WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 40 or 50 Degree quilt?

I'll be statin o section hike the AT next June and don't know if I should go with a 40 or 50 degree quilt? I tend to sleep on the warm side but I'm worried that if I get a 50 degree quilt that I won't be able to use it other times of the year if it's not warm enough. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

During summer on the AT, a 50F quilt would be more ideal. Especially in the mid Atlantic regions as some hikers just use a sleeping bag liner since the nights don't cool off much. But as you noted, a 50F quilt won't be of much use during other parts of the year.

I have 2 quilts to cover all my backpacking needs: a 20F and a 40F. A 40F is more versatile for a wide range of use than a 50F would be unless you only camp during the hot months of summer and never travel to high elevations. My Hammock Gear Burrow 40F quilt completely opens up like a blanket since the footbox unsnaps (unlike my 20F quilt where its sewn) which really helps expand my use of it in warmer weather.

Miner, said what needed to be said although I'll add a bit. I often assume a moderate gram weenie addiction philosophy but still want some versatility so with my 50* quilt I chose the Enlightened Equipment Revelation with 900 hyperdry down. This has a non sewn footbox so opens up completely flat offering unrivaled venting ability, use as a UQ in a hammock set-up(with DIY suspension), works decently in humid and moderately wet situations in itself, and can be added to a sleeping bag in really cold conditions to extend the lower usable temp range of my sleep system without having to spend $$$ for a separate most UL high end down deep winter conventional sleeping bag that sees limited use. In other words, I considered my budget, what I wanted based on the trips I primarily do, and chose this 50* quilt with these options so it would be used more often than simply for fair weather summer quilting ground set-ups.

if you're asking- probably the 40*

My follow up question- what is the weight difference and can you vent it (open the footbox)?
    Most likely the weight difference is under 2oz. You can make the 40* cooler, but nothing makes the 50* warmer.
    If you own a 30* and can switch then get the 50* Most folks go 40*, 20* though.

For the record- I have too many quilts.

Or 10-15*, 30*, 50*.

I too am in the too may quilts category. I'm doing away with the 15* quilt and sticking with conventional UL high end sleeping bags when temps regularly get below 25* - for now. Talk to me in two yrs and I might be doing something different. C'est la vie.

I like what Swami(Cam) opted for on his 12 Long Hikes 18 month affair - 15* and 30* Katabatic down quilts with a breathable non WP UL bivy(MLD Superlight mainly) sometimes thrown into the mix under a largish(very good coverage) MLD poncho. That's quite a versatile modular arsenal IF it works for you.

Wt difference between a 50* and 40* quilt with everything being equal is about 3 oz maybe a bit less. Not a big deal to most but since quilt users tend to be prioritizing wt it does play into choices.

Many refer to a sleep system for good reason. Many factors, including the tweaking of a quilt/sleeping bag, addition of techniques, sleeping in an enclosed tent verse cowboy or tarp or hammock camping, wearing sleeping apparel layers, gear amendments(liners, bivy, etc), change a sleep systems warmth rating and other sleep system characteristics so to say you can't make a system that includes a 50* quilt/sleeping bag warmer, in a broader sense, isn't totally accurate. I may be nitpicking some but since quilt users also tend to be prioritizing versatility of their sleeping arrangements I think it's fair to note these things in that larger context. You can make it as complex or as simple as you want it though. Perhaps, the less complex thing to do is to just use a sleeping bag not having to consider these things. Likewise, just go with a fully enclosed tent and not deal with the greater complexity in a modular shelter system. All these things can be thought of in a broader sense.

I'd have to agree though with what you said JB "if you're asking- probably the 40*"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    if you're asking- probably the 40*
    Yeah, this. But a lot depends on where you plan to hike and also your personal thermostat.

I got the Jacks R Better Shenandoah quilt for summer hiking; it's rated to "40-45F" according to their web site. Used it for a couple of summers in the South, where temps didn't get below 60 or even 70, and it's plenty warm enough. Hiked the Long Trail in VT this past summer, with lows in the mid 50s and even into the high 40s, and I was very glad to have my ultralight down parka as part of my sleep system. (It was the only warm layer I brought, and also nice around camp in the morning.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

A ul 40 F quilt that footbox opens on , will be cooler than a heavier 50 with a sewn footbox. Get a flexible quilt.

Not unusual in summer to start evening at 75 F, and drop to 55 F -60 F by early morning. Everything is too hot when you go to bed. You dont cover up until temps and body cool down, often after midnight.. Its humid, sweaty, and itchy sleeping. I dont mind summer hiking, i dont like the sleeping.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-06-2014 at 01:02.

So I've made a decision and ordered a 40 degree quilt with a non-sewn foot box from Enlightened Equipment. Pretty excited to get it!

That's what I like to hear. YOU came to a firm decision. Yeah. HYOH.

I am looking at adding a quilt as well for summer months. I am do not count grams. Weight doesn't really matter to me. Saving/not spending money does. Currently, I use a Marmot Trestles 30 (59 oz) for 4 seasons. I have used it in the summer months. I have used it down to 17 degree weather without issue (just bag and regular hiking clothes). I have bought all my gear in the last 4-5 months and hiked 350 miles. I think it is also important to state type of hiker. I am not a thru hiker. I am not a long section hiker. I hike largely exclusively on weekends with 1-2 longer trips per year (4-6 days). If I was a thru hiker or a long section hiker, I may change my opinion, but I doubt it.

For next year, however, I was looking for a summer bag as my single upgrade for the year. I am hoping none of my gear needs to be replaced next year.

I, too, am looking at Enlightened Equipment. I am thinking of getting either (1) the Prodigy 40* ($160) (20 oz); or (2) the revelation 40* ($220) (14 oz). Since 60$ will likely mean more the me than a measly 6 oz, I will probably go with the Prodigy. Also, it is synthetic, which I have a single walled tent (read condensation issues, a lot with me). I think on all three front's (usability, cost, and by far least important weight) the Prodigy wins the day.

The difference in weight between a 50* (14 oz) and a 40* (20 oz) for the prodigy is 6 oz. Since lbs don't matter, oz matter even less. I will likely go with the 40 for a little more versatility in early summer/late summer months/late spring/early fall months.

I am also considering not even buying the upgrade and just sleeping on top of my marmot like i did this passed summer, or possibly bringing this very light blanket my mom made (12 ozs) or maybe even just using a bag liner.

So many decisions. It is a problem when you are as indecisive as I am.

Above 50 I've slept fine with just my thermolite extreme liner which I originally bought for winter. No pad was fine as well.
    I'll admit that around 50 I probably wake up once or twice to pull it back above my shoulders but Meh. $60

If you're carrying more than a lb and paying more I'd hope you're getting a better temperature range.

++ New Posts ++