WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I want to as well! I'm not new to hiking the SNP, but to backcountry camping. I want to take a week or so off to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If getting off the AT in SNP to resupply in a town, there are two options mid-hike.

The best, with the most numerous options, would be found by hitching west via US211 (at Thornton Gap) to Luray. Three supermarkets including a smallish Super WalMart, laundromats, restaurants, lodging, bars, theatre, post office, and more. Both AT guidebooks include Luray town maps. Thru-hikers and long distance section hikers seem to like Luray because it is almost exactly at the halfway point between Waynesboro and Harpers Ferry.

Regarding the hitch to Luray: You'll have better luck if you do NOT try to hitch right where the AT crosses US211. There just isn't any good place right there for drivers to safely pull off the road who might want to pick you up, and if travelling at even a modest speed they won't even see you until it's too late. Instead, walk a few minutes uphill (east) to just beyond the Skyline Drive bridge and try to hitch there. Not only is there a better place for drivers to pull over, but SNP visitors exiting the Park nearby (who might be in more of a mindset to help hikers than the rest of the public driving from the eastern flatlands) can see you better and check out the situation while they are driving.

The other resupply option is to hitch west at US33 (Swift Run Gap) to Elkton. Not nearly as much to offer, but enough to get by.

If you just need food resupplies, you can do so in-season right in the Park. There are campstores with some (but not an overwhelming selection of) hiker foods and other supplies. Prices will be higher than in town supermarkets, but it's convenient.

Hiking NOBO, these stores are at:
    Loft Mt. Campground
    Lewis Mt.
    Big Meadows Wayside
    Elkwallow Wayside

The lodges at Big Meadows and Skyland do not have campstores for resupply, but do serve food if you just want something to eat on premises or to take with you.
    Last edited by Skyline; 02-24-2015 at 00:25.

And if you go to Luray, and do not get a crab cake sandwich at Mok-N-She's you are wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++