WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flip Flop Class of 2015 Unite!

Hello Follow Flip Floppers.

After reading the various thru hike strategies, I know a Flip Flop was the way to go for me.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...where-to-start

Brian

That's my plan too, but I can go until 2018. Would love to follow you and any other flip floppers next year though. Good luck!

I'm seriously considering a head start from Harpers Ferry about May 1. The train from Maine to Harpers Ferry should not be too bad. And the flight to Wash DC should be cheaper than a flight to Maine.

based on the research i've done, there is a bus/train via amtrak from bangor, me to harpers ferry, wv. my plan is to take the train from newark, nj to harpers ferry and head north.

Check out Megabus from Portland to DC, dirt cheap. Getting back to Harpers Ferry should not to be too difficult.

Planning to go in 2018 also. A retirement walk!

Hi all, checking in from Port Jervis, NJ with Bedgie and One Sock. All are drying out after the rain and enjoying cooler temps for a change. So very glad to be done with Pennsylvania. Encountering more trail magic as the season progresses, and that is always welcome. We sure miss hiking with Charlie Horse, Falconer, Eveready, and Dagmar and we hope they will rejoin us soon! Faith

Journal Entries

I sure do miss hiking with you guys....... eveready!!!!
    eveready

2018 for me too ...doing a flip flop...thinking of starting mid may because I don't want to hit maine before the black flies settle down a little bit...nasty little buggers!!!

Journal Entries

2018 seems to be a good year to start. I'm not into crowds either and will be planning a start at Harpers Ferry

Well... my first WB post! On October 2nd, I committed to a 2015 thru hike. I decided that a head start itinerary would be best for me. Leaving Harpers Ferry May 1 (or there-abouts) and headed NOBO. Then HF SOBO to Springer. I appreciate all the info and support from the AT/WB community! More posts and lots of questions to follow.

hey great plan, that's probably the way I'll go too, maybe see you on the trail. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by semicolon View Post
    Well... my first WB post! On October 2nd, I committed to a 2015 thru hike. I decided that a head start itinerary would be best for me. Leaving Harpers Ferry May 1 (or there-abouts) and headed NOBO. Then HF SOBO to Springer. I appreciate all the info and support from the AT/WB community! More posts and lots of questions to follow.

Squeezebox .... Pm 'd you, but your message box is full.

Semicolon & Squeezebox - My wife & I are hoping to do the same, but will be starting 100 or so miles south of you (hwy33/SNP) and a few weeks earlier (no later than April 15). Should put us in HF about the time you take off (planning on taking it really easy the first 2-4 weeks...no reason to rush and blow an achilles :-)).

I have vacillated between a NOBO and flip-flop for months and have finally decided once and for all that I doing a flip. I am basically doing the Cool Breeze with a twist. Sounds like a yummy drink! Anyway, in early April it will be Troutville, VA to Gt. Barrington, MA, then off for a quick visit home, then from MA to ME by August. Then back to VA and SOBO the rest of the way. Done by mid October or so. I should hit the trail with some hikers in both directions so I hope to see some of you early starters and lots of SOBOs later on. This is my plan and I am sticking with it come hell or high water!! I can NOT wait!!

Did I hear that the ATC is doing a flip-flop workshop May 2? or was that just part of a strange dream?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Did I hear that the ATC is doing a flip-flop workshop May 2? or was that just part of a strange dream?
    Not a strange dream...I too saw Laura's post that the ATC was planning a May 2nd Flip Flop kick off. And, given all the conversations about traditional NOBO/SOBO hiker impacts, I hope that we can heighten the awareness of alternative thru hiking itineraries. The Head Start has always been my first preference.

Let's make sure one of us starts a thread about Apr. 1, to collect info about start places and times, share contact info etc,
    I'm not looking to get married, or bubble, but having someone watching my back would be good.

Sounds good to me squeezebox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Anyone who chooses to flip flop is going to give themselves one big pat on the back. Here's an overlooked advantage to alternative thrus: you may very well be the first hiker(s) of the season for the hostels, businesses, and trail angels you pass through. Much more accommodating in every way.

You're doing a great thing for the trail too.

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++