WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Wanted to share this. The Town's Inn in Harpers Ferry used to have hostel like accommodation for hikers, but no longer do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry regarding lodging at the Town’s Inn!

The rooms in this historical (circa 1840) residence are delightful, and the location is perfect: it's in the heart of Harpers Ferry (www.HistoricHarpersFerry.com), a few steps from the rivers, trails, train station, shops, restaurants, and museums that are part of the Harpers Ferry National Historic Park 1860 living history village ( www.nps.gov/hafe).

The Town is a special place for all seasons for many reasons, and the Inn is a self-contained destination ( lodging, restaurant, Sundry Shoppe, and an Adventure Academy offering educational, enjoyable customized sessions from November through April…. ).

The Inn no longer contains hostel-style accommodations available for advance reservation. However, if any of the private rooms have not been rented by noon on the day of arrival, an individual bed can be reserved for $40 with the understanding that the other beds in the room may also be rented hostel-style if possible.

For future reference:

Each of the five rooms in the Inn have a private bathroom, microwave, and fridge. Each room is unique. At this moment, all five rooms are available for a 2 May arrival and 3 May departure.

The three rooms in the Heritage House ( 179 High Street ) include the Appalachian Room ( full-size bed, $140 ), Potomac Room ( queen-size brass bed and brass day bed with trundle, $120 ), and Shenandoah Room ( upper/lower full-size and upper/lower twin-size beds, $120 for 1 to 4 guests, plus $10 for each additional person.

The accommodations in the Mountain House ( 175 High Street ) were totally renovated during the fall. The website is still undergoing revisions to reflect the changes — but pictures of the rooms have been posted.

The second and third floors have been rented as a private residence. The first floor consists of the Mountain View Suite and the Friendship Room.

The Mountain View Suite consists of two rooms and a private bath in the stone portion of the Mountain house. The front room is furnished with a queen-size sleeper sofa and the back room with an antique queen-ish size brass bed. The Suite also has a little nook with twin-size bunk beds. The cost is $140 / night for 1 to 4 guests plus $10 for each additional person.

The Friendship Room consists of the first floor of the wooden house that is attached to the stone house. This large room is furnished with a queen-size bed, a day bed, a trundle bed, and a sofa that can serve as a fourth bed. The cost is $140 / night for 1 - 4 guests, plus $10 for each additional person and $30 for approved pets.

By the way, you can check room availability anytime from the Home Page of the Inn's website by clicking on "Click here to reserve a room," which will allow you to see which rooms are available yet not require you to make a reservation on-line unless you choose to do so. Keep in mind that we love our "on-line" / Internet features but that we are always happy to personally respond to emails and to telephone calls. We enjoy talking personally with callers who have questions about the Inn and/or the Town.

If you want to make reservations, please either book your reservation on-line (www.TheTownsInn.com) or call / email us with MasterCard or Visa information (number, expiration date, security code). Upon arrival, please stop by my office to check-in and to get your credit card swiped so that you won’t have to pay a $5 credit card processing fee.

Regardless of whether or not you stay in the Inn, we invite you to dine in our Restaurant which features friendly service and delicious, nutritious, fresh-from-the-kitchen cuisine served in our dining room or on our patios from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. every day of the year.

We hope we have the privilege and pleasure of seeing and serving you, your family, and your friends in the future.

Sincerely,
    Karan

Dr. Karan Townsend

The Town's Inn
    179 High Street
    PO Box 1412
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425

My hubby & I are starting in Atkins, VA on April 14. North of Mt. Rogers, so hopefully we won't experience any snow. Too bad we won't be in HF in time for the Kickoff.

Laurie, Could you fill us in on what you're thinking of doing for the kick off?
    Also are there any tent sites nearby?

Thanks, Treehugger. Sounds good. I'm going to look into starting further south too. Transportation is the biggest factor - Harper's Ferry is the most accessible point on the trail because of Amtrak. I may end up leaving from there around May 1.

Amtrak also goes to Lynchburg Va. There you catch a bus (30 minutes $5 to Roanoke Va.) It is easy to catch a lift from tail angels to Daleville Va. where you can get on the trail. Check the bus and train schedules. PM me if you want some help.

I plan to start May 9th in HF (going north first) for my flip flop. This may be a silly question.....Should I check-in/sign the registry at the ATC when I start or when I come back to go south or both?

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Thanks, Treehugger. Sounds good. I'm going to look into starting further south too. Transportation is the biggest factor - Harper's Ferry is the most accessible point on the trail because of Amtrak. I may end up leaving from there around May 1.

Amtrak also goes to Lynchburg Va. There you catch a bus (30 minutes $5 to Roanoke Va.) It is easy to catch a lift from tail angels to Daleville Va. where you can get on the trail. Check the bus and train schedules. PM me if you want some help.
    I live close to HF and my husband will be driving me to the starting point in or near Troutville, but thanks for the offer to help me out. I will offer the same to you. PM me if you would like a ride south from HF.

