is taking on a summer section. The average hiker is probably carrying 2-3 liters during the summer and for good reason.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-11-2014 at 20:48.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You're kidding right? You might be able to get away with that if you thru hiking, had your trail legs, and spent the entire spring gaining experience and learning what your body needs, however that is terrible advice to give a beginner who is taking on a summer section. The average hiker is probably carrying 2-3 liters during the summer and for good reason.

I usually find quite the opposite, so called 'hike leaders' demanding 2-3 qts of water for a hike that is along a mountain stream the entire time. LNT principal #1, plan ahead and prepare - know the water situation before you go in. In this case water is readily available and no reason to overburden the beginner hiker - shame on you

However in the dry season, again, LNT #1 plan ahead and prepare.

The question was "Where would be the best place to send a food drop" - so I'm reading that as Hopeful Hiker wants to send himself a mail drop not shop for food. If High Point HQ still holds packages for hikers and it's the building I'm thinking of (perhaps call and confirm?) I recommended that one because it's (a) closer to the half way point and (b) incredibly close to the trail - like literally the parking lot for the High Point HQ is right next to the trail as you cross Rt. 23. There are bathrooms and water there too. They have a trash can that has a sign that says it's only for long-distance hikers, day hikers please take your trash home with you (or words to that effect).

I would agree with TomN that Unionville Post Office is also close to the trail near where the AT crosses Lott road and would give that as my second choice. : )

Journal Entries

Suggestion do not send a drop box to the AMC Mohegan center. Bad experience by me and others.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I usually find quite the opposite, so called 'hike leaders' demanding 2-3 qts of water for a hike that is along a mountain stream the entire time. LNT principal #1, plan ahead and prepare - know the water situation before you go in. In this case water is readily available and no reason to overburden the beginner hiker - shame on you

However in the dry season, again, LNT #1 plan ahead and prepare.

This question has nothing to do with hike leaders or guided hikes along a mountain stream, please don't setup straw man arguments.

The question posed involved two hikers going through an area they haven't been through before in the summer. Suggesting that they only take a pint of water based on planning and some imaginary report of trail conditions is irresponsible.

Being prepared doesn't mean take the absolute minimum that you might get away with and hope that nothing goes wrong. It means actually being prepared to hike independently through an area, dealing with times that you might not make as far as you planned, get turned around, get exhausted, or find that the marked watersource is dry or isn't that you thought it was. So yeah, there are actual reasons that most hikers carry 2-3 liters of water in the summer.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I've heard the same thing that Starchild says about the AMC Mohegan center but I wouldn't discourage you from camping there as you are making your way up north from DWG. Might be a nice spot for your first night. You'll have access to a privy, your own picnic table, bear box, water if you would enjoy that type of place. If staying there is not your thing though you can continue north up the hill past AMC Mohegan center and I believe there are a couple of decent campsites just off the trail up on the ridge with a nice view.

If you are going to AMC Mohegan center and you are approaching from the south going north you'd want to check your guidebook as the dirt/gravel road that leads to the AMC Mohegan center is not marked. It's just after you cross over a tiny bridge over a stream though if my memory serves me correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    I've heard the same thing that Starchild says about the AMC Mohegan center but I wouldn't discourage you from camping there as you are making your way up north from DWG. Might be a nice spot for your first night. You'll have access to a privy, your own picnic table, bear box, water if you would enjoy that type of place. If staying there is not your thing though you can continue north up the hill past AMC Mohegan center and I believe there are a couple of decent campsites just off the trail up on the ridge with a nice view.

If you are going to AMC Mohegan center and you are approaching from the south going north you'd want to check your guidebook as the dirt/gravel road that leads to the AMC Mohegan center is not marked. It's just after you cross over a tiny bridge over a stream though if my memory serves me correctly.
    that is correct.

++ New Posts ++