WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I am in love with solo!

It’s true, I am in love with my Solo Wood burning stove. I purchased the stove early last month and have tried it out three times now. Twice at home and just this weekend on an overnighter. I picked up small twigs and limbs and broke them up on my way to my campsite. One cargo pocket held enough fuel, at no cost, to heat up two meals, one cup of tea, and a cup of coffee. A little heavy, but for overnighters and kayaking trips this stove will be the one I will carry. My next trip, I plan on cooking my meals with this stove, not just boiling water.

Check here: http://www.solostove.com/

I too love my solo stove! Although it won't be getting the nod for my thru, it is my go to stove for overnights.
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

it's a copy of the Bushbuddy.
    This is the original :
    http://bushbuddy.ca/

i just got a solo stove yesterday mostly because it looked sweet. Burned it a few times in the backyard and works much better than i expected. I will be trying it out late december in the smokies although i think i will have the gf throw the old pocket rocket in her pack to be safe.

That looks pretty cool. I'm tempted. What do you use for firestarter? I suppose a jellied cotton ball would speed things along but natural tinder would likely do as well if it's reasonably dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    That looks pretty cool. I'm tempted. What do you use for firestarter? I suppose a jellied cotton ball would speed things along but natural tinder would likely do as well if it's reasonably dry out.
    Carry a few Esbit tablets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    Carry a few Esbit tablets.
    And go practice in some more real world conditions..high winds, rain , rain after two days when every twig is saturated, high winds and rain ... Remember with a wood burner, you're starting a fire every time you want to cook ... Keep tinder in a zip lock .. Hand sanitizer helps start .. Gathering twigs near the end of the day while you hike saves time in camp .. Have fun

On one of my practice runs I use twigs picked up in my backyard just after a 12 hour rain. Placed a waxed cotton ball in the bottom (usuallyon top of fuel) and lit it up. The soaking wet wood was dried in short orderand I was able to heat my water to boiling with adding very little extra wet fuel.I used a DIY windscreen at the same time with good results. The advice to playwith it at home and under real conditions is solid with all your new equipment.

Look at this deal: http://www.solostove.com/

A free pot with each stove purchased. If I had known this I would have waited.

++ New Posts ++