Images

Well this may be a bit different because I am headed SOBO from Snickers Gap the last week of April and everyone seems to be NOBO. But, I may cross paths with a few of you on the trail. Best wishes and good weather to you all.

I already have decided to make a FlipFlop to avoid the Bubble. Starting date should be around end of March. What I still haven't understood is why all people seem to go north instead of south. Wy not start, let's say, in upper third of AT, go south, return to starting gpoint and go north to Kathadin? Noone seems to take into consideration this itinerary. Any reason for that?
    Thanks for any advice.

It gets seriously hot as you follow spring into summer as you go south. I would much rather be in New England in the summer than NC and GA. But I can certainly see the draw of finishing at Katahdin in Sept/Oct too. I've lived in both regions and even though New England can get hot, the temps do not tend to stay that way for long. Going north from somewhere in VA in the spring just seems to get you more moderate temperatures thruout, albeit plenty of cold at first, storms and bugs later, and ending with nice fall weather in the south. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChros View Post
    I already have decided to make a FlipFlop to avoid the Bubble. Starting date should be around end of March. What I still haven't understood is why all people seem to go north instead of south. Wy not start, let's say, in upper third of AT, go south, return to starting gpoint and go north to Kathadin? Noone seems to take into consideration this itinerary. Any reason for that?
    Thanks for any advice.

Images

I'm going to jump on board with the flippers and start NOBO early to mid April from the northern end of the SNP. I like hiking with people, but I've been down south and hiked with the tail end of the bubble and seen what happens when the main bubble passes thru and do not want to be a part of it.

Where to change out winter/summer gear? I've read the suggestions for where to change out winter/summer gear with a March start from Springer.
    I just don't see that holds for a flip flop. I've modified my cold weather gear list from a March start to a May start from Harpers Ferry. lighter bag, jacket etc. So my question is where & when to change out cold & warm weather gear. Sounds like Maine in July can still be pretty chilly, and Virginia in Aug & most of Sept., pretty hot & humid.
    So I'm thinking! start with the cold weather stuff, starting in HF, carry it to Maine. flip back to Harpers Ferry probably around Aug 1. Pick up warm weather gear there carry that until the 2nd half of Sept. should be close to Erwin or Hot Springs, but pick up the colder weather gear before the Smokies. Altitude comes into the mix. Then finish in cooler fall weather. Your opinions?

Images

SB, I think your clothing plan is sound from what I know about the trail .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Journal Entries
    Images

I notice by the posts that almost all of the folks who have decided to flip are from a older, more sensible crowd. The younger group, 18-30 group are more in it for the party aspect and not the hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

Hey Grampie,

I too am from the older generation of hikers and not exactly fond of being a part of the bubble either. Logistically, I could not put a flip hike together, and hope to HMOH by minimizing shelter use. I was also concerned about mental aspects of flipping as well. After a few days of the trail for travel purposes, to see family and friends, familiar surroundings, it might be difficult to get started again.

Regards,
    hazmat (70 days and counting)

Makes sense, Hazmat, and good luck! Maybe we'll pass along the way.

I am delighted to see so many making the Flip decision for all the right reasons. Perhaps the Class of 2015 can be a turning point...a new trend. We can hope.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Thanks for the tick info Treehugger!

chrischros An option you might consider is to cut the trail into thirds. You could fly into New York city. The trail is close by. Hike south for a while, maybe close to the Smokies. Then when summer really kicks in move to New England, north or south. After New England down south, finish the southern 1/3 probably heading south.
    But if you have time constraints and visa issues you might skip the middle section.

Default Why Flip-Flop northbound first leg recommended

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChros View Post
    Thanks for any advice.
    ChrisChros,

Here are the reasons ATC particularly encourages starting the first half of a flip-flop northbound from Harpers Ferry late April to mid-May.

1) You start significantly ahead of the northbound bubble and stay ahead of it, at least until it thins out. That's good for the trail, because hikers are dispersed. If you walk southbound, you're adding to the bubble when you walk through it. One person isn't going to make a difference, but if it became a popular trend, it could.

2) You have the companionship and camaraderie of northbound thru-hikers. Almost all will be walking faster and further than you at the beginning, but you might bump into people a few nights in a row. After a while, as you get your trail legs, you will spend more successive nights together, or at least bump into hikers in town, or after they've gotten off for a wedding or something like that. If you go southbound, at first there will be almost no thru-hikers, and then there will be a big crush of hikers. You'll pass more than a thousand of them, but just with a hi or a brief chat at a view. At most, you'll spend a night at a shelter. Most hikers find it more satisfying to spend more time with fewer people.

