WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast

One hiker at ATC HQ recently suggested flip-floppers be called HOBOs. First they HOp on the northBOund train, and the hop on the southbound train. Like true hobos, they rarely get on trains at the point of origin, though they may get off at the end of the line.

Images

Keep ya Head Up SiS, GOOD Info... ALDHA...

Near the head of the bubble. Doing great! Heading into Waynesboro for a near! Love and luck to all my fellow Classmates on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

I hiked with the top of the bubble for the first three days -- a very impressive bunch compared to what I saw down in Georgia the last two years. It seems that the ATC training and this thread has really helped!

Sorry about the 17 mile death march to Pogo Campsite -- probably should have lingered around Washington Monument for an hour or two and stayed at Annapolis Rocks -- but it was way too hot to hang out there at 3 PM.

At home now, brewing some coffee...

Wishing you all the best,

"42"
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Hey 42.... great walking w you yesterday...been resting my feet and they are coming back from deaths door. Awesome hike up here in flipflop land! Broke 50 mi mark today, great folks up here! Heading to Fayettevile PA tomorrow! Take care....

Brancher,

Glad to hear you are doing well, overall. Baby those feet, they have to take you far.

Take your shoes and socks off at every opportunity to let you feet dry out and breathe and deal with hot spots other problems right away.

If your feet continue to hurt, keep trying different shoes, inserts, and socks till you get something that feels good. I had a lot of pain the first several hundred miles with several different boots and finally my mom sent me her running shoes that I thought would have been a size too big and all of a sudden I started having pain-free days.

I'm cheering you guys and gals on!

Treehugger, Fuzz, Buck, Biscuit, Humminbard, Just Laura, Crazy Mark, PoCommaWill, Scavenger, Scout, Alyssa and Brad are all well and good. Heading for Pine Grove Furnace to eat some ice cream! Cobblestone Hotel in Waynesboro was awesome!! Ask for $80 hiker rate for up to 4 people. Dwill went home sick but maybe back soon. Wish him the best luck and get well Big D! More later!!

Thanks, Lori for the suggestion. I'm soaking my feet every 2 hours or so and loading ibuprofens whenever possible. Staying in Fayetteville tonight picking up a bounce box then back on the trail.

Jimmyjam, Slingshot, and myself are camped a couple miles past Pine Grove. Trace Ombrés! It took me two 18+ mile days to get here from Waynesboro to catch them! Glad to hear most are doing well or on the mend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Hey guys! Tree here! Were a couple days behind u but doing well. Everyone here wishes you three well!!

Dave, is the Pine Grove Furnace General Store open? The guide says weekends only before Memorial Day, but also that there is new ownership and the hours may change. I 'm starting a section hike north from Pen Mar next weekend.

Images

Hit Waynesboro today for resupply and a good sleep at the Cobblestone. Just behind you Treehugger and the gang... following your shelter entries.

Laurie P YOU ARE A FANTASTIC TRAIL ANGEL!! Thanks again.

Good hiking to all,
    CARBO
    Simple is good.

Yes. Pine Grove GS is open. Cya soon Carbo!

I'm finally in DC and I'm getting into HF tonight Just need to pick up a hard copy of the guide and some fuel.
    I'm quite concerned though. I had intended to start VERY slowly. And I drink a ton of water. Trying to go straight to Ed Garvey tonight, I'll probably get knocked out by the climb, or get to the shelter with no water - and people say the source is hard to get to, but just how hard? Is there any water on the way? :S

Mithadon,

Great that you are planning to start slowly, but you won't have any time to waste to get to the shelter site and set up your tent. It's likely to be crowded on a Saturday night. Can you spend the night in Harpers Ferry, to hike in the cool morning hours and not have to rush? Or come to ATC HQ and say hello and get your photo taken?

Hopefully there'd be fewer people at the shelter, too, if you waited to reach it in Sunday night.

Sorry, there's not camping in Harpers Ferry, but there are a variety of places to stay in Harpers Ferry (hostel, inn, motel, B&Bs), and there's the HI Harpers Ferry Hostel, 4 miles north of Harpers Ferry where you can camp or stay inside.

The side trail to the Ed Garvey shelter spring is 0.4 downhill. It's not THAT bad--it's not straight down. There are some swtichbacks. You don't have to carry your pack--although it's always wise to have someone watch it for you.

There is no water on the way.

Wishing you a great start to your journey whatever you decide to do!

Laurie P.

Images

Danger, Slingshot and I are at Boiling Springs. On to Duncannon tomorrow. Having a blast.

Hi Laurie, thanks for your response! I got to HF on the train a bit too late to get to ATC but would have liked to. I got to the HI hostel instead and decided to stay there so I'd be well rested to get to Ed Garvey tomorrow. If I come back to HF before then I will certainly stop by

Falconer, Om, Queen, & I are sitting in James Fry Shelter @ 1400 debating the merits of prceeding another 4 mi. Ironmasrers Inn was very enjoyable. Nice caretakers; no ice cream for me, but the half gallon milk hit the spot. Zero day on the sked for Boiling Springs or Duncannon. My weight loss is my biggest concern. I'm down to 1968 weight and don't seem to be able to halt the slide. A zero day is becoming a necessity rather than a nicity. Best to all...CH

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger View Post
    Treehugger, Fuzz, Buck, Biscuit, Humminbard, Just Laura, Crazy Mark, PoCommaWill, Scavenger, Scout, Alyssa and Brad are all well and good. Heading for Pine Grove Furnace to eat some ice cream! Cobblestone Hotel in Waynesboro was awesome!! Ask for $80 hiker rate for up to 4 people. Dwill went home sick but maybe back soon. Wish him the best luck and get well Big D! More later!!
    Dwill here. On Wednesday I had to leave the trail and went directly to the hospital in Hagarstown. Had Heat Stroke, dehydration, exhaustion, and partial renal shutdown. Darn! Been hiking many years and thought I knew how to take care of myself. Drink a lot of water, people!! After 24-hours in hospital I went home (Northern Illinois) to rest up for a few days. I'm feeling better but still tired. Would like to rejoin Treehugger, Fuzz, Buck, Biscuit, Hummingbard, and the rest of the group in Duncannon later in the week.

Anybody know the status of Squeezebox?

Update....had a great slackpack sobo w Faith yesterday.....feet still cooked but getting bettet. 11-mi Sobo allowed us to meet most og bubble....everybody is hot..tired..sore..and very optimistic!. First zero today to get car home. Back to Boiling Springs tomorrow . Son joining us for a well deserved after-semester section....yippee!!! He'll need a trail name...
    Br (aka 'piston legs')

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++