WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear upgrade for Christmas, Sleeping Bag

I am a weekend and week long section hiker. My total 3 season pack weight including 5 days food and 2 liters of water is 29 to 30 lbs and with several gear upgrades I should be down to 25.
    Current sleeping bag, a cheap 35 deg synthetic 2 lb that is uncomfortably cold below 45 deg for me. I want to be WARM! Coldest I expect to be out 30 deg.

I am looking at a ZPacks 20 deg sleeping bag, regular/long (900 fill down) http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml. At about $400 and 18 oz. it looks like a good deal.

What are your thoughts? Is this bag as good as advertised?

Big Agnes st REI for less than $200. I know the Zpack stuff is light but 3lb is not bad

Hammock Gear Burrow 20 top quilt, if you are using a sleeping pad, anyway.

I have the NeoAir XTherm. This top quilt is so warm I think it will manage 20 F.

I just got this gear, myself.

I just bought the zpack 20* bag. I haven't used it yet but I'm going from a 20* synthetic bag to the down and all I can say about the weight/bulk is....well, I'm still stunned by the difference in weight and the room I now have in my pack. Can't weight to get on the trail.

Images

Everything I've had from Zpacks has been top notch, though I haven't seen the sleeping bags.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thought about a Western Mountaineering product? Buy one of these babies and you have a top quality sleeping bag for life. I love my WM Megalite. Perfect 30 degree bag for me.

I see the Zpacks bag comes in widths. Make sure you get one to fit you properly.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Thought about a Western Mountaineering product? Buy one of these babies and you have a top quality sleeping bag for life. I love my WM Megalite. Perfect 30 degree bag for me.
    I've got the WM Ultralite 20 used from another member on here on GearSwap. Best damn bag I've ever had! 29 oz. and had it out to 10 degrees the other night inside a MSR Hubba with the wind howling. With long johns and socks on and a hat. Perfectly warm.

I can't speak to the zpack but I just spent last night in my hummingbird from Feathered Friends and it is absolutely my favorite piece of gear. It was 21 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm selling a Montbell UL Super Spiral #1 down bag, 15*, for $250, in like new condition. It's a regular size. Check my post.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    I am a weekend and week long section hiker. My total 3 season pack weight including 5 days food and 2 liters of water is 29 to 30 lbs and with several gear upgrades I should be down to 25.
    Current sleeping bag, a cheap 35 deg synthetic 2 lb that is uncomfortably cold below 45 deg for me. I want to be WARM! Coldest I expect to be out 30 deg.

I am looking at a ZPacks 20 deg sleeping bag, regular/long (900 fill down) http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml. At about $400 and 18 oz. it looks like a good deal.

What are your thoughts? Is this bag as good as advertised?
    I just got a Feathered Friends 30 degree down bag weighs 24oz's and cost $414.00 and it's a helluva lot more durable and a better quality than that Z-Packs thing.

++ New Posts ++