3) There are a lot of advantages with the timing and succession doing the northbound first in the late April to mid-May time frame.

a) You get through some or most of the mid-Atlantic before it becomes really hot and humid.

b) You reach the White Mountains before there are tons of thru-hikers to compete for work-for-stay (though never guarantees that it's available--generally only 2 spots are offered, if help is needed), but your chances of getting it are better, and the hut crews won't have soured after a season of too many north bounders whom they perceive as acting entitled. The huts are as much as $149/night per person (including breakfast and dinner).

c) You hike Maine, which is really, really hard (the hardest state of all, with the most scrambling and climbing) when daylight hours are still relatively long, with more time to do those rugged miles.

d) You hike Maine, which is really, really hard (the hardest state of all) before your body starts to wear down. Some hikers are just worn out by the time they get there on a northbound hike, especially older hikers. The younger hikers sometimes are just bored with the trail by then and just want to get it over with, which is kind of a shame, because many consider Maine the wildest and most beautiful state.

e) Your accèss to Baxter State Park is much simpler when you arrive on foot a distance of more than 100 miles. Otherwise, you have to go through all the advance reservation system (this note is more for those flipping up to Katahdin).

Conversely, we've had two volunteers at ATC headquarters (a few years apart)--people whom I knew pretty well, who attempted flip-flop thru-hikes from Harpers Ferry southbound (against my advice, if they had asked or listened). They both ran out of steam and quit because it just wasn't fun enough to keep going (one in Pearisbug, VA and one in the Smokies). They just didn't seem to be as pulled into the experience, even though they planned for a long time and were really excited about it when they set out. I also think it wore on them psychologically to keep explaining what they were doing, not only something different, but going "the wrong way." Two people is a small sample, and only one 1 out of 4 north bounders makes it the whole way, but it still made an impression on me. That is in combination with two other people (one solo male and one couple) who also didn't like going through the crowds and a variety of other conditions they encountered.

Does everyone know about our 2,000-miler correspondence list for alternative thru-hikes? If not, it's a list of recent flip-floppers and other thru-hikers with alternative itineraries from recent years that you can contact, along with some quotes by them, and some tips from ATC. If you're interested, email [email protected] and request the Alternative 2,000-miler correspondence list.

Hikers have done many many different types of flip-flops, and there are many that people have been happy with. However, some work best only in a specific time/pace scenario, and some are more popular than other. Especially in an aspect of thru-hiking about which there is not a lot of information, I think it's most beneficial for ATC to promote the flip-flop version that has been tried the most (of the versions that benefit the Trail) and about which we have heard enough feedback to feel confident in sharing it.

I hope this helps!

Laurie P.
    ATC

Got some lodging info from Lauriep in an e-mail. She also says the ATC is still getting the Kick-off organized, so if anyone has ideas, let 'em fly!

"The three places other than B&Bs within walking distance of ATC are The Teahorse Hostel (1/2 mile west of ATC), the Town's Inn (1/2 mile east of ATC, in the heart of downtown Harpers Ferry and the historic district), and the EconoLodge. 1/4 mile west, then 0.4 miles south.

The Teahorse Hostel is perhaps the location most ideal to host a group of flip-flop hikers, but The Town's Inn, however, has been the most eager to be involved. The space at The Inn is pretty snug, and the owner Karan doesn't run a hostel per se, although some rooms can sleep 4 or 6, I can't remember (but she doesn't sell bunk space, only room space). There is a restaurant right on premises. Typically only a portion of the guests at The Inn are hikers, whereas the Teahorse gets primarily hikers and some cyclists."

I gotta get my lodging nailed down myself. I struggle with the Big P (procrastination)...
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Got some lodging info from Lauriep in an e-mail. She also says the ATC is still getting the Kick-off organized, so if anyone has ideas, let 'em fly!

"The three places other than B&Bs within walking distance of ATC are The Teahorse Hostel (1/2 mile west of ATC), the Town's Inn (1/2 mile east of ATC, in the heart of downtown Harpers Ferry and the historic district), and the EconoLodge. 1/4 mile west, then 0.4 miles south.

The Teahorse Hostel is perhaps the location most ideal to host a group of flip-flop hikers, but The Town's Inn, however, has been the most eager to be involved. The space at The Inn is pretty snug, and the owner Karan doesn't run a hostel per se, although some rooms can sleep 4 or 6, I can't remember (but she doesn't sell bunk space, only room space). There is a restaurant right on premises. Typically only a portion of the guests at The Inn are hikers, whereas the Teahorse gets primarily hikers and some cyclists."

I gotta get my lodging nailed down myself. I struggle with the Big P (procrastination)...
    Hi Guys. I live nearby and although I will be on the trail already come FFKO time (I hope to go anyway) I thought I'd offer my two cents here.

Other lodging choices in town but further from the ATC are The Knights Inn, Knoxville, MD on Keep Tryst Rd. and HI-Harpers Ferry Hostel on Sandy Hook Rd. and if all else fails check this website for just about everything offered in the way of lodging http://historicharpersferry.com/directory.php?type_id=4
    The ATC may have volunteers' names that will cart you to and from the ATC and/or trail head from any of these locations. The outfitters in HF and nearby Purcellville, VA may be able to help with shuttle contacts too. Keep in mind also that the PATC runs several accommodations within a days walk or hitch of HF, including Bears Den, Blackburn Trail Center, and High Acre. The David Lesser Shelter is pretty close by as is the Ed Garvey Shelter.
    Last edited by Treehugger; 01-20-2015 at 11:37.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++