WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Baker or Lost Turkey Trails in PA

Has anybody hiked the Baker Trail north of Pittsburgh or the Lost Turkey Trail east of Johnstown? I'm starting to plan for next spring.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

nope. but next thanksgiving I will finish the mid state trail and will have to pick a new one for my annual thanksgiving week PA hike, so looking forward to hearing about your trip.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have wanted to hike Baker but they have not updated the guidebook since 09/07. I'm planning on it when I figure out some new gear choices. And still need to do the two ends of the Highlands trail.

I also haven't done either of those trails, but I've done the John P. Saylor trail, which is in the same state forest. JPS is a nice, easy overnighter if that's what you're looking for. Nice camping next to Clear Shade Creek, and the option to hike or not hike the "Clear Shade Loop".

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    I have wanted to hike Baker but they have not updated the guidebook since 09/07. I'm planning on it when I figure out some new gear choices. And still need to do the two ends of the Highlands trail.
    That's my concern, I got the guide from the library and am wondering how current the info is.

I posted some info about my hikes on the Highalnds trail this year. I like the southern end better than the northern end. If I can get selective amnesia about that hill northbound out of the Ohiopyle shelters I may try to through hike it northbound next year.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    nope. but next thanksgiving I will finish the mid state trail and will have to pick a new one for my annual thanksgiving week PA hike, so looking forward to hearing about your trip.
    Consider the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, 70.1 miles. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/lhht/index.htm
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    I also haven't done either of those trails, but I've done the John P. Saylor trail, which is in the same state forest. JPS is a nice, easy overnighter if that's what you're looking for. Nice camping next to Clear Shade Creek, and the option to hike or not hike the "Clear Shade Loop".
    Just started looking at it last night. One though was to paste the two trails together to get longer distance. I take it that camping is okay in the state forest portions but not on gamelands.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Also the Baker is part of the N.T.C.. I have done some loops off of the Tracy Ridge Trail and Johnnycake.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Also the Baker is part of the N.T.C.. I have done some loops off of the Tracy Ridge Trail and Johnnycake.
    so sorry Make that N.C.T. (North Country Trail).

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Consider the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, 70.1 miles. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/lhht/index.htm
    done it........

amongnature.blogspot.com

Has anybody hiked the Baker Trail north of Pittsburgh or the Lost Turkey Trail east of Johnstown? I'm starting to plan for next spring.
    The Rachel Carson Trails Conservancy's Store posted "New Baker Trail Guide Coming. ETA Spring 2015"

Journal Entries
    Images

Just started looking at it last night. One though was to paste the two trails together to get longer distance. I take it that camping is okay in the state forest portions but not on gamelands.
    Currently thinking about starting at the SW end of the Lost Turkey Trail and going north to just short of the State Game Lands to tent. Next day return south along the LTT (different direction, different trail) then doing the Saylor Trail loops "clockwise", tenting close to the beginning then at the far SE point on the small loop (if that makes sense to anybody). That will make it 4 days, 3 nights, a nice first Spring hike for 2015. Trying for the end of March - if life, work and weather all come into alignment.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

Delta.Look.

The baker has a lot of road walking and the lost turkey has very little forest land so camping is harder. Why not consider one of the many other trails such as the Allegheny Front, Quehanna, or Chuck Keiper to name a few. No road walking and they are all on state forest land so you can camp anywhere.

Images

And all 3 above are loop trails.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    The baker has a lot of road walking and the lost turkey has very little forest land so camping is harder. Why not consider one of the many other trails such as the Allegheny Front, Quehanna, or Chuck Keiper to name a few. No road walking and they are all on state forest land so you can camp anywhere.
    Working on western PA. Give me time, I'll get to the rest
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

I spent my 4th of July weekend finally on the Lost Turkey and John Saylor Trails in Gallitzin State Forest, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/gallitzin/index.htm .I did what I talked about in #12 above – start north on the Lost Turkey Trail then return south and do the two Saylor loops, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_002047.pdf .
    It took me so long (darn Murrysville) to get up there on Thursday night that I only went about 1.6 miles up the LTT and tented.You can park in the western trailhead lot across from the Babcock Picnic Area – not at the Picnic Area because they may lock the gate.
    Friday morning I continued north 4.2 miles to Hollow Road, returned south and crossed over PA56 to the Saylor Trail.I went about 1.1 miles east (clockwise) on the 12 mile loop and tented, about 11.1 miles.Saturday I continued around the loop and crossed over Clear Shade Creek on the suspension bridge.I was only going to go half way around the 6 mile loop but went all the way around.I recrossed the creek and tented there, about 9.9 miles.Sunday I finished the large loop, about 7 miles.Total for the weekend about 29 miles.There are mile posts on both trails and both are orange blazed.
    That’s the easy part.It had rained 2.25 inches in the week before Thursday, 2 July, and 1.6 inches Friday night/Saturday morning.To say everything was wet is an understatement.The trail was wet Thursday and Friday, and under water in many places Saturday and Sunday.Even the higher elevations were wet, the trail on hills was flowing and any low lying areas were ponded.The Saylor trail in many places is long abandoned logging railroad bed, flat or gentle grades and straight, but certainly not Great American Passage quality.There were cattails in the middle of the trail in one place.
    Lesson learned – check the antecedent precipitation conditions before you set out.
    I carefully picked a spot Friday night and my tent (BA CS1) stayed dry; Saturday morning there was a small pond about 20 feet behind my tent.I also fixed my small Tyvek tarp to provide some more covered area.It didn’t rain on Saturday and Sunday but everything was dripping.
    I saw one shelter on each trail, one about 4 mile north on the Lost Turkey Trail and the other about 2 miles west on the smaller Saylor loop.Both were smaller than other PA DCNR shelters, with a dirt floor and without a fireplace to the front.I didn’t notice any established tent sites other than at the bridge.
    I took my two poncho liners to sleep with in short UA base layers.Thursday and Friday night I was okay, mid to high 50s.Sunday morning I woke up a little cold, it was about 51 degrees overnight, cooler than was forecasted.
    Water resupply shouldn’t be a problem; there are enough streams and springs.I could have bent down and filled up right on the trail in many places.
    I ran into only 6 other hikers, one of whom lives less than a mile from me.
    There is no trail magic on these trails, there was a hiker feed at the first McDonalds that I came to going home though.Watch out for the PSP on US22.

Score:Miles=29Falls=2 (feet/knees/face, feet/ass/head)Deer=2Snakes=2 (small)Varmits=0

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

any new info on the baker trail? I'm thinking about mountain biking the trail. is that possible?

there is so little info online about this trail! now the RTC says the guide is expected "spring 2016".

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

From my guidebook: "Trailbikes, snowmobiles, ATVs, and any other motorized vehicles are not permitted on the trail except where public roads are utilized or where specifically permitted by the landowner. The Baker Trail is intended to be used exclusively by hikers; permission of landowners was obtained on this basis. Refrain from bringing dogs and bicycles on the trail"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    From my guidebook: "Trailbikes, snowmobiles, ATVs, and any other motorized vehicles are not permitted on the trail except where public roads are utilized or where specifically permitted by the landowner. The Baker Trail is intended to be used exclusively by hikers; permission of landowners was obtained on this basis. Refrain from bringing dogs and bicycles on the trail"
    Thats what I thought, but I have also read that the trail is over half road walks. I am interested in biking these sections. Any info/maps on these sections would be much appreciated!

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++