WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Try the HF WV Teahorse Hostel, Laurel the owner has a sizeable lot in back, she might let u store it, or have suggestions as to where. I stayed there last week, NoBo.
    GrayGhost

Images

Lauriep: thank you for the update and your dedication to this event!

I met Blissful on the south bound leg of her thru near Catfish fire tower in NJ. I was part of a motley group of day hikers who had a brief conversation with her. This was about 5 years ago and it will be great to see her again. I wonder if she remembers us?
    Simple is good.

I highly recommend anyone who plans to hike the AT read this book (follow the link, below) - ESPECIALLY those of us in the less-than-spring-chicken category. This 66-year old grandmother hiked the AT TWICE wearing canvas tennis shoes and carrying everything in a pillow case thrown over her shoulder. No tent. No stove. No sleeping bag. There were not a lot of shelters back then. It is truly an inspiring book.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=ddL0AgAAQBAJ

Just my 2-cents worth

Dave

Images

Grandma was one tough cookie! I love that she just told her family one day that she was "going for a walk." Sometimes it's just that simple. The Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus had a pair of her trail-worn sneakers on display last fall when I stopped in. Seeing them put things in perspective for me. When I get cold, wet, hungry, hot, tired and achy, I'm going to reflect on Miz Emma's grit.

Spam has foil wrapped...found it at Walmart. Figuring out my food for my shake down. I like to figure at least 100 calories per once. Some foods are more. Not sure what the average weight of a day of food. I figure 1-2 pounds, say a day.

Thanks for the props Laurie. It was so great having you at my kick off!! Tomorrow I hit the trail and I am bringing you a present!! It's tiny but cool!! Humminbard, I am looking forward to meeting you soon! Thanks for the kindness in advance. And I look forward to seeing you all in about a month!!

"Feets don't fail me now!" Willie Best

Treehugger,

You have been a real leader and inspiration to us all in so many capacities! I'll be with you in spirit today and every day as you walk north toward Harpers Ferry.

Don't push, don't worry about miles, they will come. You've got lots of time. Baby your feet, stop a lot. Much pain can be reduced or eliminated by simple, early adjustments.

Enjoy the beauty of the trail!

"Mountain Laurel"

Images

Good luck Treehugger! See you in HF.

Be safe, my good woman! Keep us posted.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Treehugger, I just took a walk on the beach here in Florida (hardly any elevation change , and am imagining your trek through the beautiful Blue Ridge. Please take Laurie's advice and go slow. I'll be on-call waiting to hear from you next week. Let us know how the first night goes. Hope you see lots of Easter bunnies!

Images

Fellow Flip-floppers, I'm still making gear decisions and would like your advice, based on the May 3 departure. First is rain gear: I have an ultralight Dri Ducks suit, but wonder if it's a versatile enough shell or if I'd be better off bringing a Gore-Tex or H2O-No (Patagonia) thicker jacket for high winds and blowing rain? Second, I know that people have debated this to death, but what are your thoughts on synthetic puffy versus down puffy (like Ghost Whisperer or Nano Puff or similar)? My pack space is limited so I like the squishability and lightness of down, but am a little worried by stories of extended rain and dampness during AT thru-hikes. What are y'all taking?

I don't usually have problems with the cold, and I generate a lot of heat while hiking. Just thinking about down makes me sweat. I'm taking my lightweight synthetic long underwear (top and bottom), a medium weight synthetic top (for layering) and The North Face vented rain gear set for rain and wind break. I'm also taking both my umbrella and my rain hat so I can compare the two during use (and they're both pretty light). With this clothing set, I'm warm if I'm walking. And if it's really cool and I'm not walking, I'll be by the fire or in my bag.

But I don't think we'll have to deal with much cool weather after the beginning of May. Perhaps this would be a good question for past Flip Floppers to answer (i.e., what sort of weather they encountered on their northern leg).
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

I am taking a parcho its like the poncho cedartree sells that covers you and your pack. For warmth I have a myog syn vest , fleece pullover and wind shirt

It's Sat. night 4-4 and there's a big moon tonight, full or nearly full. That means we'll have a nearly full moon on out 1st night out. Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbard View Post
    Fellow Flip-floppers, I'm still making gear decisions and would like your advice, based on the May 3 departure. First is rain gear: I have an ultralight Dri Ducks suit, but wonder if it's a versatile enough shell or if I'd be better off bringing a Gore-Tex or H2O-No (Patagonia) thicker jacket for high winds and blowing rain? Second, I know that people have debated this to death, but what are your thoughts on synthetic puffy versus down puffy (like Ghost Whisperer or Nano Puff or similar)? My pack space is limited so I like the squishability and lightness of down, but am a little worried by stories of extended rain and dampness during AT thru-hikes. What are y'all taking?
    I'm taking down (down jacket and down sleeping bag) - in ultra-waterproof stuff sacks - and will do my darndest to keep it dry! Like you, I like squishibility AND very light weight.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    It's Sat. night 4-4 and there's a big moon tonight, full or nearly full. That means we'll have a nearly full moon on out 1st night out. Nice!!
    Yep - 4-weeks to go.

So.... Just how many folks are planning to depart from HF during May 2-3?

Seems with all the talk and banter, I missed the estimated numbers.....

Anybody have any idea?

Images

A while back Laurie posted that there were 42 flipping from HF and 42 flipping from other locations.

Images

Good golly! Will there be a keynote address? It's going to be great to watch the Big Bang expand out on the trail. HAPPY EASTER to all you Runaway Bunnies!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    A while back Laurie posted that there were 42 flipping from HF and 42 flipping from other locations.
    Laurie had a recent post that said she is working on updating the list. I imagine she will post the info here when she has it.

Do they have room for all of us for the kick-off meeting?

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++