WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default NJ/NY/CT/MA/VT in the late spring

Last year our AT NOBO quest ended at Highpoint NJ (~mile 1333), hoping to make it as far north as possible next late spring (and finish to Katadin in late Summer/early fall). I was wondering how the trail conditions were at that time. Our start date is very flexible, but my question for folks familiar with AT conditions in this section:

Would a very-late April start be reasonable in NJ/NY/CT/MA and maybe 360 miles later, call it 3+ weeks, heading into Vermont in mid-late May? We're willing to call it quits whenever/wherever VT gets bad (muddy or whatever), wherever that happens to be. My main (Maine?) question is the typical conditions in NY/CT/MA in late April or mid-May. I do not care about cold weather or moderate snow, only very muddy trail conditions & black flies, that kind of thing.

I of course realize that late-spring conditions can vary quite a lot, just asking about "typical" average trends.

Any info appreciated!

Images

Here is some good reading material related to VT in May.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

Years ago I did a couple of week long section hikes in late april in NY and CT. It was cold and wet some days but when the sun was out it quite pleasant. The trees weren't leafed out. The bummer with NE in the spring is that the weather patterns tend to shift over a 3 1/2 day pattern so usually its one day or two days of rain for every sunny day.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

That's just a terrible idea. Malto is spot on about mud season. But just as important, from early to Mid-May and through the end of your hike, you are never going to a moment's respite from the blackflies. I have never seen anything like the blackflies in May in Massachusetts Vermont--they swarm in ungodly numbers from dusk to dawn, and are hardly deterred by DEET or head netting (they love to climb into things, up your sleeves and pant legs, etc.). Spring is just a really bad time to be in New England.

Try fall--it's super nice.

Images

Thanks for the info so far. I wasn't clear about Vermont: I do only want to do 300-400 miles or so in the spring, with any amount of Vermont (or even northern MA) being only a bonus, and no Vermont whatsoever is fine too, and basically I'd quit just as soon as the black flies or mud is bad.

Per Burger's comment, perhaps I should even start earlier in early/mid-april? Really, the question is about NJ/NY/CT/MA. I'm not trying to continue further in late spring or early summer. I want to come back later in the year, late summer/early fall (I will never, ever be away from Colorado in the mid-summer) and finish from wherever I left off.

This guy did NY and NJ in April, did not seem to have any problem, probably all depends on the weather that year:
    http://sectionhiker.com/at-section-h...reenwood-lake/

That's a really, really bad time of year to hike, even in NJ/NY/CT. That's monsoon season with prolong periods of cold drizzle. If you like being miserable, go for it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Black flies aren't a problem until Killington at worst. I hike this corridor all the time, great time to hike until you get to Vermont which is likely to be wet and muddy, but it's wet and muddy often. The other states in April into May are great, cool, wet sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Black flies aren't a problem until Killington at worst. I hike this corridor all the time, great time to hike until you get to Vermont which is likely to be wet and muddy, but it's wet and muddy often. The other states in April into May are great, cool, wet sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    That's a really, really bad time of year to hike, even in NJ/NY/CT. That's monsoon season with prolong periods of cold drizzle. If you like being miserable, go for it.
    OK! Sure have different takes on this section... My take on it is arrive late April and go for it, expect wet/chilly, hope for better, in any case, get 300-400 miles done (or not, if it's really bad). I'll be prepared to take a lot of days off here and there to dry off/warm up.

Thanks for the info!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TomN View Post
    This guy did NY and NJ in April, did not seem to have any problem, probably all depends on the weather that year:
    http://sectionhiker.com/at-section-h...reenwood-lake/
    By the way, thanks, nice descriptive link.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    OK! Sure have different takes on this section... My take on it is arrive late April and go for it, expect wet/chilly, hope for better, in any case, get 300-400 miles done (or not, if it's really bad). I'll be prepared to take a lot of days off here and there to dry off/warm up.

Thanks for the info!
    It's New England , what do u expect? Late spring btw is what was said, which probably means say may 8 leaving DWG to say June 15 in Vermont . That's a terrific time to be in this area. Maybe the best time to be here. It's def better than July and August. Vermont will be muddy . It's muddy in July too. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Ah, didn't read closely. Well, if you're just doing up to CT or MA, you're probably in better shape. Bugs shouldn't be a big problem (though if it's a warm spring and you go up to MA, you may see the early blackflies). Weather will be highly variable. Expect everything from below freezing nights with a slight possibility of a bit of snow to 70-degree, beautiful days.

Images

I hiked NY, CT, MA from mid to late April and found mosquitos to be NO problem.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

I am also surprised about the negative feedback on CT and NY in the late-ish spring. Have hiked there many times (in the case of CT many MANY times, including leading > 20 trips). Although from time to time the weather hasn't been super-great, I've never had a single problem with any kind of bug and generally speaking conditions have been fine. I'm very cautious about when and where I take my groups, since they are almost always newbies, and I go out repeatedly in this area at this time, with no worries. So, I think this would be an excellent time to go and certainly much more enjoyable than hiking this stretch in full summer which I did last year to my regret.

Jane

Some people are being over dramatic (shocking, I know). The key consideration is that conditions are highly variable depending on the kind of season we're having and the daily weather. You'll want to have a plan for both fairly cold, wet weather and sometimes quite warm weather. You really will be "hiking with spring". 2013 saw a very dry and warm May (brushfires, even), but a wet and rainy April. Just hike. Stay off the higher elevations in VT until June 1 (it really does make a difference).

Cosmo

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I covered PA, NJ, CT and southern MA over several early spring hikes (late March/early April) in the early 70's. Yes, we dealt with snow and ice several times, including some pretty good post-holing on north-facing slopes, but these were quite pleasant hikes that got me hooked on the AT. I did most of NY in early June, which was very pleasant.

If you want to go as far as you can, then I would consider starting at High Point as soon as the bulk of the snowpack has melted and getting as far north as you southern VT before the mud bogs you down. Of course, weather conditions vary quite widely year-to-year, so you'll have to use your judgement as to when to start and what you might encounter on your way north.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I covered PA, NJ, CT and southern MA over several early spring hikes (late March/early April) in the early 70's. Yes, we dealt with snow and ice several times, including some pretty good post-holing on north-facing slopes, but these were quite pleasant hikes that got me hooked on the AT. I did most of NY in early June, which was very pleasant.

If you want to go as far as you can, then I would consider starting at High Point as soon as the bulk of the snowpack has melted and getting as far north as you southern VT before the mud bogs you down. Of course, weather conditions vary quite widely year-to-year, so you'll have to use your judgement as to when to start and what you might encounter on your way north.
    Yep, good advice, that will be the plan, I'll stay on top of conditions out there using this fine forum and hit the trail as early as possible after early April (I have commitments up until then). Thanks all!

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I hiked Duncannon,PA -> MA/VT from 4/21->5/22. It was awesome, and you'll have your pick of the shelters and campsites. Weekends were "social time" as the day hikers from the cities come out to play (and they bring food and good conversation!)

As a matter of fact, I'd hike that all over again during the same timeframe in a heartbeat.

Yep, that and early October are my favorite time of year to hike NJ/NY. Highly recommended. If it rains too much you can find a town nearly every day if you want.

Images

If you really want to get a accurate idea go to the farmers almanac website. For free you can look up dates one at a time.
    Chose my hiking days by weather over the past ten years for a specific week. Of course its weather it can always change, but the last ten years gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect for temps and rain/snow fall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++