WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

More good info, Laurie, than you!

Well, I'm heading out this morning for my last shake-down hike. Four days and forty miles. The forecast is for warm weather, and 2.5 inches of rain! Four days in the rain, likely all alone. Wish me luck! This will test my umbrella, my tent, my readiness, my rain gear, and my resolve. Updates upon my return.

Have a nice week everyone!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Hey guys, I don't think folks have talked too much about resupply, but I encourage you to take advantage of resupply when you can, especially in the beginning. This can really help you reduce your pack weight. Even two pounds (1 day of food) can make a difference. You can feel it on your back and on your feet.

Everyone's different, but most hikers don't have a huge appetite just starting out. Although it's possible to have a cold snap where it gets down into the 30s (rare), the chance of snow or ice is almost nil. Road crossings and side trails are frequent, so it's not like you would be stranded in deep wilderness if you ran low on food. You should have a little extra margin, but not the margin of food that you would need, say, in the Smokies in February. I have found that 1 1/2 pounds per day is enough for me doing 10-ish miles a day on section-hikes; bigger guys or those with high metabolism might need more. Later on you might require more.

The towns of Blue Ridge Summit/Waynesboro, PA are just a short distance north of the Maryland line, and has resupply. It's a few miles off the Trail. If you look at your guidebooks, you may also see places of lodging in the Cascade, Maryland/Waynesboro, PA area that may pick you up at the Trail, slackpack, or shuttle.

By the way, ATC's shuttle list can be found at www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation.
    Thanks, Laurie. I have a Guidebook and a set of AT maps from 2012. I know there have been some minor changes on the trail. What I've been more concerned with are Post Office or Hostel closings. Can you, or anyone on the thread, provide any significant info about that?

Thank You!

Registered User BrandtCantWatch's Avatar

Anyone else freaking out? I will be on the trail in 20 days. I am so not ready for this haha. I plan to average around 7 miles a day for the first week or two. I hope all you ffers catch up to me.
    "Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man"

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    More good info, Laurie, than you!

Well, I'm heading out this morning for my last shake-down hike. Four days and forty miles. The forecast is for warm weather, and 2.5 inches of rain! Four days in the rain, likely all alone. Wish me luck! This will test my umbrella, my tent, my readiness, my rain gear, and my resolve. Updates upon my return.

Have a nice week everyone!
    What does your back weigh?

Ladyofthewoods, the most significant hostel closing is the Free State Hostel, which was located at Wolfsville Road about 32 miles north of Harpers Ferry near Smithsburg. As I understand from the owner, it was nothing to do with problems with hikers.

There are also some relatively new businesses catering to hikers around PenMar/Cascade, MD and Blue Ridge Summit, and long-term resupply in Waynesboro, PA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bsteinberg View Post
    What does your back weigh?
    Dangerdave: good luck with your shake down! Also curious about your pack weight...
    Simple is good.

I mean What pack weight

How about everyone sounds off with their Pack Weight.

Images

At 32lbs with 3 days of food and 2 L water... still a work in progress, trying for 28 lbs
    Simple is good.

Good luck DangerDave. I'm only worried about the rain. With my gear and how I will do in the rain.

Images

Right at 14 lbs without food or water

Still deciding about what to bring and what I can do without. My weight without food, fuel and water ranges between 18- and 23-lbs depending on what I ultimately take with me. I'm starting with a hybrid summer/winter gear mix (dare I call it a Spring mix?) and plan to swap out gear several times.

My biggest indecision is whether to bring my Kindle. It sure would be nice to ALWAYS have something to read, and always be able to connect to the Internet when close by a wireless router. I also have a lot of info and hiking resources on my Kindle - although I am also bringing the Companion hard copy, and a set of AWOL's pocket maps. Kindle weighs just over 1/2 lb.

I'm at about 13 lbs base. Maybe 12.5 or so. I figure Monday load to be 21-23 lbs. Still thinking, though....looking for grams (how many band-aids do I REALLY need??). I am doing a shakedown out of Bly on Monday - about a week or two, depending on my mood (anyone wanna join me?).....Then I will know more.

32lbs. with food for 3 days and 2.5 liters of water. Spring/warm weather mix of clothes...trying to figure that out. Wish I could get lower, but I don't have a lot of hope:-(

Default Flip Flip Kick Off event details on new thread

Now that we have a poster and have just issued a press release, I just started a new thread about the Flip Flop Kick Off under the "Get Togethers" section of WhiteBlaze at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...40#post1962140.

Every day there are more exciting elements coming together! The schedule (at www.appalachiantrail.org/flipflop) doesn't reflect them all.

- Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    32lbs. with food for 3 days and 2.5 liters of water. Spring/warm weather mix of clothes...trying to figure that out. Wish I could get lower, but I don't have a lot of hope:-(
    How about dumping a liter of water. I tend to only carry about 1.5 liters and guzzle at water spots. I also drink a liter leaving camp.

That can save 2 pounds.

How about dumping a liter of water. I tend to only carry about 1.5 liters and guzzle at water spots. I also drink a liter leaving camp.

That can save 2 pounds.
    Bsteinberg, Yes, I could start out with less. I'm also prone to not wanting to stop and filter along the way. Maybe it's because I use the Platypus Gravity Works. Got to stop, take pack off, dig for the filter/bag, do the filtering, get it in my bladder, put it all back....ugh. Should I go with a different filter system?

My father (Stumbler) and I are starting NB out of Harpers Ferry on 4/22. He is finishing his section hike (the whole north half of the trail plus some VA). I'm planning to do a flip-flop time permitting. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the trail!

Images

Ladyofthewoods, I used to use a bladder too but found I never knew how much water I had until I ran out. Now I use gatorade and smartwater bottles and an evernew collaspable bottle to filter with the the sawyer squeeze. Much easier and lighter.

Update! Four day hike turn into two!

Well, some lessons learned, here:

1) Don't trust the weather man! Highs in the 70s, NOT! Lows in the 60s, NO! The rain brought in cooler temp on Tuesday. The hollow where camp 6 was located dropped into the 40s Tuesday night after the rain ended. The skies cleared (not predicted), the moon came out, and temp plummeted past what I was prepared for. How could they be 20 degrees off?! My light summer sleeping bag was inadequate, even with my light long underwear on. I didn't shiver, but I was disturbed by goose bumps all night when the cool air seeped into my bag. Not fun! The tent worked great, as did my wonderful umbrella (thanks Wired!) to keep off the rain, and hail, and wind! (see #2 below).

2) Pay attention to the weather man! It wasn't raining when I awoke Wednesday morning. It was very cool, but a hot cup of coffee and a few Pop Tarts got me going. I packed up my wet tent, preformed my morning "camp chores" and checked my phone for messages. There was an urgent message from my wife telling me that severe weather was headed my way. Watches and warnings had popped up ahead of an upper level trough cutting across southern Ohio. Big storms had already formed, with high winds, hail, possible tornadoes and torrential rain. As I reloaded my pack, noting some items I would be shedding, I pondered my choices. I was 10 miles from my truck after Tuesday's hike in, and it was another 10 miles to the next camp I was aiming for. But the storms and my bag had me thinking. My wife's message had a tone of worry, the one I've learned to listen to (or maybe I'm just well trained). If I hiked to the next camp, I'd be committed to whatever weather was coming, and to my thin summer bag. I decided to err with safety and promptly heading for my truck. Two days were better than none. On the way to my truck, I passed through three thunderstorms. Two of them as I crossed the last ridge before the trail head. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced! Cold rain blowing sideways, pea-sized hail, lightening blasting all around. Parts of the trail turned into washes. Stopping was pointless (or dangerous), so I munched Cliff Bars and kept going. By the time I reached my truck, I had climbed over or bushwhacked around five huge trees that had been blown down in the storms. It was just crazy! I got to the trail head around 2pm and called my wife to tell her I was on my way home. She was relieved, to say the least. That evening (yesterday) the storms got much worse over the whole area. The place where I would have been camping was right in the middle of it all. No doubt, I had made a good choice.

What I learned (despite the above): That cheap summer bag is trash! I'm taking my warmer bag on the AT. If it's warm, I'll sleep on top, but I will not spend another night in the woods being cold. I've got a few things to ditch from my pack. My food choices are going to work out great! And my Chrome Dome trekking umbrella is awesome!!! Do I need tot say that again. AWESOME! It was my saving grace though days of rain and storms. I will never hike without it!

IMG_1125.JPG
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++